So Vegas can clinch a playoff spot tonight...

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Has 101 points and still hasn't clinched, the west is insane.

The 1st non playoff team in the WC right now has
89 pts in 76 games

The 1st non playoff team in the EC right now has
83 pts in 73 games (with those 3 games in hand, they can get to 89 pts too)

Reactions: Sentinel

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Ive never understood this. What exactly has to happen for them to miss the playoffs? Every team under them win every single game and they lose every single game? But dont those teams likely play each other ?

Has something like that ever happened?

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
The 1st non playoff team in the WC right now has
89 pts in 76 games

The 1st non playoff team in the EC right now has
83 pts in 73 games (with those 3 games in hand, they can get to 89 pts too)
So what you are saying is...

EAST SUCKS!!

Reactions: Phu

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Ive never understood this. What exactly has to happen for them to miss the playoffs? Every team under them win every single game and they lose every single game? But dont those teams likely play each other ?

probably. this would actually be for vegas. their competition beat eachother so they can clinch quicker

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

Yeah, pretty much. They unofficially clinched at about 95 points.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I wish Carolina had the Vegas coach. Should have scooped him up after Florida left him on our back porch and sent Peters in the taxi instead.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
What exactly has to happen for them to miss the playoffs? Every team under them win every single game and they lose every single game? But dont those teams likely play each other ?

It's not a difficult concept. It just means, statistically speaking, if they were to not gain a single point for the rest of the season, it is mathematically possible for them to lose their spot. At this point the chance of it happening is like less than 1%, but it's still technically possible for it to happen. And yes I'm sure it is taken into consideration that some teams play one another.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I actually just went and checked into it to see if Vegas was actually clinched already once you factor in the teams that are chasing them and who they play against...

Turns out they actually aren't clinched yet, but the scenarios that would have to unfold for them to not get in are simply astounding.

In order for Vegas to not make playoffs right now they would need the following to happen:

- Vegas needs to go 0-0-7 without getting even a single point. Keeping Vegas at 101 points and 44 ROWs

- LA needs to go 6-0-0 while winning every game in Regulation or Overtime. This gives LA 101 points and 45 ROWS to win the tiebreaker against Vegas.

- Anaheim needs to go 6-0-1, with the only OT loss coming to LA. This gives Anaheim 102 points.

- Colorado needs to go 5-0-2, with the only OT losses coming to LA and Anaheim, giving Colorado 102 points.

- St. Louis needs to go 6-0-1 with it's one OT Loss coming to Colorado on the last day of the season.

If even one of those events were to not happen... Vegas is in the playoffs.

Reactions: Nizzle and Bozle

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
-Where would Vegas be without Marc Andre Fleury and his 2.1 goals against?

The question is what teams were hurt the worst. Pittsburgh is still second in their division, and Fleury's numbers are still somewhat a product of Vegas' strong defensive play before they ran into injury trouble. Lately the defense has done practically a 180.
Was Pitt hurt by lising MAF?

I don't think they were really. I think they were hurt this season for a time but by other factors.

Reactions: TheAngryHank

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Vegas def want to clinch now. Like 5 or 6 chances a few minutes into the third. Such an enjoyable team to watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad