Post-Game Talk: So maybe shut up tonight and talk tomorrow [Mod Warning in OP]

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
I am surprised at Barrie's play thus far this season. Yes, he scored a goal last night but his play at both ends of the ice, especially the Defensive end, has been really bad.

There is just nothing going right with this team so far and they need to get it turned around.

He has started every season in the minors. Looks like he needs a wake up call every year. Not very professional.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
I've been off the boards for a few weeks and only casually watching the standings, can anyone enlighten me specifically as to what the hell is going on here? We expected some regression sure, but ****ing come on.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I've been off the boards for a few weeks and only casually watching the standings, can anyone enlighten me specifically as to what the hell is going on here? We expected some regression sure, but ****ing come on.

I think the losses would have been easier to handle if we were so outplayed and dominated in every game. This is not a case of "results just not going our way". We have been awful and deserve what we have gotten. Even Florida outshot us badly on the 5 vs 5.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Holden isnt getting enough hate on here. Hes been as atrocious as anyone. Perhaps a healthy scratch can wake him up.

True. But he has played with every d-man on the roster. Roy needs to set some ****ing pairings a leave them. But yes, Holden has looked lost. And he looked really good in preseason.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
Sure, the AHLer journeyman can bring what one of the highest scoring defencemen in the NHL does.

Why not just bring up Smith and replace O'Reilly?

Im not saying he would bring what Yandle does production wise. But I would not be surprised to see him have a season like Barrie did. all 3 are the same type of players. Yandle is just better, more consistent with the puck. Still a mess in the Dzone though. If we wanted more players like this, offense only, in the lineup then Noreau would already be playing. There is no room for another Dman like this though. His style is not one that we need right now. We need smarter and just plain better defenders, not more guys who are weak in that zone.

And I would rather have another Barrie and RoR over Yandle. The extra production yandle will bring is not enough to give up RoR.

Noreau has show a lot more than Smith has as well, so your sarcastic comparison does not even apply.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I think Holden is gonna get more crap now when he wont score 10+ goals again. Cause lets face it, he is not a 15% shooter in this league. If he was scoring I think most people would forget about his other issues.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Holden isn't the type to create offense on his own. If the forwards are not clicking and moving the puck in the offensive zone, Holden isn't going to score. If they are clicking, he can sneak down and score at a high rate... not 15%, but still a good clip. Problem is... the forwards are not clicking so Holden is rendered useless.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I think Holden is gonna get more crap now when he wont score 10+ goals again. Cause lets face it, he is not a 15% shooter in this league. If he was scoring I think most people would forget about his other issues.

I wasnt happy with his lack of puck awareness last year either. Dude has such bad tunnel vision. All he can do is play his man. He has got to learn to play the man while still following the puck. Maybe he just needs to start pointing to his man and the puck all the time like peewee basketball players.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Holden isn't the type to create offense on his own. If the forwards are not clicking and moving the puck in the offensive zone, Holden isn't going to score. If they are clicking, he can sneak down and score at a high rate... not 15%, but still a good clip. Problem is... the forwards are not clicking so Holden is rendered useless.

And I think that back door play isn't gonna work as often as it did last year, teams should have learned their lesson. But Holden should be good for 25-30 points if he gets PP time all season.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
If Dater wrote like that all the time, it would be nice to have him back.

Have to say, it is kind of nice to have him back. He may be poor quality, but he is the best of the worst.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He has started every season in the minors. Looks like he needs a wake up call every year. Not very professional.

Of course he knows. He had some quote to Sadowski that he may as well have tried to be in goal because he might be better at that than defense right now. It's not like the players aren't aware. Someone as young as him, he's going back to how he played before he got that confidence last year.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
While I appreciate your condescension, I find your hypocrisy in clamouring for deeper discussion and then following it up with a post like this particularly amusing.

I was just having a little bit of fun. ;) What I really mean is that there are times to be a cynical pessimist and times to be an optimistic. Too much of one leads into a crepuscule of expectation, thus threatening any hope of winning any game when the team is in form. While too much of the other journey introduces you into a Utopia, Erewhon with flying strawberries, exhilaration, and delusion. Sustaining a record of 5-20-3 will justify a pessimistic view while having optimism that the Avs have enough talent to get out of this monotonous rut.

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
Call up Redmond, Everberg, Rendulic. Put guys in there that actually want to play and scratch the guys who obviously don't give a ****. Yes, poor chemistry and too many line shifts are an issue, but that doesn't excuse poor effort. Pretty much everyone but Duchene, Mitchell, and McGinn need a wake up call.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Two weeks off must have been good for the guy. It's actually a quality sense of perspective there. Dater can be alright when he's mature and has his emotions in check.

Agreed. He's a good writer when it comes down to it. He can have a captivating style, and has been around long enough to have interesting stories. As we saw in this blog.

He needs to do the latter more often and keep his emotions in check, and also work harder to dig up info that fans don't already know about, and double check facts that he passes along. Those are my biggest gripes.

Oh, and he'd probably do well to stop replying to all tweets he makes, and trying to win arguments. It never seems to end well.

JLo217

Jul 22, 2009
Reno, NV
Barrie on his play so far this year:
*** Tyson Barrie, whose minus-5 plus-minus is a team low among Avs defenseman, joked/not-joked that Roy did not ask him to fill in at goaltender, but maybe should have.

“I’d probably do a better job of playing goalie than I have been in defense this season,” he said.

ColoradoSportsFan

Jul 16, 2005
Denver, Colorado
Watching the end of the replay on Altitude. What the hell were they doing on that gift power play near the end of regulation. I mean...that lost them the game right there. Are they afraid to just shoot even with 2 guys standing in front of the net?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad