Line Combos: So...What Are The Lines Gonna Be?

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
I have no clue right now about what the lines will be...

But I am envisioning (in my mind) something like:

Lucic - Krejci - Gagne
Marchand - Bergeron - Smith
Fraser - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Robins

Is that about right for who actually plays? Who else is there? I know there is Campbell who won't be ready to start the year and Pastrnak who will be heading back to Sweden...and Spooner might be around a lot.

I guess Florek, Griffith and Cunningham can be called up at anytime...

Reason I put Gagne on the 1st line is he is a scorer and reminds me a bit of Horton at times with his size and skills.

Can flip Fraser and Paille depending on needs...as well as Eriksson and Gagne.

What I don't see in this set of forwards is anything "DYNAMIC" - the kinds of skills Spooner and Pastrnak "could" bring. Might need to make a trade for a winger with this kind of skill, but more experience. Maybe Khoko is the answer? Anyone have an opinion on how he has looked?

Assuming the Bs might start the year with 11 forwards and 7 d...might Krug play forward in game 1? Will Krug see any more games at forward?

roflstomper

Barzal/Connor/Konecny
Sep 28, 2010
Rhode Island
I like the idea of Lucic-Krejci, Marchand-Begeron, Soderberg-Eriksson and Paille-Kelly with the holes filled in. Forcing Eriksson onto the top line doesn't make sense to me, no chemistry etc.

BruinsPortugal

Dec 3, 2009
Portugal
What they will be?
Lucic Krejci erikson
marchand bergeron smith
kelly sodrberg gagne
paille campbell frase

What they should look like?
lucic krejci pastaman(at least for 9 games or so)
marchand bergeron smith
spooner soderberg erikson
paille kelly campbell

oh well, im sure we will be fine.

Joe Zanussi

Jul 15, 2011
What they will be?
Lucic Krejci erikson
marchand bergeron smith
kelly sodrberg gagne
paille campbell frase

marchand bergeron smith
paille kelly campbell

I agree with every word you wrote (except I'd consider Fraser for the fourth line instead of Campbell)

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
Gagne is absolutely not playing on the top line.

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Marchand - bergeron - smith
Kelly - Soderberg - Gagne
Paille - Campbell - Fraser

Chara - Hamilton
Bart (yuck) - Seids
Krug - Quaid
Miller

This is what I envision Chia doing, not what I would want tho, which is this:

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson/Pastrnak (less likely now because we cleared cap space)
Spooner - Soderberg - Eriksson/Pastrnak/ Gagne
Paille - Soup - Kelly
Gagne

Chara - Hamilton
Krug - Seids
Bart - Quaid
Miller

But hey, let's play washed up Gagne over Spooner!

Kelly23

Pedroia and Drew
Nov 4, 2010
Boston
Lucic-Krejci-Smith
Marchand-Bergeron-Pasternak
Spooner-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Campbell
Fraser

Chara-Miller
Sides-Hamilton
Krug-McQuaid
Bartkowski

Pasternak is eased in with Bergy
Smith is put with DK
Eriksson and Soderberg get ligit talent to play with them
Kelly is the best 4C in the NHL at seasons end

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I think they'll go with...

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marsh-Bergy-Smith
Gagne-Soder-Fraser
Paille-Kelly-Robins
X: Spooner/Pasta

Chara-Hamilton
Bartkowski-Seid's
Krug-McQuaid
X: Miller

I have nothing against Gagne. I think once he gets up to speed he'll be a solid player, but I really hope they give Spooner more time to try out the wing. 1 game last year, 1 pre-season game and 1 pre-season period don't constitute a real "try" IMHO.

I also think Eriksson's days as a 1st liner are behind him. He's fine on a line with Soderberg, against lesser D pairs and in a less important role, but he's not cutting it as a go-to guy. Pastrnak could be that guy (eventually), but he's missed so much time and is so far behind it's hard to know whether or not they'll keep him or how much he can develop in 1 year.

I'll be curious to see who gets those minutes next to Seidenberg. Krug has the talent, Bart has the size. Last night, they chose Bart.

Needless to say, how they start is not how I expect them to finish. They just grabbed a bunch of picks and created some cap space. The rental market (i.e. UFA's to be) is crap, so Chiarelli's going to have to make a 'hockey deal' to get the B's what they lack.

Last edited:

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
What is it with this lovelfest for Gagne? Outside of a very productive past in his pre-concussion era, what does he have to offer? From the scrimmages and games I've seen he doesn't stand out. Some would say, he hasn't gotten his legs yet after a layoff of over a year. But, he's 34, and looks to me as a guy offering a reputation alone as his ticket to a roster spot.

Are you looking at him in the same light as Iginla in terms of reigniting his career? That would be a mistake.

Altamira

Sep 20, 2013
Massachusetts
Opening night lines

Lucic-Krejci-Loui
March-Berg-Smith
Gagne-Sod-Fraser
Paille-Kelly-Robins/Caron
Robins/Caron

Chara-Ham
Bart-Seid
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

Jordan Caron clears waivers and is the 4th line RW or 13th
Spooner back to Providence
Pastrnak back to Sweden

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
What I would do:

Lucic - Krejci - Fraser
Spooner - Soderberg - Eriksson
Paille - Kelly - Cunningham (or Campbell when healthy)

Extras: Robins
Cut: Caron, Gagne, Pastrnak

What Stone Clode will do:

Lucic - Krejci - Eriksson
Gagne - Soderberg - Kelly
Paille - Cunningham(or Campbell when healthy) - Caron

Extras: Robins
Cut - Spooner, Fraser, Pastrnak

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Lucic-Krejci-Fraser
Marchand-Bergeron-Sith
Gagne-Soderberg-Eriksson
Paille-Kelly-Spooner
Robins

I just want to add that Patrice Bergeron looks better than I have ever seen him play. He has been an absolute animal during the preseason and if he plays like this all season he could be in the conversation for MVP. He has looked the most dominant I have ever seen a forward in a Bruins uniform look in the 2 games I've watched.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
The way I see it after a couple kids (Spooner and Pastrnak) get a few games in and Campbell comes back is:

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Gagne/Fraser
Paille-Campbell-Robins
Fraser/Gagne

Chara-Hamilton
Bartkowski-Seidenberg
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

Rask
Svedberg

I think Julien will try to push Gagne on the third line, but Fraser will get some reps as well and ultimately take that spot, making Gagne the 13th forward.

Eriksson on the top line is the biggest question mark. I wouldn't be surprised to see Fraser tried up there eventually, moving Eriksson back down with Soderberg.

I think Robins will get the first look on that line. I have no idea how long it will last though.

Bart will get that top 4 spot pretty quickly and they'll stick with him.

I think Miller will take McQuaid's spot relatively quickly as well.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I just want to add that Patrice Bergeron looks better than I have ever seen him play. He has been an absolute animal during the preseason and if he plays like this all season he could be in the conversation for MVP. He has looked the most dominant I have ever seen a forward in a Bruins uniform look in the 2 games I've watched.

I think he might share more of the offensive load this year as well. I wouldn't be shocked to see over 70 points. His assist numbers were down last year due to a few prolonged slumps by his wingers. And with Eriksson on the top line, Krejci not looking great at the moment, and Lucic probably coming back slow, he may simply have to take on more offensively. It helps that Marchand looks great right now as well.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
What they will be?
Lucic Krejci erikson
marchand bergeron smith
kelly sodrberg gagne
paille campbell frase

marchand bergeron smith
paille kelly campbell

I would love to see those lines. Eriksson does not belong on the 1st line, he has no chemistry with Krejci while he had some pretty good one with Soda.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson is going to be our first line, it's Claude and Chia's only option.

Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Kelly-Soderberg-Gagne
Paille-Spooner-Fraser

Spooner until Campbell gets back... Ideally, you swap Spooner and Kelly when he gets back. Because that 3rd line is ugly. I see Bergy's line as our definite 1st line now. Lucic is coming off of wrist surgery, I love Eriksson but he's not 1st line material, and LKE has shown no chemistry whatsoever. Hope they prove me wrong, but I see that line starting off really slow. Problem is, if Eriksson doesn't succeed there, and Pastrnak isn't a 1st liner at the age of 18, that line is ****ed. It'll need fixing by trade. They're taking a risk and seeing if they can fix it by committee, but we'll see if they can.

I'd like to see a bottom 6 of

Spooner-Soderberg-Gagne
Paille-Kelly-Campbell

Really don't want Gagne making the team, but Fraser hasn't looked any better, and he and Florek were my only options. Sounds like he already made the team to me.

billings21

Jul 13, 2014
MA
What is it with this lovelfest for Gagne? Outside of a very productive past in his pre-concussion era, what does he have to offer? From the scrimmages and games I've seen he doesn't stand out. Some would say, he hasn't gotten his legs yet after a layoff of over a year. But, he's 34, and looks to me as a guy offering a reputation alone as his ticket to a roster spot.

Are you looking at him in the same light as Iginla in terms of reigniting his career? That would be a mistake.
you're being kind saying he doesn't stand out. i don't understand it either.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada

I don't want Gagne on the team, and I suspect the same can be said for many posters who have him in their projected line-ups. I think most of us are resigned to the inevitability of it all.

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
Post Boychuk

Sucks to lose him but I understand the reasoning. He going to get 5.5 plus after this season and with HAMILTON and KRUG to re-up on D, not sure the Bruins could have retained him. Regarding this season and now that PC has cleared up some cap space, we need a right shooting right winger to round out the top nine. I’m not liking the LUCIC-KREJCI-ERIKSSON threesome at all. That line has to hem the opposition into their own zone and cycle to be successful, not sure that’s ERIKSSON game. I really like him with SODERBERG and I think he would also work well on a line with BERGERON and MARCHAND, which might be a great option considering the apparent chemistry between SMITH and SODERBERG. PC just might have enough space to make a pitch for a big body right shooting winger like Chris STEWART, David JONES, Drew STAFFORD etc. These are the type of guys that would probably fit in nicely with LUCIC and KREJCI.

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($1.400m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Simon Gagne ($0.700m) or Matt Fraser ($0.625m)
Bobby Robins ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Torey Krug ($1.400m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,475,333; BONUSES: $710,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $524,667

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
Sucks to lose him but I understand the reasoning. He going to get 5.5 plus after this season and with HAMILTON and KRUG to re-up on D, not sure the Bruins could have retained him. Regarding this season and now that PC has cleared up some cap space, we need a right shooting right winger to round out the top nine. I’m not liking the LUCIC-KREJCI-ERIKSSON threesome at all. That line has to hem the opposition into their own zone and cycle to be successful, not sure that’s ERIKSSON game. I really like him with SODERBERG and I think he would also work well on a line with BERGERON and MARCHAND, which might be a great option considering the apparent chemistry between SMITH and SODERBERG. PC just might have enough space to make a pitch for a big body right shooting winger like Chris STEWART, David JONES, Drew STAFFORD etc. These are the type of guys that would probably fit in nicely with LUCIC and KREJCI.

FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / David Jones ($4.000m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($6.500m) / Reilly Smith ($1.400m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.760m) / Carl Soderberg ($1.008m) / Loui Eriksson ($4.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Simon Gagne ($0.700m) or Matt Fraser ($0.625m)
Bobby Robins ($0.600m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($0.894m)
Matt Bartkowski ($1.250m) / Dennis Seidenberg ($4.000m)
Torey Krug ($1.400m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
Kevan Miller ($0.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($7.000m)
Niklas Svedberg ($0.600m)
LTIR
Marc Savard ($4.027m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$4,779,500
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $68,475,333; BONUSES: $710,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $524,667

Chris Stewart's our guy. Would slide in perfectly on that top line then Loui can go play with Soderberg.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
What little i have seen from Fraser this year has been positive.

He looks much faster and quicker.

wouldn't surprise me if he makes the opening night roster.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
Lucic-Krecji-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Kelly-Soderberg-Gagné
Paille-Campbell-Caron
Robins

Chara-Hamilton
Seids-Bartkowski
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

Rask
Svedberg

To me, that is not a line-up that will be tops in the East this season. I see the Bruins struggling out of the gate and playing .500 hockey for a while until Chia is forced to shake things up.

Soderberg will be great, but won't have many points to show for it, as Kelly and Gagné will play poorly.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I don't want Gagne on the team, and I suspect the same can be said for many posters who have him in their projected line-ups. I think most of us are resigned to the inevitability of it all.
Yeah, I guess. Better let it go. I thought when they brought him along for their lovelfest in Vermont, they'd let him go, since he'd be halfway home.:)

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Chris Stewart would be a guy to get. I really don't think Gagne should be on the roster...We already have Kelly and Campbell.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Marchand-Bergeron-Smith
Spooner-Soderberg-Fraser
Paille-Kelly/Campbell-Robins

Chara-Hamilton
Bartkowski-Seidenberg
Krug-McQuaid
Miller

Rask-Svedberg

Hopefully we upgrade at the deadline or we're not going anywhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad