So what do we need and where do we need depth

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
the jets need a 2nd line left winger unless of course nic petan finally blooms into a playmaker and is able to play on the first line with sheifele and laine.

I like Petan, but he's not likely gonna crack Top 6 for the next two seasons at least and if he does live up to a high End player I still doubt he makes the Top 6 because of Connor, Roslovic and Vesalainen(in the coming seasons) also no one is topping Ehlers, he's got more chemistry with Laine then Scheifele had and is already Elite in his second season while Petan is older smaller and slower(considering Ehlers is probably only slower than McDavid and that's still questionable imo). If Petan can re-establish himself into a Center in the AHL or in the Top 9 then he might be a Top 6 in the future(it's funny arguing that it's easier to be a Top 6 Center than a Top 6 Winger).

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Coaching
And a better 3rd line centre

Defense is still questionable, but okay for now
See how buff and Myers plays

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
petan lacks speed and size, but does have skilled hands, the problem is he has to play with really good players like laine and scheifele.
I like Petan, but he's not likely gonna crack Top 6 for the next two seasons at least and if he does live up to a high End player I still doubt he makes the Top 6 because of Connor, Roslovic and Vesalainen(in the coming seasons) also no one is topping Ehlers, he's got more chemistry with Laine then Scheifele had and is already Elite in his second season while Petan is older smaller and slower(considering Ehlers is probably only slower than McDavid and that's still questionable imo). If Petan can re-establish himself into a Center in the AHL or in the Top 9 then he might be a Top 6 in the future(it's funny arguing that it's easier to be a Top 6 Center than a Top 6 Winger).

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
petan lacks speed and size, but does have skilled hands, the problem is he has to play with really good players like laine and scheifele.

I think Perreault also fits the 2nd line LW spot just fine and we don't need upgrade there for now. Even Connor could make his way into that spot this coming season if he does well enough.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Coaching.
A better 3C to push Lowsy down to where he should be.
1 or ideally 2 D for the inevitable 30+ games when we have 4 of our top 6 injured.

Personally, I'd stop looking at the roster as it is. We know the optimum lineup will see 5 games this season, maximum. The other 77 will be a combination of injuries and Maurice's sub-optimal asset/skill deployment. What do we look like then?

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
Coaching.
1 or ideally 2 D for the inevitable 30+ games when we have 4 of our top 6 injured.

Personally, I'd stop looking at the roster as it is. We know the optimum lineup will see 5 games this season, maximum. The other 77 will be a combination of injuries and Maurice's sub-optimal asset/skill deployment. What do we look like then?

well the good news is one of copp Petan and Dano will fill in the first injury. Then let's hope if a skill guy goes down that Roslo gets recalled. Chiarot is a good 7 and can step in for first injury and then I see Poolman filling in next void. We have depth. But if we get to 3-4 D Or F injured at same time again we will struggle.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
Coaching.

Still a playoff team in my opinion.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
What I like about this years team is there are young players at every position waiting in the wings to fill in as injury depth. When there are injuries hopefully they will be given good chances in important roles and have an opportunity to show they belong. I think any number of guys like Dano, Copp, Petan, Roslovic, Poolman, Niku, etc. could excel when given the chance at a bigger role and possibly bump someone out of the top 9 f/ top 6 d who is underperforming.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
What I like about this years team is there are young players at every position waiting in the wings to fill in as injury depth. When there are injuries hopefully they will be given good chances in important roles and have an opportunity to show they belong. I think any number of guys like Dano, Copp, Petan, Roslovic, Poolman, Niku, etc. could excel when given the chance at a bigger role and possibly bump someone out of the top 9 f/ top 6 d who is underperforming.

The kids will all be given a chance to show they belong. There is next to no veteran depth on the team any longer. You only have 4 forwards over the age of 25 and 3 are established top players (Wheeler, Little & MP). Only Matthias would be considered bottom 6 veteran depth. On defense they are now established in their top 6, with only Chiarot that could be considered veteran depth at #7. All the remaining defensive depth is young guys on ELC's waiting for their opportunities.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016
The kids will all be given a chance to show they belong. There is next to no veteran depth on the team any longer. You only have 4 forwards over the age of 25 and 3 are established top players (Wheeler, Little & MP). Only Matthias would be considered bottom 6 veteran depth. On defense they are now established in their top 6, with only Chiarot that could be considered veteran depth at #7. All the remaining defensive depth is young guys on ELC's waiting for their opportunities.

Exactly. No more 2nd line Thorburn :)

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
The young depth at forward is incredible going into next season. When injuries show up at the forward position it will be interesting which kid takes the ball and runs with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad