so what exactly happened?

Riddick

Feb 29, 2004
I was watching some videos of the islanders and me matey and i were discussing how the team was so drastically different in their attitude from 2010/2011 to 2011/2012. Part of the thoughts were the lack of a "leader" like konopka but, from the second they signed reasoner, it was herald as an upgrade. From the second the puck dropped in the first game of the season the team looked NOTHING like the team in the second half of the 2010/2011 season. It cant be simply something like ONE person leaving made a difference, can it?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Judging by interviews from when he was on the team, Zenon brought a different personailty to the locker room, I wouldn't call it "leadership" though. To me it seemed like he was a blue collar worker in a room of buisnessmen. He was able to light fires under the team's ass when no one else would/could. To be honest, what he brought to this team personality wise can be filled with a player of better talent. At the end of the day he seemed like a meathead, but I think every team needs a meathead, it's just Zenon is not that good.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bear in mind it's 3 a.m. so my thoughts are really jumbled.

Last edited:

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Judging by interviews from when he was on the team, Zenon brought a different personailty to the locker room, I wouldn't call it "leadership" though. To me it seemed like he was a blue collar worker in a room of buisnessmen. He was able to light fires under the team's ass when no one else would/could. To be honest, what he brought to this team personality wise can be filled with a player of better talent. At the end of the day he seemed like a meathead, but I think every team needs a meathead, it's just Zenon is not that good.

True, but I do think Konopka was part of the meaner mentality they had halfway through that season. I think Capuano was willing to let the team 'pick it's "leader"/image' as well, and Konopka just kind of slipped into that role.

Pretty soon though, we'll have 3 or 4 defensemen of a similar grittier temperament with a chance to break into the line-up - a whopping THREE with captain/alternate experience - Reinhart & Pelech have been recognized as leaders, Hamonic's already been so on both the Island and Bridgeport, and Mayfield & Pedan are still on the way.

Factor Martin, Cizikas and Ullstrom to this, and I think the sort of snarl both the Islanders and Soung Tigers benefit from will be built-in if all ends up properly, and they all have upsides that Konopka, couldn't offer (other than some quantity of inspiration and face-offs.)

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
Zenon was very much a leader....an emotional leader. Guys like that have it in them naturally. They are the most popular, most outgoing and speak up when called to. Trottier was the same way. Not a classic captain like Denis or Brent, but a guy who got the lockerroom on board in his own way and got guys motivated.

Who is like that on the Isles? I don't know anyone, because most are still too young. Another reason why I support having key vets who can contribute with kids......to show them how the game is played on ice and IN THE LOCKERROOM. (very important to teach them how to WIN, like Eddie Westfall did as we all know)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad