So, Lets Discuss this "World Cup" Nonsense for a Second...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Johnny Gaudreau is going to play with Connor McDavid. That's never going to happen again. Iron Man is fighting Hulk. Enjoy it for what it is.

Pretty much. You'd think HF Boards couldn't wait to see what Team North America can do in a tournament like this.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of this World Cup. I prefer the Olympics because that only comes around every 4 years and it would feel more special to me if the US won Gold medal instead of winning this "World Cup". I don't like the idea of Team North America and Team Europe because that defeats the purpose of a World Cup.

That being said I'll watch regardless because at the end of the day I'm watching the best of the best going at each other.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
I'm not overly thrilled with the idea of this World Cup. I prefer the Olympics because that only comes around every 4 years and it would feel more special to me if the US won Gold medal instead of winning this "World Cup". I don't like the idea of Team North America and Team Europe because that defeats the purpose of a World Cup.

That being said I'll watch regardless because at the end of the day I'm watching the best of the best going at each other.

Team North America exists because Crosby didn't make the Turin team and Stamkos wasn't in Vancouver. And it's inherently more interesting than Team Switzerland rounding out the roster. Of all the players on Team North America, the only one who has a shot at Team Canada is McDavid, and they wouldn't take him because it's not how they do business. There are 13 forwards better with more international experience. So if there's no North America, the NHL runs the risk of their next generational player not being involved at all. It also serves as a nice showcase for all the North American guys who will define the sport for the next 10 years.

Team Europe exists because several nations aren't deep enough on their own to field a competitive team without resorting to some defensive trap fest. And so Anze Kopitar gets to play. Combine some weak sisters like a Megazord and boom, you have a team that can hang in there with the best of Canada and Sweden. Maybe even win.

The US kinda gets screwed, I don't think there's a question Gaudreau and Eichel make that team in an Olympic situation.

Personally, I think a lot of Canadians don't like this tournament because every single opponent is a legitimate threat to them. Victory is far from certain, so they're devaluing the tournament's merit so if they DO lose, 'who cares it was a gimmick'.

I can tell you, childhood me was way more devastated following the American world cup victory than the Nagano shootout.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It will be the World Cup, of the Preseason. Nothing more.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Even if the NHLPA gets some of the money from this, it's still a money-grab by the NHL. The NHL receives NO profits from the Olympics and NO TV revenue. The NHL will control EVERYTHING with this... ESPN is ALREADY running promos for it.

The NHL does NOT want to participate in the next Olympic games and this abomination is the bone they're going to throw to the fans that want a best-on-best tournament. Yay. This "World Cup" is the international tournament equivalent of the NHL expanding into the American South. They are ignoring what people want and trying to sell people something they don't.

Casual fans would watch a USA gold medal game in the Olympics. Would they watch this? Almost every American has no idea this is even going to happen. The chatter on this message board is the most publicity this tournament is getting.

To the poster who wondered where the Canada Cup is - I think Vladimir Putin is keeping it on a shelf at the Kremlin next to Bob Kraft's Super Bowl XXXIX ring. :help: :sarcasm: Seriously, it's at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact: finally here!!!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
Why...in what world, would ANY NHL team want their core and/or star players going to play in a tournament literally the week before the NHL season starts?

Why, would any NHL team allow players to miss training camp and the entire preseason(or 80%?), and not get used to playing with new players/systems etc to play in this tournament?

Why, would any NHL allow players to play in this silly tournament and potentially of one of their players suffer a serious injury, right before the season starts up?

WHY?

It's not even the damn Olympics which at least can be understandable.

Am I missing something here? And I'm literally not even excited for it the slightest. Come September I'm pumped up for the NHL season to start up again soon, not a worthless tournament.

Am I alone on these questions and opinion of the thing?

Thank you and no, you most definitely are NOT alone. My exact same feelings.

People wondering 'why would x players try?' Have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes pro athletes tick.

It's an honor to be named to this tournament. It means you're one of 150 of the best in the game.

Johnny Gaudreau is going to play with Connor McDavid. That's never going to happen again. Iron Man is fighting Hulk. Enjoy it for what it is.

YOU have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes pro athletes tick. What makes pro athletes tick when it comes to international competitions, it is to try to be the best in the world for the honor of their nation. And that's the Olympic Games for you.
Not this crap, invitational tournament with made up teams (team North America? Team Europe? Please...). This World Cup at best has the same value (=zero), sport wise, as the Spengler Cup. The only value the World Cup has, it's purely from an entertainment point of view.

Being invited to a tournament isn't an honor in itself: earning your participation by beating other teams is (teams at the OG, with very limited exceptions like the hosting nation, have to earn their spot).
Also, I beg to differ about that "150 best players in the world" thing... Plenty of good pros playing in other leagues. The results at recent OG's (from 2006 on) say clearly that on any given day anyone could beat anyone else. So let's eat a little piece of humble pie here...

Even if the NHLPA gets some of the money from this, it's still a money-grab by the NHL. The NHL receives NO profits from the Olympics and NO TV revenue. The NHL will control EVERYTHING with this... ESPN is ALREADY running promos for it.

The NHL does NOT want to participate in the next Olympic games and this abomination is the bone they're going to throw to the fans that want a best-on-best tournament. Yay. This "World Cup" is the international tournament equivalent of the NHL expanding into the American South. They are ignoring what people want and trying to sell people something they don't.

Casual fans would watch a USA gold medal game in the Olympics. Would they watch this? Almost every American has no idea this is even going to happen. The chatter on this message board is the most publicity this tournament is getting.

To the poster who wondered where the Canada Cup is - I think Vladimir Putin is keeping it on a shelf at the Kremlin next to Bob Kraft's Super Bowl XXXIX ring. :help: :sarcasm: Seriously, it's at the Hockey Hall of Fame.

Great post! :handclap:

Samcanadian

Dec 13, 2011
A lot of "hockey" fans whining and complaining about competitive hockey a couple weeks early.

Must have been a long week for most of you guys.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
This is a tournament for hockey fans only. Do you think people will remember the way the miracle on ice team is remembered if USA wins this tournament, no.

ElfanuReinhard*

I just know that I'm going to take Misato to watch Sweden-Russia (When she becomes my gf and hopefully before the World Cup takes place).

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

All of that is just your opinion and ignoring the facts of why the NHL is no longer participating in the Olympics.

The Olympics is a corrupt organization that is bankrupting countries. Look at Rio and how much of a mess it is.

I am proud the NHL is stepping away from the Olympics and I love the idea of the World Cup again. The NHL will control everything, including the officiating!!! It is going to be held in the summer, which is amazing, and it will have the best players in the world competing against each other.

Now I understand you can nitpick at the teams, mainly at Team Europe, but the NHL is doing what it can.

I for one am VERY excited and really looking forward to September!

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
I for one am VERY excited and really looking forward to September!

You mean when Team Europe will play "not for the name in the back, but the crest in the front"?

Which is a broken hockey stick. On a rotten blue shirt. For a makeshift "country". :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Makes American/Canadian understanding of countries questionable too. Maybe even the intelligence and schooling of the guys who came up with this crap.

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
Do not understand people who are not excited for this tournament. Best on best hockey is unreal. With the two new teams, every game is going to be one you can't wait to watch. Team North America vs Canada is one of the games I'm looking forward to most. Not sure why anyone would want to see Belarus get railed by Canada 10-0 in a game with zero intensity. People trying to take a stand not to watch it to spite the NHL? Don't get it..if you enjoy watching hockey than this tournament is going to be awesome.

JS91

May 14, 2014
Whether some of you guys like it or not, it will make money for the NHL and that's all that matters. The tournament is held in Toronto meaning that the games will be packed just from the sheer power of the names of the players in the tournament. Even if the players don't give it all they got, their names will attract fans to the games no matter what.

The timing of it is perfect in terms of when a tournament like that should be played. Having it right before the season guarantees that most of the players who could play there will play there due to them most likely being healthy at that point. The Olympics always suffer from having a lot of star players injured before the tournament so teams that aren't Canada will have to bring in replacement players who may not be anywhere near as good as the original player.

I'll surely watch a lot of the games simply because I like watching good hockey and I personally think that this kind of tournament hockey is much better than regular season hockey. This tournament will be filled with star players and they will be on every line of every team so there is no question it will be exciting to watch. I do agree that the Team North America and Team Europe concepts seem a bit weird. Team NA will likely be exciting to watch as they are all young guys looking to get their name more out there and impress. Team Europe, not so much. Discounting that fact though I do think this will be a fun tournament to watch that most of the fans will enjoy and it will surely do fine even with some of these ol' chaps over here at HF not watching it.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Thank you and no, you most definitely are NOT alone. My exact same feelings.

YOU have a fundamental misunderstanding of what makes pro athletes tick. What makes pro athletes tick when it comes to international competitions, it is to try to be the best in the world for the honor of their nation. And that's the Olympic Games for you.
Not this crap, invitational tournament with made up teams (team North America? Team Europe? Please...). This World Cup at best has the same value (=zero), sport wise, as the Spengler Cup. The only value the World Cup has, it's purely from an entertainment point of view.

Being invited to a tournament isn't an honor in itself: earning your participation by beating other teams is (teams at the OG, with very limited exceptions like the hosting nation, have to earn their spot).
Also, I beg to differ about that "150 best players in the world" thing... Plenty of good pros playing in other leagues. The results at recent OG's (from 2006 on) say clearly that on any given day anyone could beat anyone else. So let's eat a little piece of humble pie here...

Great post! :handclap:

Athletes compete. Whether it's soccer in the hallways before the game, poker or PS Vita on the plane, or a tournament. Nobody wants to be embarrassed. The eyes of the hockey world will be on this tournament. There will be no declining of invitations a la the WHC. When bullets start flying for real, you will not see passengers.

The NHL is the best league in the world. Sure, there are good players in other leagues. Any more than a handful who'd make a team that wasn't Russia? No. Nobody who doesn't play in the NHL will be on Sweden's blue line.

And no, the results don't indicate anyone can beat anyone. One side can clog up the neutral zone and throw three people in front of every shot and hope they get lucky against Canada. In this format, every team is going to be loaded up with top end skill. And hopefully, the coaches are a little less conservative.

This is a spectacle - the NHL sets its own rules and it has decided not to waste everyone's time with Team Switzerland and Team Belarus. Nobody wants to watch a bunch of roided Latvians standing between Shea Weber and Gudlevskis - once was enough.

11Goat11

Inside her
Feb 18, 2006
Hockey fans love to complain. Ya I get that this tournament in it's current format is kind of a joke but they had to start somewhere to build it up again. My understanding is the following tournament after this will be a real World Cup with qualifiers and proper nations. In the future this will be much better than the Olympics imo for many of the reasons stated above, the IOC is so corrupt it's ridiculous.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Personally, I think a lot of Canadians don't like this tournament because every single opponent is a legitimate threat to them

This right here. TSN created a ratings bonanza by whipping up nationalistic pride in broadcasting Team Canada clobber the likes of Elbonia, Molvania, and Krakozhia in the WHC and the WJHC. Now that there are legitimate teams that Canada won't wallop, victory isn't as certain so it isn't as much fun.

Canadians don't like having their egos threatened like that.

Edmonton East

BUT the ADvaNCEd STatS...
Nov 25, 2007

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
It won't be any success, since there is no interest in Europe for this tournament.

Unless you arent following, it doesnt NEED interest from europe. We already have all we need from Europe, their top end talent and a venue that values best on besy hockey.

The NHL has ALREADY made more money from the world cup than tgey did from the last 3 olympics combined. Without selling a single ticket.

What are the chances thr deepest hockey market ( by a mile) ignores a best on best ( with gimmics) hockey tournament?

I can see why you woukd hope its a dumpster fire because if its not the NHL can ( and will) ask what the hell do they need the IOC and IIHF for?

Staccato

Nov 4, 2013
My main gripe with this tournament is that team USA will be crippled without a few young players that has to play for the U23-team. It is embarrasing for a tournament that is supposed to be best on best.

8LX7psQ

Apr 13, 2010
This right here. TSN created a ratings bonanza by whipping up nationalistic pride in broadcasting Team Canada clobber the likes of Elbonia, Molvania, and Krakozhia in the WHC and the WJHC. Now that there are legitimate teams that Canada won't wallop, victory isn't as certain so it isn't as much fun.

Canadians don't like having their egos threatened like that.

Absolutely. Everybody recalls Canadians avoiding watching the Olympics from '98 on and downplaying the importance that silly tournament as a result of real competition. Great post!

Echiel and McDavid not being able to play for their respective countries is what sours me on this whole mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad