So, is the NHL going to modify the Bjugstad trade?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The conditions were:
  • Plays 70 games in 2020-2021
  • OR
  • Scores 35 points in 2020-2021

I know that the conditional pick (7th) doesn't seem like much and there was a very strong chance that Bjugstad wouldn't have fulfilled the conditions even under normal circumstances, but unless (a) Minnesota goes on a deep playoff run (14 games after the regular season) OR if Bjugstad scores more than a point per every other game (.625 per game), he won't fulfill either condition right off the bat.

There is no condition in it that the 35 points had to come during a full season (important, because if you take a full season and calculate what 35 points in 82 games turns into, it goes down to 24 points in a 56 game season, which is more reasonable to hit) or that the 70 games had to be in a full season.

Just curious, because the NHL already modified a few other trades.

Last edited:

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
70 out of 82 is like 85% which is 48 games in a 56 game season I think. 85% of 35 is 30.

Reactions: Tweed

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I'm assuming 2021-2022 is a typo? Since that's next season not this season.

Thanks. You're right. I keep thinking 21-22 since we are in 21.

70 out of 82 is like 85% which is 48 games in a 56 game season I think. 85% of 35 is 30.

The trade doesn't say anything about a shortened season and they made the trade well aware there could be an abbreviated season.

Reactions: dekelikekocur

zar

Bleed Blue
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2010
Edmonton AB
The conditions were:
  • OR

I know that the conditional pick (7th) doesn't seem like much and there was a very strong chance that Bjugstad wouldn't have fulfilled the conditions even under normal circumstances, but unless (a) Minnesota goes on a deep playoff run (14 games after the regular season) OR if Bjugstad scores more than a point per every other game (.625 per game), he won't fulfill either condition right off the bat.

There is no condition in it that the 35 points had to come during a full season (important, because if you take a full season and calculate what 35 points in 82 games turns into, it goes down to 24 points in a 56 game season, which is more reasonable to hit) or that the 70 games had to be in a full season.

Thanks. You're right. I keep thinking 21-22 since we are in 21.

The trade doesn't say anything about a shortened season and they made the trade well aware there could be an abbreviated season.

see Lucic/Neal trade conditions... from last year’s shortened season... yes, they will pro-rate.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
see Lucic/Neal trade conditions... from last year’s shortened season... yes, they will pro-rate.

Didn't they have to an agreement from both teams?

It seems crazy that Pens traded Bjugstad knowing that the season would be abbreviated.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The way Bjugstad is playing so far the Pens will not get that 7th. To put it in perspective, Victor Rask has looked much better than him....so...

Yackiberg8

Mar 11, 2016
Halifax
The conditions were:
  • OR

Doesn't seem like much or is the least valuable asset possible?

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
The conditions were:
  • OR

Technically, since this season is only taking place in 2021, the conditions already cannot be met as they are written

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
No why would Edmonton agree to that? It was a ruling by the league.

Because they did, it was said that the 2 teams agreed to allow it at the time of the ruling. The league gave them the chance to renegotiate the terms or allow the old terms under the premise under a full season the things would of been hit.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Because they did, it was said that the 2 teams agreed to allow it at the time of the ruling. The league gave them the chance to renegotiate the terms or allow the old terms under the premise under a full season the things would of been hit.
Link?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The Pens don't care if they get a 7th round pick. They just wanted Bjugstad's contract gone.

They are also paying Minnesota. I'd think they would care to get a draft pick or not since they have so little in this year's draft as is.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017

That kind of just sounds like the NHL made the decision to enforce the proration.

Doesn't really sound like there was much alternative - Oilers ask to defer the conditions a year, or reduce the pick to a 5th or something. Calgary obviously says no because its not in their interest to wait or get a lower pick, if they know the NHL is just going to force the original conditions.

Boom, teams can't make an agreement, original conditions enforced. I guess there's the illusion you have a choice, but Calgary isn't taking anything less than what the contract stated once the NHL says, "figure something out or take a third". Makes sense for both teams to just get it done, but it seems straight forward that's the leagues doing, not the teams.

Its like the pirate left on an island with one bullet. Starve or shoot yourself... sure he makes the choice to shoot himself or starve, but either way he's dead. (Unless he can find some sea turtles, mate)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad