So what exactly happened that made the NHL want to go to the Olympics this time?

Cursed Lemon

Registered Bruiser
Nov 10, 2011
Dey-Twah, MI
Was having a discussion on Reddit and realized that I never actually figured out why the NHL decided to say yes this go-around. While I know the CBA specifies the Olympics, I also don't think the situations involving either the insurance issue or the broadcasting rights issue were ever resolved. So...why? Did the NHL get something out of the last CBA in lieu of conceding to the Olympics?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Was having a discussion on Reddit and realized that I never actually figured out why the NHL decided to say yes this go-around. While I know the CBA specifies the Olympics, I also don't think the situations involving either the insurance issue or the broadcasting rights issue were ever resolved. So...why? Did the NHL get something out of the last CBA in lieu of conceding to the Olympics?

I'm sure that the players gave up something along the way in the negotiations. The NHL was always said to be keen on the 2022 Olympics, in the massive Chinese market, compared to the 2018 Olympics in Korea, but they've also agreed to 2026. I recall reading that the insurance situation was cleared up but I'm not sure what the source was or if it was definitive.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I will agree that I am not getting excited about this quite yet as nothing is 100% with this thing. I would suspect there could be something that changes this in the future. Maybe I'm wrong, I hope so.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
They got something in exchange for it during bargaining.

Plus, I assume there will be NO All Star Game so that's a positive for me.

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
My guess is it's the same reason they wanted to go to ESPN, namely they are worried about cultural relevance.

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I'm pretty sure it means the date could be moved if the NHL doesn't go to the Olympics. There's a scheduled three week break in February right now, which is longer than necessary for just the Olympics.
When there was a Olympic break and NHL participation, the NHL cancelled the All Star Game in 2006, 2010 and 2014. My guess, they will do the same in 2022 IF the players go...

NHL All-Star Game - Wikipedia

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I'm sure that the players gave up something along the way in the negotiations. The NHL was always said to be keen on the 2022 Olympics, in the massive Chinese market, compared to the 2018 Olympics in Korea, but they've also agreed to 2026. I recall reading that the insurance situation was cleared up but I'm not sure what the source was or if it was definitive.

Vancouver and Salt Lake City are top dogs for 2030, so we could see NHL players in OG also in that year.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
A potential market with over a billion people. While missing 2018 was a massive mistake and having NHL players in the games is great for the sport, at least were guaranteed to see what could be the best Olympics of the era (i.e. since NHL players were allowed to participate)

ijuka

May 14, 2016
It's pretty stupid to not have them go to Olympics. It's the best way to advertize the game to new audiences. People who might never see hockey otherwise will see it during the Olympics.

They probably realized that it was an atrocious business decision.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
aebcbeaf3bd27133.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad