Speculation: So ownership just didn't want to pay Mark Stone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
If he sells, that changes and we will still be a bottom third of the league payroll team, but everyone will be much happier and more positive.
Silly claim.

Anaheim and Florida are small market teams and both are cap teams.

edit/ unless you mean in the short term because we don't have any stars to pay, in that case I agree.

Long term it's completely up to the new owner.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The problem with that, is he needs the NHL to approve it.

I don't think the NHL would have a problem necessarily with the Sens moving. But they will never allow it to be Melnyk to do it.

They would definitely force a sale and see if new owners can make it work. Ottawa has proved in the past to be a viable city. It wouldn't make any sense to move the team with Melnyk as owner.

How would you know this? If people are not supporting the team & the owner won't sell, I'm not sure why the NHL would not allow him to move the team at some point. Having said that though, where he would move the team is another story altogether. Whether the NHL would move to an area like Newmarket, Hamilton or Quebec City, a few cities that have tried to acquire a franchise or whether the Leafs or Habs would allow it is also up in question.

IMO I doubt he would go to Quebec but he would probably not mind going to Hamilton or Newmarket since it's closer to Toronto, his media HQ. :facepalm: I doubt the Leafs will allow it unless the NHL pushes for it. Who knows how this will all play out & whether this guy will ever sell or move. The best scenario for fans would be if he would sell the franchise to a very rich owner who would keep the team here in Ottawa.

Reactions: Cosmix

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Silly claim.

Anaheim and Florida are small market teams and both are cap teams.

edit/ unless you mean in the short term because we don't have any stars to pay, in that case I agree.

Long term it's completely up to the new owner.
Well, precisely, there is no one really to pay unless UFAs have been waiting for Melnyk to leave, which I doubt.

Long term, a business plan will always be in place in Ottawa, regardless of who owns the team. If I'm wrong and someone wants to lose 20M a season, that would be fantastic

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
The problem with that, is he needs the NHL to approve it.

I don't think the NHL would have a problem necessarily with the Sens moving. But they will never allow it to be Melnyk to do it.

They would definitely force a sale and see if new owners can make it work. Ottawa has proved in the past to be a viable city. It wouldn't make any sense to move the team with Melnyk as owner.

I think the NHL has and always will have an issue with teams moving, because it's essentially an admission of failure, and is pretty bad PR for the league.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
I think so too. I think this owner is so damn stubborn & full of himself that he will try to relocate before he ever sells.
He has no money to relocate, and he'll just piss off new the fans running things the way he does. He's not going to be successful in any market if he wants to have a say in all of the hockey decisions and/or won't let the president choose his guy, and by running a bare bones operation. I highly doubt Bettman is going to let him take his gong show into a new market, especially an American one. Anyone going into a new market will have to be committed to icing the best team possible and willing to spend right from the beginning, a foreign concept to Giepetto.

Reactions: Deku and Upgrayedd

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
How would you know this? If people are not supporting the team & the owner won't sell, I'm not sure why the NHL would not allow him to move the team at some point. Having said that though, where he would move the team is another story altogether. Whether the NHL would move to an area like Newmarket, Hamilton or Quebec City, a few cities that have tried to acquire a franchise or whether the Leafs or Habs would allow it is also up in question.

IMO I doubt he would go to Quebec but he would probably not mind going to Hamilton or Newmarket since it's closer to Toronto, his media HQ. :facepalm: I doubt the Leafs will allow it unless the NHL pushes for it. Who knows how this will all play out & whether this guy will ever sell or move. The best scenario for fans would be if he would sell the franchise to a very rich owner who would keep the team here in Ottawa.

Why would they allow Melnyk to go ruin another city? Of course I can never say with 100% certainty, but it would be really bad for the league to let him move the team, without trying to sell first. This market has already proved it's viable.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I think the NHL has and always will have an issue with teams moving, because it's essentially an admission of failure, and is pretty bad PR for the league.

Yeah, I meant it in the sense the NHL wouldn't stop it if there is a valid reason as we've seen with other teams that move.

Sorry that worded poorly, I should have added "I don't think the NHL would have a problem necessarily with the Sens moving, if there was a valid reason"

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Well, precisely, there is no one really to pay unless UFAs have been waiting for Melnyk to leave, which I doubt.

Well, there's (seemingly) at least two upcoming prominent UFA's who would presumably listen to a Sens pitch if EM sold the team before then. Signing both would likely push the team out of the bottom 1/3 in spending.

I'm not holding my breath though :laugh:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
That may not have been his goal, but he most definitely did help the Senators. They would not have gotten a player like Brannstrom without the extension.

Yes an extension signed by Stone does get a better return so I credit Dorion with making this trade arrangement with negotiations allowed in advance of the trade for getting a decent prospect back. I do not credit Stone for it.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Yes an extension signed by Stone does get a better return so I credit Dorion with making this trade arrangement with negotiations allowed in advance of the trade for getting a decent prospect back. I do not credit Stone for it.
Dorion can't do this without Stone's approval. Not sure why you fail to acknowledge this fact.

Stone helped Stone AND THE SENS!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
You're entitled to your opinion, but I stand by mine that he did the Senators a huge favor by being open to this scenario. Most players are not open to this, especially at the trade deadline, and just choose their destination in July when it's fully in their hands.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
This is the difference Murray would have made.. on budget one of Karlsson/Stone would still be here as captain.
The difference with and without Murray has been night and day. Agree with his decisions or not, he captained the ship. Dorion was a big mistake for the stability of the franchise because of how he deals with Melnyk and other things

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
It hasn't been viable for some time. People need to start going to games. A boycot will only bring on relocation.

Oh yay, this again.

This isn't a "chicken or the egg" thing where the fans first have to show up so they can be served a good product. It's the other way around and it's been this way ever since capitalism was invented.

Ugh. And before you or anyone says "but the 2016 playoffs!". No, just no. When people still had faith in this org. they showed up regularly. For years and years. We had some of the best attendance in the league.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
He has no money to relocate, and he'll just piss off new the fans running things the way he does. He's not going to be successful in any market if he wants to have a say in all of the hockey decisions and/or won't let the president choose his guy, and by running a bare bones operation. I highly doubt Bettman is going to let him take his gong show into a new market, especially an American one. Anyone going into a new market will have to be committed to icing the best team possible and willing to spend right from the beginning, a foreign concept to Giepetto.

Absolutely, it's very clearly not a market problem but a Eugene problem. The NHL won't let this maniac into an American market...can you imagine lol? At least up here Eugene can rip off nicer less violent Canadians where the media has less teeth etc...

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Oh yay, this again.

This isn't a "chicken or the egg" thing where the fans first have to show up so they can be served a good product. It's the other way around and it's been this way ever since capitalism was invented.

Ugh. And before you or anyone says "but the 2016 playoffs!". No, just no. When people still had faith in this org. they showed up regularly. For years and years. We had some of the best attendance in the league.
For years and years, showed up regularly while still papered with freebies. I don't care about anything else you said, but I will not let you spread fake news and will call you out every single time. Those best years were papered, so lop off 1500. Minimum. And stop lying. Misrepresenting.

Oh yay, this again, indeed.

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
For years and years, showed up regularly while still papered with freebies. I don't care about anything else you said, but I will not let you spread fake news and will call you out every single time. Those best years were papered, so lop off 1500. Minimum. And stop lying. Misrepresenting.

People still went, though. This season they papered like madmen and attendance was cheeks.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

This was already discussed at length and you were proved wrong multiple times before, move along, next propaganda attack please.

Reactions: Deku

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Even with free tickets, the garbage roster they're rolling out there isn't worth the trip.

An AHL caliber team with half of it being cap anchors they couldn't give away is not very appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad