So what do we need and where do we need depth

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
It seems that we are looking pretty good and I'm looking forward to this next season. We have a strong top 6 in the forward positions plus good the 3rd and 4 lines and some depth. The D seems reasonable and if they stay healthy we should do alright in all 3 pairing. This should help our goaltenders.

SO what do we need to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Defense all the way. Maybe we have enough to get by (if Buff smartens up, Myers stay healthy, and Enstrom and Kulikov return to form), but as you can see by all the ifs, we need defense

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
It seems that we are looking pretty good and I'm looking forward to this next season. We have a strong top 6 in the forward positions plus good the 3rd and 4 lines and some depth. The D seems reasonable and if they stay healthy we should do alright in all 3 pairing. This should help our goaltenders.

SO what do we need to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs?

A well proven coach.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Chevy signs Dmitry Kulikov for 50% more than the rest of the league would and he's the hero and Maurice is the whipping boy now. I think I'm catching on here.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Are the forwards strong enough? What about a faceoff guy that is 55%+

a strong veteran PK presence with faceoff abilities in the bottom 6 would be alright. Hopefully Lowry becomes that guy. Other than that a good offensive 3C if none of our guys are up to the test.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
Honestly, the lineup we have right now, if healthy and if Mason performed at his best could go deep into the playoffs, but it will always be halted by poor coaching if we continue to get it. Internal growth will make this team contenders from here on forward, but whether they ever win or not will depend on if the coaching improves or not.

CorgisPer60

Barking at the net
Apr 15, 2012
Please Understand
Our chief needs of depth are still defense, though it's not as bad as it once was. I believe Kulikov will attribute himself as a good third pair D, and Morrissey-Trouba will be a good 1st pair.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
We need a quality two way center and as far as depth goes, I would say we need more centers with a 2C ceiling.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I think some simple stuff.

Convert some mid pack forward prospects into another D prospect.
Add a 4-6D lottery ticket to the equation.

Adding an elite prospect to this mix in the next 2 years would be massive. If Chevy is forced to move someone that he doesn't want to hopefully part of the return could be a real shot at a high pick. (extra 1st)

I'm hesitant to make any changes for the first 20 games or so to see where the team is at.

(**Acquiring Muzzin would cost some big assets. That's likely not in our best interest to look at until after the Trouba decision)

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Chevy signs Dmitry Kulikov for 50% more than the rest of the league would and he's the hero and Maurice is the whipping boy now. I think I'm catching on here.

Well kinda yes....sports is like that.
The good thing is Stuart is gone.
Dmitry is a gamble and many have criticized Chevy for not gambling so thumbs up KC .
If Dmitry rounds up to previous form we are way farther ahead heck even if he doesn't we are still ahead.
Maurice needs to have an absolutely amazing year to avoid being the scapegoat unfortunately for him.
All I am concerned about is that we get off to a quick start.
I do think Maurice is capable enough so I am going to cheer louder and curse even louder than that.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Love to see Q from the Hawks get fired/quit and then come to the Jets as our new coach. Q is a top 5 coach in the nhl imo.

KurtG8

Apr 4, 2015
So this well proven coach that some of you want. I'd love to hear who is currently available to replace Maurice as a " Well Proven Coach"

FTR im not disagreeing that it is potentially a need, I'm just wondering how many " Well Proven Coaches" are just out there sitting in Limbo waiting for the Jets to phone?

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
So this well proven coach that some of you want. I'd love to hear who is currently available to replace Maurice as a " Well Proven Coach"

FTR im not disagreeing that it is potentially a need, I'm just wondering how many " Well Proven Coaches" are just out there sitting in Limbo waiting for the Jets to phone?

In August not many. There were choices last time but they never looked at anyone else.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
In August not many. There were choices last time but they never looked at anyone else.

Wonder how long Maurice was on the radar before Noel got axed ?
Were there any rumours that you guys recall ?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg

Darryl Sutter is pretty proven. Ruff, Tippett, Bylsma, Hartley, Crawford...

There are a few kicking around...

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I'll third that, what we have now is a coach with a long career who is no better than adequate.

This is the best chance Maurice will ever get imo. He has talent up and down his lineup. Let's hope he's learned some things and can make it work.

phamJET

Feb 1, 2010
the jets need a 2nd line left winger unless of course nic petan finally blooms into a playmaker and is able to play on the first line with sheifele and laine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad