So Vegas can clinch a playoff spot tonight...

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Vegas def want to clinch now. Like 5 or 6 chances a few minutes into the third. Such an enjoyable team to watch.
They haven't been lately I can promise you that. Many frustrating games. This is the first game in a while they look like their old selves. They seem fired up by something. Gives me hope that being in the playoffs will give them the same effect and maybe they'll stand a chance to win a series or two.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
They haven't been lately I can promise you that. Many frustrating games. This is the first game in a while they look like their old selves. They seem fired up by something. Gives me hope that being in the playoffs will give them the same effect and maybe they'll stand a chance to win a series or two.

meh. teams go through bad stretches. they are a good, well coached team who work hard most nights.

Reactions: Sentinel

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
meh. teams go through bad stretches. they are a good, well coached team who work hard most nights.
Oh no I'm not denying that. It's just been a concern of mine watching them, and a relief to see them back to their old ways in this period. I think the best thing that can happen is Rielly Smith returning from injury so the boys can return to the lines they had the most chemistry with.

Also, many will find this absurd, but the defense has looked markedly worse since Luca Sbisa went down with injury. I can't believe it but it's true.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Wild Bill hitting 40 goals was the perfect way to seal the deal. My god what a storybook ending to that game. Never going to forget this.

Reactions: Syckle78

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I know the NHL is all about systems and speed now (making something like this more possible), but I still say Vegas's season is one of the five most unexpected things I've seen in my 32 years or so of following the NHL.

Actually, I'm not sure I see its success as a good point in the grand scheme of things, but anyway amazing respect to that locker room for what it's done.

Before this year, it's basically been a given that expansion teams were in last and missing the playoffs. There have been a couple of competitive clubs before (Tampa in '93 or whenever) -- not counting the '67 expansion for obvious reasons, or the '80 Oilers, which snuck in because Gretzky but were quite bad -- but never has a team been this good or been so near the top of the League.

It kind of freaks me out.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Grats vegas fans! What an exciting first year. Start out with a top 3 pick prospect you get to follow and be excited about, end up with a freaking 40 goal scorer for free and make the playoffs! Really can't ask for more in your inaugural season. Hope it works as a great building block to a successful franchise in sin city.

Satire

Nov 20, 2016
Grats Vegas. I had you as top 5 bottom dwellers at the start of the year... you proved me and many others wrong. :)

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Most Fans must be cringing that their teams have less points than an first year expansion team
Who knew?
Just shows a group of hard working suppposly 2-3rd line players with good goaltending can be competitive

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, pretty much. They unofficially clinched at about 95 points.

I don't know about that, I'm actually expecting the 9th place team to finish with, at the very least, 95 points. None of those teams are losing games right now.

If the Avalanche, Blues, and Kings all earn only one point per game in the games they have remaining, somebody will miss the playoffs with 96 points - with the way those teams are streaking right now, do you really think that they're all going to finish at only a point per game over their next 5-7 games? We could realistically see a 98-100 point team miss the playoffs.

Last edited:

PattyLafontaine

Apr 5, 2006
How long before they clinch the Pacific?

Magic number of 6 (points) with 6 games to go. San Jose cannot pass Las Vegas if they end up tied on points. With 6 games to go San Jose would likely need 11-12 points and hope that Las Vegas only got 4-5 or less.

Extremely unlikely that San Jose catches Las Vegas

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
not sure if it's been said, but if someone told you going into the season that:
- Shipchayov would be back in the KHL after 3 games
- James Neal would be the team's 6th highest scoring forward
- Fleury would start less than 50 games

where would you have expected Vegas to finish?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad