Tribute So long Rasmus and Pierre!

Subway Schenn

Jun 24, 2018
London, UK
Both Leafs draft picks :thumbu:

Will always remember Pierre coming up as a late round steal and turning into an NHL player with the odds stacked against him. Underused tools, maybe, but he deserves our respect. Even from you @Teeder Keon

Sandman, I'll miss a ton. Still think he's a solid Top 4 in the making, maybe more.. Everyone loses some favs over the years :(

Enniskillen

Jan 16, 2021
Engvall played like a real lady, imagine if Martin molds him into a ferocious forechecker.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Engvall was modern day Ponikarovsky
Big size defensively responsible but very unlikable player

Sandin maybe will be a decent career, but nothing significant is lost here. Wish him the best

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
I don't hold as much animosity and vitriol against Engvall as most apparently; but obviously he had great tools and size, and it never really emerged for him to become what many thought looking at him could be a big strong 2nd line winger. Seems like a guy who just doesn't have enough "jam" to really fulfill his promise, but a serviceable player nonetheless. Wish him the best and hope he finds his happy place!

Sandin . . . yeah, it's been a long road over the last few years for him - was touted as the next young stud on D for us, ran into some injuries . . . and once he was back on track and playing regularly for the Leafs, he had already been passed on the depth chart by Lilli. Again wish him nothing but good luck, he's got a decent NHL career ahead of him I think, probably as someone's future #3 or 4.

Reactions: Its not your fault

Primary Assist

The taste of honey is worse than none at all
Jul 7, 2010
Say what you will about Engvall, but he had really good chemistry with Mikheyev last year. Both are very tall, super speedy players that gave us a strong rush option on the 3rd line that interrupted the other team's cycle game since they could get the puck on their stick and exit the zone so quickly. I'm kind of surprised Vancouver didn't make an offer for him, at least that we know of. Probably could have just traded him for Schenn straight up.

Oh well, best of luck to him and Sandin. Engvall was definitely more frustrating on the ice, but both were good soldiers for the Leafs and I hope they can have long careers

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
There's never been a player who frustrated me more than Engval. He left me wanting more after nearly every shift he played. I celebrate his departure.

I'm somewhat on the fence regarding Sandin. There is definitely potential for him to improve and become a legitimate top 4 defenseman, but he has physical limitations which will be very difficult for him to overcome. A late first round pick, plus a replacement player is a good return at this point.

Reactions: 56 Years No Cup

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
They have talent, just not the right fit here

They'll do well on their new teams imo

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Unless we flip Gustafsson and/or that 1st from Washington, the Sandin trade is terrible.

Engvall I didn't mind trading but we do need a replacement for him. Sam Lafferty doesn't necessarily fill that role despite having similar levels of production. I know nobody here understands this but Engvall is actually a pretty good defensive forward and because of his skating, was excellent at bringing the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone. The only guy on the bottom six who does that now is Kerfoot.

If you watch how the Leafs play, with the exception of Morgan Rielly, the zone breakouts and entries are largely handled by their forwards. Transition play is as important of a skill as dumping and chasing grinding in the corners. You don't win unless you have a good mix of both.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Unless we flip Gustafsson and/or that 1st from Washington, the Sandin trade is terrible.

Engvall I didn't mind trading but we do need a replacement for him. Sam Lafferty doesn't necessarily fill that role despite having similar levels of production. I know nobody here understands this but Engvall is actually a pretty good defensive forward and because of his skating, was excellent at bringing the puck out of the defensive zone and into the offensive zone. The only guy on the bottom six who does that now is Kerfoot.

If you watch how the Leafs play, with the exception of Morgan Rielly, the zone breakouts and entries are largely handled by their forwards. Transition play is as important of a skill as dumping and chasing grinding in the corners. You don't win unless you have a good mix of both.
Once the Leafs acquired McCabe, Sandin was locked into a #7 role for the remainder of his RFA contract. Even if he plays half the games over that time, it's a waste of an asset, and would have been even more unhappy considering he had already requested a trade prior to the season.

Getting a D who is similar but a bit bigger and faster (but less physical) for the #7/8 role here along with a 1st round pick is tidy business before Sandin and his wish for more ice time became an issue.

Cleetus

"snot"
Jan 2, 2012
North!
the best thing with Engvall to me, was to get Teeder going! lol I loved that! gonna miss posting to him about that.. hope both players well on their new teams.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
We'll always have that PP goal Sandin scored against the habs in the playoffs and the reverse hit on Wheeler.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
Honestly both are replacement level players today. Sandin I guess it depends on how you view his potential, to me a redo on a 1st rounder is worth more. He doesn’t seem to have super high potential

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Don't let da door hit ya in da *ss on ur way outta town boys .. neither guy helped our team .. Sandin cost us da Habs series almost singlehandedly .. and Engval really never even showed up .. good riddance to both

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Both Leafs draft picks :thumbu:

Will always remember Pierre coming up as a late round steal and turning into an NHL player with the odds stacked against him. Underused tools, maybe, but he deserves our respect. Even from you @Teeder Keon

Sandman, I'll miss a ton. Still think he's a solid Top 4 in the making, maybe more.. Everyone loses some favs over the years :(
They might come back after 2 - 3 years - lol

We get so attached to these athletes - for them, it's just another team

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Engvall was a late pick that bloomed into an NHL regular. Good on em, we got a middle pick, based on our development of him.

He was like a Mikhayev, Kulemin, Poni type player - boat load of tools, but leaves ya wanting more. Coachable because they're low maintenance...but all have the thousandyard stare.

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
I strongly believe Sandin is going to make us regret trading him, I am predicting he has a Kronwall type of career in the NHL

TheRumble

Feb 19, 2009
Once the Leafs acquired McCabe, Sandin was locked into a #7 role for the remainder of his RFA contract. Even if he plays half the games over that time, it's a waste of an asset, and would have been even more unhappy considering he had already requested a trade prior to the season.

Getting a D who is similar but a bit bigger and faster (but less physical) for the #7/8 role here along with a 1st round pick is tidy business before Sandin and his wish for more ice time became an issue.

I get trading Sandin but Gustafsson is a curious return. Sandin is a good two way dman, Gus is an offensive minded dman that is a good PP guy but defensively weak. He doesn't replace any of what Sandin does and his primary strengths are filled by Morgan Rielly. Sitting him is also a waste since he was on pace for a 50 point season. He 100% needs to be flipped for the trade to make sense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad