So, Lets Discuss this "World Cup" Nonsense for a Second...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Really no reason to play 110%. Outside of Jagr who has refused? Coery perry finished the playoffs to travel half way around the world to play in a mean nothing tournament for the sole reason that it might punch their ticket to the world cup.

Saying that this is going to be a regular season game or an all star exhibition just shows the lengths of lies some are willing to go to to knock this tourney.

But keep up with the pre-emptive " we didnt really try" I case your team gets their ass handed to them. Nothing says confidence like pre emptive excuse making 100 days out.

What? Why are you so defensive.

First off, Perry showed up in the hopes of making the 2016 Olympic team, not this World Cup. Secondly, I'm actually looking forward to this tournament as I think it'll produce some good games.

However, it's nonsensical to say that these games are going to be the same level as the Olympics, or previous tournaments. It could eventually evolve into that (20+ years), but for right now it's nothing more than a tournament of great players to play some hockey.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I think you missed the point. My post was about the IOC. Not the IIHF.

Besides, none of the five biggest leagues in the World in terms of revenue stop their season for the Olympics. Why the NHL would do so is a mystery.

What leagues? All European leagues do stop for the Olympics. The only league not wanting to participate anymore to the Olympics is the NHL. KHL, SEL, the Finnish liga, Czech, Slovaks, German, Swiss, etc etc do stop.

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
What leagues? All European leagues do stop for the Olympics. The only league not wanting to participate anymore to the Olympics is the NHL. KHL, SEL, the Finnish liga, Czech, Slovaks, German, Swiss, etc etc do stop.

I mean...
Major pro leagues.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
There is a good reason to prefer the former too. If said situation persisted long enough, it might offer someone an incentive to do something about the situation (there'd not only be pressure from fans, but likely from the players as well).

The World Cup is far from an ideal thing to scratch that itch, but even its lackluster form it might guarantee that the pressure to create a proper tournament never reaches the critical limit.

Like I said earlier, I don't think anybody should feel they're a worse person for wanting to enjoy the World Cup - even with its current warts - but they should also recognize the fact that the people who complain do have some legit reasons for their complaints. We're all individuals with different tastes and different preferences. If you think you have a legit reason for enjoying the World Cup, knock yourself out. But don't behave as if we who don't find it agreeable are just [female dog]ing for [female dog]ing's sake.

Um what? I've said all along if you don't want to watch, don't watch, it makes no difference to me. It's the anti-cup crowd who seem to be in some cases going to extremes like saying the NHL has no right to even hold this tournament etc. :laugh:

The issue with this new tournament is there's no real drive for the players to put 110% in. With the Olympics, you get the honor of representing your nation on a world stage and winning a Gold Medal. Even if the NHL banned the Olympics, you'll never see any great moments like the '02 final. You'll see decent games, some great plays. What you won't see is the passion or the players going all-in to win.

The games would be closer to a regular season game than anything IMO.

Simply not true. The previous tournaments were amazing, if you think passion was lacking in 1976 or 1987 etc. you're wrong. Will there be the same passion this time around? That remains to be seen but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. I'd bet quite a lot that the level of play/passion/drive will be a helluva lot closer to the last Olympics then to the ASG which some posters have (laughably) compared even past tournaments to. TBH, the last Olympics were somewhat boring to me. Yeah there were medals on the line, big deal. Canada was never seriously threatened at any point which made it all a bit boring. JMHO.

First off, Perry showed up in the hopes of making the 2016 Olympic team, not this World Cup. Secondly, I'm actually looking forward to this tournament as I think it'll produce some good games.

However, it's nonsensical to say that these games are going to be the same level as the Olympics, or previous tournaments. It could eventually evolve into that (20+ years), but for right now it's nothing more than a tournament of great players to play some hockey.

:laugh: Please provide a source for this laughable assertion. :biglaugh:

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

The 2018 team? The one that fasel says more than likely wont have NHL players? The one he could have auditioned for next year ( provided he didnt go past the 2 round) and the one he said he didnt like being left off the fiest 16? That olympic team?
Both he and Duschene said they were using the shampiobships as a way to turn some heads and make their case for september. This september.

I have no idea if the players will dog it, i suspect that they will not ( based on previous canada cups). What do you have other rhan your gut that they intend to mail it in?

The games will very likely be competitive and the PA likely already knows the deal with korea making this the only possibility of going best on best and throwing off the shackles of the IOC. But sure they intend to dog it because the deal they previously had with the IOC was such a good one.

Again even some of the players who were initially skeptical have not refused the invite ( unlike the shampionships where its only bubble players with sonething to prove who go). It might turn out to be a dumpster fire, sure. It will fall sonewhere between world vlass abomination ( shampionships) and great world class hockey ( canada cup) and Ill wait till puck drop before making sweeping proclamations on BEHALF of the players.

If the players really want to see who is best, this is probably their only choice. But sure they will squander it to appease YOUR gut.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
None of those leagues are Top-5 leagues in the World by revenue.

NHL should compare itself to the NBA. Not the KHL.

We are pretty small in comparison to the top four in the world. So comparing us to them is laughable. The gap between us and NBA is widening. Even the Premier League is pulling away. Just watch the ratings in US when SCF GM 1 is going up against NBA WCF GM 7.

Um what? I've said all along if you don't want to watch, don't watch, it makes no difference to me. It's the anti-cup crowd who seem to be in some cases going to extremes like saying the NHL has no right to even hold this tournament etc. :laugh:

Simply not true. The previous tournaments were amazing, if you think passion was lacking in 1976 or 1987 etc. you're wrong. Will there be the same passion this time around? That remains to be seen but I wouldn't jump to any conclusions. I'd bet quite a lot that the level of play/passion/drive will be a helluva lot closer to the last Olympics then to the ASG which some posters have (laughably) compared even past tournaments to. TBH, the last Olympics were somewhat boring to me. Yeah there were medals on the line, big deal. Canada was never seriously threatened at any point which made it all a bit boring. JMHO.

:laugh: Please provide a source for this laughable assertion. :biglaugh:

How is that seriously going to change in the World Cup. At Sochi everyone had their best team and Canada was head and shoulders above everyone else. That won't change during this tournament like people are expecting. The players competing are essentially the same. Infact, USA might be worse off having to lose certain players to the U23 team that would have otherwise made the team.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
We are pretty small in comparison to the top four in the world. So comparing us to them is laughable. The gap between us and NBA is widening. Even the Premier League is pulling away. Just watch the ratings in US when SCF GM 1 is going up against NBA WCF GM 7.

How is that seriously going to change in the World Cup. At Sochi everyone had their best team and Canada was head and shoulders above everyone else. That won't change during this tournament like people are expecting. The players competing are essentially the same. Infact, USA might be worse off having to lose certain players to the U23 team that would have otherwise made the team.

I'm not saying it will change, just that it might change. If we were to replay the Olympics 10 times (just as an example) I doubt Canada would win 10 times out of 10 and I would doubt even more that Canada would win 10 times out of 10 in such dominating fashion. But you're right, it certainly could play out that way and you're right that the USA team will be worse off. In fact the USA team is already worse off for not selecting Kessel to the team but that's on the idiots who picked their team. :laugh:

habsrule4eva3089

Nov 22, 2008
I can't wait to see this thread explode with happiness when nobody in Canada is watching.

There's no one in any other country watching to begin with. And when the one country they banked on doesn't care, it'll be priceless to see the faces of those idiots in suits.

That will be epic.

The World Juniors in December will garner more viewers then this tournament. Watch and see.

A winter sport, holding a tournament in september. Bravo. Let's stay at home and sit on our ass and watch non nations compete with Canada's possibly best player not on Team Canada. Woohoo!

There's a final also, and it's in june, bravo for that also.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Numbers please...?
[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Oh, and I'll just be clear on something : It's possible to opine that the 2016 World Cup is a really hare-brained scheme to make money, or a very poor substitute for a true best-on-best international tournament, because it's neither really international nor really best on best.

But that doesn't make the IOC a recommendable partner in anything, nor does it make the IIHF World Championship an actually serious international best-on-best tournament (but it's at least international, so there's that).

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Oh, and I'll just be clear on something : It's possible to opine that the 2016 World Cup is a really hare-brained scheme to make money, or a very poor substitute for a true best-on-best international tournament, because it's neither really international nor really best on best.

But that doesn't make the IOC a recommendable partner in anything, nor does it make the IIHF World Championship an actually serious international best-on-best tournament (but it's at least international, so there's that).

It's possible to opine whatever you like.

If being truly international and truly best on best would make the perfect tournament then the World Cup will be near perfection because if it's not international and best on best than it's pretty darn close to it IMO.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I think you missed the point. My post was about the IOC. Not the IIHF.

Besides, none of the five biggest leagues in the World in terms of revenue stop their season for the Olympics. Why the NHL would do so is a mystery.

NHL is in a sport that is kind of a big deal in more than one country, and on enough continents to warrant being not only an olympic sport but really the main event on the Winter Olympics.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
NHL is in a sport that is kind of a big deal in more than one country, and on enough continents to warrant being not only an olympic sport but really the main event on the Winter Olympics.

I totally agree with you on that.
Apparently, the IOC doesn't.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I can't wait to see this thread explode with happiness when nobody in Canada is watching.

There's no one in any other country watching to begin with. And when the one country they banked on doesn't care, it'll be priceless to see the faces of those idiots in suits.

That will be epic.

The World Juniors in December will garner more viewers then this tournament. Watch and see.

A winter sport, holding a tournament in september. Bravo. Let's stay at home and sit on our ass and watch non nations compete with Canada's possibly best player not on Team Canada. Woohoo!

There's a final also, and it's in june, bravo for that also.

You might as well wish for a pony while you are at it.

Because if there is one thing thr country of canada in general and the city of toronto lacks an appetite for, its clearly best on bestockey.

Pdsssst the league has ALREADY made more than all of the olympics in which they were the draw, combined.

And if you like mcjesus you should be happy because im not sure he makes the A team straight out ( hockey canada rarely goes with youth). Based on the oh so important world shampionships he certainly didnt distinguish himself to be an automatic selection. Riggt now hes probably even money to be another victim of Canada's depth.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I totally agree with you on that.
Apparently, the IOC doesn't.

I don't think it is nor it should be IOC's main concern what NHL's domestic challenges and position in comparison to NBA, NFL or Major League Baseball is. I'm firstly and foremostly a fan of proper international hockey and would find it hard to respect NHL if they will put their personal business before the sport.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
I don't think it is nor it should be IOC's main concern what NHL's domestic challenges and position in comparison to NBA, NFL or Major League Baseball is. I'm firstly and foremostly a fan of proper international hockey and would find it hard to respect NHL if they will put their personal business before the sport.

Yeah the nerve of a PRIVATE for profit league telling the parasitic IOC the gravy train is over?

Don't they recognize all of their non customers who must be appeased?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Yeah the nerve of a PRIVATE for profit league telling the parasitic IOC the gravy train is over?

The players also may have an opinion on the matter.

Plus if that's their idea of advertising their Stanley Cup product to us in the international audiences... I care mildly only because I know the players from the international international games. The Canadians seem to be less than extatic this year too, because of not having what to care for since the beginning of the playoffs.

The viewership for IIHF tourney on TSN was bigger than that of SC playoffs. Some alarm clocks should be ringing.

Last edited:

PNWKingsFan

Sep 3, 2014
Seattle

I don't really understand why you keep restating the "private league" thing like it is some discussion changer. No one here is disputing that the NHL is within their rights to attempt this.

It's just that it's not going to be a "true" international tournament, not the way it is run now. I, and I think most people in this thread and in the hockey community, would prefer one. Hence the disinterest in this.

Does that make sense? I'm legitimately wondering how much you are on auto-pilot in this discussion by just reposting the same stuff over and over.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
The 2018 team? The one that fasel says more than likely wont have NHL players? The one he could have auditioned for next year ( provided he didnt go past the 2 round) and the one he said he didnt like being left off the fiest 16? That olympic team?
Both he and Duschene said they were using the shampiobships as a way to turn some heads and make their case for september. This september.

I have no idea if the players will dog it, i suspect that they will not ( based on previous canada cups). What do you have other rhan your gut that they intend to mail it in?

The games will very likely be competitive and the PA likely already knows the deal with korea making this the only possibility of going best on best and throwing off the shackles of the IOC. But sure they intend to dog it because the deal they previously had with the IOC was such a good one.

Again even some of the players who were initially skeptical have not refused the invite ( unlike the shampionships where its only bubble players with sonething to prove who go). It might turn out to be a dumpster fire, sure. It will fall sonewhere between world vlass abomination ( shampionships) and great world class hockey ( canada cup) and Ill wait till puck drop before making sweeping proclamations on BEHALF of the players.

If the players really want to see who is best, this is probably their only choice. But sure they will squander it to appease YOUR gut.

Duchene was at the World Championship in 2013, 2015 and 2016. He wasn't there in 2014 because the Avalanche made the playoffs, hence he wasn't available. Otherwise he would have probably joined team Canada, like he has done for those 3 out of 4 World Championship.
Saying he went to this World Championship to audition for the WC is simply not what it was.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
I don't really understand why you keep restating the "private league" thing like it is some discussion changer. No one here is disputing that the NHL is within their rights to attempt this.

It's just that it's not going to be a "true" international tournament, not the way it is run now. I, and I think most people in this thread and in the hockey community, would prefer one. Hence the disinterest in this.

Does that make sense? I'm legitimately wondering how much you are on auto-pilot in this discussion by just reposting the same stuff over and over.

Russia, Scandinavia, Europe and North America will be represented but it's not an international tournament because ... China and Africa? :laugh:

serp

Jan 17, 2016
None of those leagues are Top-5 leagues in the World by revenue.

NHL should compare itself to the NBA. Not the KHL.

Is the NHL even Top 5 if you include all Sports ? NBA , NFL , MLB and Premier League are guaranteed to be above it. I would guess Premiera Division , Bundesliga and Serie A could come pretty close to the NHL.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Russia, Scandinavia, Europe and North America will be represented but it's not an international tournament because ... China and Africa? :laugh:

In the word 'international' the important part is 'nation'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad