Post-Game Talk: So, what shall we complain about today, Fellas?

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
GUYS. I have an idea. What if we all just start pretending that the Art Ross Trophy is the Stanley Cup???
Or every time our goalie lets in the first shot we all win ice cream.

GifMeme 25022023121946.gif

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
Frustrating game for so many reasons.

You have to think if you’re Mcdavid after tonight you’re looking around like what more can you do.

Get some help holland.

Ibanez

Dec 1, 2014
Frustrating game for so many reasons.

You have to think if you’re Mcdavid after tonight you’re looking around like what more can you do.

Get some help holland.
He should probably have a good chat with his buddy Nurse and tell him to get his effing head out of his ass. They are supposed to be close. Time to start asking for accountability.

Reactions: Duke74

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Can we fire Jack Michaels into the sun ? He's so damn animated, it's unnecessary.
I had to watch the Columbus broadcast, which was... poor.

On the first shift, the Blue Jackets' play-by-play guy referred to McDavid as "Davidson".

He generally seemed to have no idea who half the Oilers' players were.

After Foegele scored, and during and after they showed the replay of his goal four times, NOT ONCE did either of the Columbus broadcasters reference 'Foegele' by name. The entire sequence passed without either of them mentioning the name of the guy who scored the goal.

Late in the 2nd, after coincidental minors were called and all the players were lined up and ready to go, the guy said "and now we have 5 on 4." The color guy immediately corrected him: "Uh, no, it's 4 on 3."

And so on.

Could be worse than carnival-barker Jack.

Oh, it was a sad and embarrassing game, obviously. But, meh, they've been playing pretty well, I'm not really arsed.

McDavid was God-like again.

At least Desharnais still hasn't been a minus in any NHL game of his career (not that he played particularly well). Rough game for Broberg and Campbell.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
I kinda want Koskinen back.
I always wondered how much his decline was about the defence or just his own shortcomings. Goalies do react to D, even if they wouldn't want to. Rongos have their Shesterkin now playing small and near the goal line because no confidence on the D clearing pucks.

What happened to Niemelainen, BTW? Good hitting for a while but AHL level overall? Or have I missed something? (Everything?)

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
I've stopped watching games. I see my skepticism has paid off. Not investing my time in a team that it's GM has no interest in fixing the problems they have.

If I was Kenny I'd be calling Anaheim and seeing what Gibson would cost and swapping Campbell for him. Calling and trying to get a pair of top 4 defensive dmen and replacing Puljujarvi and Yamamoto with some defensively capable wingers. O'Reilly was my dream but that has sailed.

Just so disgusted with how pathetic Holland is, how do we get a veteran and he turns out to be no better than Tamballini

• Wow
Reactions: Maple Leaf

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Pace can always be improved, and his defense will improve over time as he gains more experience. His strength is his hockey sense, and it's going to take a few years to work out the kinks. Mind you, you can tell he's frustrated and upset when he makes a bad read or messes up on a play, it's not like he doesn't give a shit.

When I'm talking things you can't fix, I mean like Yamamoto's severe lack of size and Puljujarvi lack of hands/hockey sense. Those are basic toolset things that are insurmountable at this point.
Low motor is an intrinsic trait that I think is very difficult to change.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Nurse a +1 today. But let's blame him when we have Broberg giving up pucks every play.
I have stuck up for Nurse many times, but even Woodcroft called out his first period goal-gift. The team immediately slumped.

He tried a cross ice, neutral zone pass through three Blue Jackets instead of just chipping Foegele the puck who was wide open, six feet in front of him. The easy play. The play his coaches want him to make.

Instead he gives it away and then tries skating to the bench. Players and the coaches yell at him to stay out there as he just gave up the puck, so he pouts, turns around and then does nothing constructive which pretty much further caused the goal, and then pouts again after it is in the net.

He has the talent to make up for it and end up +1, but the damage was done.

It appears that he only listens to the coaches for a little while, gets bored or something, and then starts doing his own thing again.

Then the fans get mad at him because the giveaways and bad plays start. Then other players start to do their own thing as he is a leader who they follow. So you start to see Bouchard dangle and try low-percentage passes just like Nurse. Then things tumble further down.

Hopefully he gets it soon.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
His development issues (principally faster processing speed) were mitigated last year with a faded elite defender who could stabilize the bad moments of life at apex competition speed. This year, on a team expecting deep playoff run, he's thrown out with a fellow green banana and expected to stabilize the bottom pair minute requirements on a team in its winning window.

This is on management thinking they can short the vital backbone of legitimate NHL playoff team's, its defense corp. Add tire fire goaltending and Houston we can a problem believing this team can challenge for or win a Cup. Repeating myself, this team likely needs to execute its Iginlia Niewendyk trade to sacrifice a green banana d-man to step up the top end of this deficient platoon defense corp.
I’ll agree that the Oilers can’t afford to wait for him to get better. He’s best used as a trade chip for a significant upgrade.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Nurse a +1 today. But let's blame him when we have Broberg giving up pucks every play.
Broberg's first full year in the league. Playing with another youngster. Making the minimum. And has played pretty decently up to this point. Nurse with how many years in the league? Making over 9 million/year. Playing with another vet. And having a very uneven season.

There's an expectation for both of these players that is very, very different, and I would hope that you can see that.

Yes. As they say, "better to have to pull the reins back, than have to use the whip."

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I've stopped watching games. I see my skepticism has paid off. Not investing my time in a team that it's GM has no interest in fixing the problems they have.

If I was Kenny I'd be calling Anaheim and seeing what Gibson would cost and swapping Campbell for him. Calling and trying to get a pair of top 4 defensive dmen and replacing Puljujarvi and Yamamoto with some defensively capable wingers. O'Reilly was my dream but that has sailed.

Just so disgusted with how pathetic Holland is, how do we get a veteran and he turns out to be no better than Tamballini
You're an Oilers fan and you've stopped watching the greatest player on Earth and the 2nd greatest player in the history of the franchise. Anybody can make their own decision but its entertainment and I'm well entertained. Its fantastic watching Connor McDavid. You'll never see another player like this in Oilers silks. We went 30yrs without a player like this and are extremely fortunate to have him.

Grand kids will ask what it was like seeing the greatest playres in hockey and you'll say I stopped watching because of Ken Holland....

Your skepticism is only depriving yourself of excellent entertainment. You don't get a do over on this experience. We'll never have another player like this. I watch him as much as I can because I fully appreciate how rare this gift is. .

Last edited:

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
You're an Oilers fan and you've stopped watching the greatest player on Earth and the 2nd greatest player in the history of the franchise. Anybody can make their own decision but its entertainment and I'm well entertained. Its fantastic watching Connor McDavid. You'll never see another player like this in Oilers silks. We went 30yrs without a player like this and are extremely fortunate to have him.

Grand kids will ask what it was like seeing the greatest playres in hockey and you'll say I stopped watching because of Ken Holland....

Your skepticism is only depriving yourself of excellent entertainment. You don't get a do over on this experience. We'll never have another player like this. I watch him as much as I can because I fully appreciate how rare this gift is. .
Mental health means more to me than entertainment. I can entertain myself in lots of ways and watch other teams play.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Mental health means more to me than entertainment. I can entertain myself in lots of ways and watch other teams play.
f you've ceased being a fan of the club and ceased watching them why is it important to state that view here? I don't get it.

Sorry about any condition or impact in anycase.

Can't say either that its a great look having a Wings and Leafs avatar here. Maybe post there if you despise the Oilers so much.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid and TB12

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Lots of players have been accused of such a thing, Mario Lemieux was accused of it for many years despite how absurd claim was, you can see it in every thread these days of the people frustrated thinking Drai doesn't give a shit or something. Some players are just like that, all that matters is that they are effective on the ice, not that they look like busy bodies.

He's going through adversity right now in a league where it's not uncommon for young defensemen to be liabilities, but he still has a huge amount of potential and will likely be a very good offensive defenseman at his peak that drives some fans nuts because he doesn't look like he's trying hard enough.

Reactions: Duke74

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Lots of players have been accused of such a thing, Mario Lemieux was accused of it for many years despite how absurd claim was, you can see it in every thread these days of the people frustrated thinking Drai doesn't give a shit or something. Some players are just like that, all that matters is that they are effective on the ice, not that they look like busy bodies.

He's going through adversity right now in a league where it's not uncommon for young defensemen to be liabilities, but he still has a huge amount of potential and will likely be a very good offensive defenseman at his peak that drives some fans nuts because he doesn't look like he's trying hard enough.
It’s not that he looks like he isn’t trying, it’s that he gets caught in puck retrieval situations because he isn’t skating hard enough. He also delays too much sometimes with the puck and gets caught. He just doesn’t play with any urgency, even when urgency is needed.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I don't care Minny needed OT to beat Columbus, they still beat Columbus. Still pissed off they lost yesterday after scoring 5.

Boston beating Vancouver runs their record to 13-1 against bottom 8 teams.

Reactions: K1900L

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
And that guy referenced by your username ain't exactly chopped liver either. :nod:

For much of my adult life, the Oilers stars were players like Ranford and Weight; Cujo, Smyth, Hemsky, and Hall. That we now have two players of the calibre of McDavid and Draisaitl is truly remarkable.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad