Post-Game Talk: So maybe shut up tonight and talk tomorrow [Mod Warning in OP]

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
Brad Stuart is my most hated player transaction in NHL history. It's the same thing as Reto Berra (which we all hated), except for the trade was dumber when it was made and unlike Berra, Brade Stuart has not only zero potential but negative potential. And we're paying more than twice as much to Stuaet until 2017.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Brad Stuart is my most hated player transaction in NHL history. It's the same thing as Reto Berra (which we all hated), except for the trade was dumber when it was made and unlike Berra, Brade Stuart has not only zero potential but negative potential. And we're paying more than twice as much to Stuaet until 2017.

If Brad Stuart and Greg Zanon swapped jersey would you be able to tell the difference?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If Brad Stuart and Greg Zanon swapped jersey would you be able to tell the difference?

Stuart is better.

I can live him with him as a bottom pairing defender, since he brings a more consistently physical edge than Ryan "IR" Wilson. But he's so immobile that it's going to hurt in a year or two to watch him on the ice.

People think Hejda got bad? Stuart is younger and worse. Imagine what father time will do to his game.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I'm starting to hate the mainboard. As soon as Mackinnon doesn't score a bunch of oilers and panthers fans are all over his case. I love Drouin but he's better than Mack after a couple games in the NHL? Mack's suddenly at Yakupovs level?
I know the goals will gradually come but I really want Mack to prove these guys wrong soon and show them he's in a different tier.

madman

Deadmarsh Deli Dills
Jun 6, 2009
Steamboat Springs
Watching the end of the replay on Altitude. What the hell were they doing on that gift power play near the end of regulation. I mean...that lost them the game right there. Are they afraid to just shoot even with 2 guys standing in front of the net?

Part of the problem is that we have literally only one person - Barrie - who is a threat to score from the point on the powerplay. Opposing teams know this; EJ will throw it in someone's shins, Holden will miss the net, and the rest of the defensemen have no shooting ability to begin with. If Tanguay, Duchene, or any other forward is one the point, you know they'll be looking to swing a pass and cycle. It's passive and predictable.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

That's taking it too far. :laugh:

To me Stuart is like the good version of Guenin from the first half of last season. Still makes mistakes but looks pretty decent on the bottom pairing and also playing well on the PK.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Stuart is better.

I can live him with him as a bottom pairing defender, since he brings a more consistently physical edge than Ryan "IR" Wilson. But he's so immobile that it's going to hurt in a year or two to watch him on the ice.

People think Hejda got bad? Stuart is younger and worse. Imagine what father time will do to his game.

He was immobile coming in so we all should have anticipated seeing that, but multiple years at 3.6m for an already aging 3rd pairing defenseman makes it so much worse.

It pains me to say I hope he decides to retire early. I don't wish it due to poor health or anything, but since the contract can't be torn up, that is really the only other option to get out from under that contract unless it is another PAP-Briere type trade.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm starting to hate the mainboard. As soon as Mackinnon doesn't score a bunch of oilers and panthers fans are all over his case. I love Drouin but he's better than Mack after a couple games in the NHL? Mack's suddenly at Yakupovs level?
I know the goals will gradually come but I really want Mack to prove these guys wrong soon and show them he's in a different tier.

Its to be expected. Anyone can see that Mackinnon is better then Yakupov so lets not go there. Mackinnon needs to play a hell of alot better. More north south and less east west. Hes the fastest guy out there but you couldnt tell that from watching the games this season.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Its to be expected. Anyone can see that Mackinnon is better then Yakupov so lets not go there. Mackinnon needs to play a hell of alot better. More north south and less east west. Hes the fastest guy out there but you couldnt tell that from watching the games this season.

MacKinnon is 19 and hasn't yet gone through the adversity that Duchene faced being a speedy center. It's going to take some time for it all to click where he learns how to pick his spots for bursts of speed, where to be positionally and how to still make an impact offensively.

This is why I wanted him on the wing and what I expected to happen all along with drafting him. He's not going to instantly turn into Stamkos.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
MacKinnon is 19 and hasn't yet gone through the adversity that Duchene faced being a speedy center. It's going to take some time for it all to click where he learns how to pick his spots for bursts of speed, where to be positionally and how to still make an impact offensively.

This is why I wanted him on the wing and what I expected to happen all along with drafting him. He's not going to instantly turn into Stamkos.

I still think he should be kept at center. Like Roy said if we're really gonna tr an win the cup we need him at center, not wing. I also want our best player to play center, rather than wing.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I still think he should be kept at center. Like Roy said if we're really gonna tr an win the cup we need him at center, not wing. I also want our best player to play center, rather than wing.

To correct my previous statement, this is why I wanted him on the wing for another season or two, not forever.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
In a season or two when they might be ready to take the next step they need to get MacKinnon's best out of him on a consistent basis and having him adjust positions yet again is not going to be conducive to that.

This team needs to decide what they value more, short term or long term. If they choose long term that doesn't mean punting the season but it means making decisions and evaluating players with the future as a priority.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Isn't Duchene a good example of why MacKinnon should stay at center and not be moved to wing? People wanted them to permanently move Duchene to LW when he struggled instead of just letting him play center and work through it.

I think MacKinnon has looked much better on wing than Duchene ever did but he's still a center. Coming into this season LeBrun wrote about how MacKinnon was very excited about being back at center because that's where he's most comfortable. He put a lot of time into getting better and improving on faceoffs and then Roy put him back at RW to begin the season. Just leave him at center, even if he struggles.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
In a season or two when they might be ready to take the next step they need to get MacKinnon's best out of him on a consistent basis and having him adjust positions yet again is not going to be conducive to that.

This team needs to decide what they value more, short term or long term. If they choose long term that doesn't mean punting the season but it means making decisions and evaluating players with the future as a priority.

I like to look at Seguin as an example of how it can be a very successful transition. Or Zetterberg's ability to be both a C and LW.

I see no reason MacKinnon can't do that and excel at it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
So Wilson is out now. If Roy goes back to Guenin and Redmond still can't get into the lineup......

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So Wilson is out now. If Roy goes back to Guenin and Redmond still can't get into the lineup......

Last year when they had the #freeGardiner thing going in Toronto, Gardiners agent re-tweeted the message and Leafs refused to play him on principle for a week or two. "If we call him up today, which might have been possible, everybody will say we’re bowing to the pressure of the agent,” said a Leafs front-office voice. “If we don’t call him up, some will say we’re just being stubborn about it. Either way, it’s not right. (Hankinson’s) put his kid in a position he doesn’t need to be.

I'm not sure Redmonds agent tweeting about Avs helped his chances to play in the short run.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Last year when they had the #freeGardiner thing going in Toronto, Gardiners agent re-tweeted the message and Leafs refused to play him on principle for a week or two. "If we call him up today, which might have been possible, everybody will say we’re bowing to the pressure of the agent,†said a Leafs front-office voice. “If we don’t call him up, some will say we’re just being stubborn about it. Either way, it’s not right. (Hankinson’s) put his kid in a position he doesn’t need to be.

I'm not sure Redmonds agent tweeting about Avs helped his chances to play in the short run.

What did his agent say? I had no clue he did this but this is never a good idea. If my agent did this I would fire him.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Last year when they had the #freeGardiner thing going in Toronto, Gardiners agent re-tweeted the message and Leafs refused to play him on principle for a week or two. "If we call him up today, which might have been possible, everybody will say we’re bowing to the pressure of the agent,†said a Leafs front-office voice. “If we don’t call him up, some will say we’re just being stubborn about it. Either way, it’s not right. (Hankinson’s) put his kid in a position he doesn’t need to be.

Good thing is this isn't Toronto. I doubt people know or even care what his agent is saying.

Roy has been playing inferior players to start the season so it wouldn't be a shock if he does it again. However, it'll be disappointing if he does it now because of a tweet an agent sent out.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Good thing is this isn't Toronto. I doubt people know or even care what his agent is saying.

Roy has been playing inferior players to start the season so it wouldn't be a shock if he does it again. However, it'll be disappointing if he does it now because of a tweet an agent sent out.

Free Gardiner was a much bigger thing. Most Avs fans probably don't know how Redmond is or care that he hasn't played.

But generally I think teams prefer agents contacting the GM instead of going public. I bet Sakic talks to players agents all the time about ice time/line mates/role and so on. It's the agents job.

Ekblast

"We're still learning." -Coach Brunette.
Nov 9, 2002
Flori-duh
www.Reddit.com

Nope. Panther fan here and I am still INSANELY jealous that you have BigMac. It's his sophomore year. Huber sucked last year during his. Things will turn around.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Nope. Panther fan here and I am still INSANELY jealous that you have BigMac. It's his sophomore year. Huber sucked last year during his. Things will turn around.

thanks. I hope Barkov turns it around soon as well. You guys have a stud in ekblad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad