So how will the schedule work?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Everyone knows that was scheduled that way to give the B’s an unfair advantage.

Please tell me you're joking. And not one of those paranoid fans who think that everyone is out to get their team.

And heaven forbid, a major broadcast partner (and I would argue primary broadcast partner) wanted a popular team to show on their main network. I'm a Canadian and a Leafs fan and I would give that game to NBC for their afternoon slot every time.

And if the Leafs are too incompetent to win a game just because it was played at a time other than 7:00 pm ET, then they don't deserve to win the game.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
I could be wrong, but I thought 2 arenas would be used per city for games, and 1 soley dedicated to practice.

We will likely see several simultaneous games during the play-ins, and 1st round.

Even then Toronto and Edmonton have at least 5-10 suitable arenas in each city they could play in.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Play in rounds start on a Saturday. So almost everyone could probably play on Saturday in each conference if you start games early enough (11:00, 3:30, 8:00) and again on Sunday.

You could probably have it so that all teams are 2 games in after Monday. Then 3-4 games in after Friday, with ability to finish up over the weekend.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
I could be wrong, but I thought 2 arenas would be used per city for games, and 1 soley dedicated to practice.

We will likely see several simultaneous games during the play-ins, and 1st round.

Even then Toronto and Edmonton have at least 5-10 suitable arenas in each city they could play in.

Depending on the definition on suitable, you may be right. However, I think that your definition of suitable and the NHL's definition of suitable are very different. How many of these other suitable arena have the cameras and links back to the Toronto war room needed for video review? Do they have the broadcast facilities needed for producing an NHL broadcast? Do they have the capabilities for providing the promised online access to post-game conferences that the NHL has promised? Could they be upgraded to have those capabilities? In three weeks and at a cost that makes it practical for three weeks of broadcasts? I'm not so sure.

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
Play in rounds start on a Saturday. So almost everyone could probably play on Saturday in each conference if you start games early enough (11:00, 3:30, 8:00) and again on Sunday.

You could probably have it so that all teams are 2 games in after Monday. Then 3-4 games in after Friday, with ability to finish up over the weekend.

You've covered the qualifying round, but when do you see them playing the 6 round robin games? Are you assuming one arena or two in each hub for games?

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Of course MLB is a joke, what kind of question is that? Have you ever tried watching baseball? It's like a less exciting soccer. Both are unwatchable

And yet soccer (and to a lesser degree, baseball) is orders of magnitude more popular than hockey.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
You've covered the qualifying round, but when do you see them playing the 6 round robin games? Are you assuming one arena or two in each hub for games?
I would assume they play those as early afternoon games during the week, as they may not attract as much of an audience anyways.

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
Oh, look, another poster who thinks life is centered around them. Some of us like baseball -- as much as and sometimes more than hockey. The NHL wishes it was as big a joke as MLB -- MLB has about double the revenues of the NHL.
I think the MLB is a joke not because its boring but because in its history it is riddles with cheating and nothing is done about it even the words from the commisionar made the MLB look even more of a joke. The sport of baseball is stained and has been stained a long time now and the cheating scandal that was found out this year made it even worse and on top of that you add that the MLB commisionar doesn't give a f*** and basically brushed the scandal aside by NOT taking away the championship was a big WTF moment.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Depending on the definition on suitable, you may be right. However, I think that your definition of suitable and the NHL's definition of suitable are very different. How many of these other suitable arena have the cameras and links back to the Toronto war room needed for video review? Do they have the broadcast facilities needed for producing an NHL broadcast? Do they have the capabilities for providing the promised online access to post-game conferences that the NHL has promised? Could they be upgraded to have those capabilities? In three weeks and at a cost that makes it practical for three weeks of broadcasts? I'm not so sure.

I can't speak for Toronto.

But I know in Edmonton, there's already 2 arenas in the ice district (one used as a practice facility).
Same with the UofA Golden Bears, and the Bill Hunter arena used by Grant MacEwan.

They've had broadcasts on TSN and Sportsnet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Northlands Coliseum (Rexall Place) would still be usable.
It's obviously not ideal, but the Oilers were still playing there as late as 2018.

I'm sure there are plenty of other facilities. Equipping them with Cameras isn't a huge deal.

The issue with the arenas were always about things like capacity, availability of parking, infrastructure (public transit lines), concessions, washrooms, etc. But if they're playing in front of no crowds, 99% of their issues disappear.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
They can play some games earlier and broadcast them later if they choose.

The UFC has done this with overseas PPV events and in their case (before Covid-19), there were fans in the seats and press so the results were easily available if you wanted to know. If you want to watch it "fresh", turn off everything until the game is broadcast that evening.

I don't see a problem for the play-in round with that, and in the actual playoffs less games so they could simply do 2 evening games/night in each hub.

islandersbob

Jan 1, 2006
saved me
If there are afternoon week day games and I miss seeing my team play... nhl even more of a joke than I thought.
You do know that the NCAA basketball tournament, aka, March Madness, has afternoon and really late starting games (EST) the first two rounds. Most of the best moments from those tournaments come during those daytime/really late starting games. Last I checked, March Madness is WAY more popular than NHL playoffs.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
I can't speak for Toronto.

But I know in Edmonton, there's already 2 arenas in the ice district (one used as a practice facility).
Same with the UofA Golden Bears, and the Bill Hunter arena used by Grant MacEwan.

They've had broadcasts on TSN and Sportsnet.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe Northlands Coliseum (Rexall Place) would still be usable.
It's obviously not ideal, but the Oilers were still playing there as late as 2018.

I'm sure there are plenty of other facilities. Equipping them with Cameras isn't a huge deal.

The issue with the arenas were always about things like capacity, availability of parking, infrastructure (public transit lines), concessions, washrooms, etc. But if they're playing in front of no crowds, 99% of their issues disappear.

The boards and glass in those type of aenras are VASTLY different than NHL. I have played in basically every arena in Toronto and the only 2 with NHL quality bords/glass are SBA (Leafs) and Coca Cola Centre (Marlies). Even Mastercard Centre isn't as good, althought not too far off being their practice arena. There are a lot of great arenas, but most have smaller benches and the boards are much different.

I'm guessing if they expand arenas it would be: SBA, Coca Cola Centre, Mattamy/Old Maple Leaf Gardens (Ryerson University) and Mastrcard Centre (4 pads)

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
The boards and glass in those type of aenras are VASTLY different than NHL. I have played in basically every arena in Toronto and the only 2 with NHL quality bords/glass are SBA (Leafs) and Coca Cola Centre (Marlies). Even Mastercard Centre isn't as good, althought not too far off being their practice arena. There are a lot of great arenas, but most have smaller benches and the boards are much different.

I'm guessing if they expand arenas it would be: SBA, Coca Cola Centre, Mattamy/Old Maple Leaf Gardens (Ryerson University) and Mastrcard Centre (4 pads)
Completely naive on this subject.

But are boards and glass incredibly different to bring up to an NHL standard when you have $$millions?

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON

Thanks for the link. Enjoyed hearing John Shannon talk on subjects he knows -- one of the problems with him on Sportsnet was that he was asked to be a general hockey analyst too often and that's not his strength -- but for things like broadcasting and the how the league offices work, he's good.

Reactions: markog

rojac

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2007
Waterloo, ON
You do know that the NCAA basketball tournament, aka, March Madness, has afternoon and really late starting games (EST) the first two rounds. Most of the best moments from those tournaments come during those daytime/really late starting games. Last I checked, March Madness is WAY more popular than NHL playoffs.

You'll run into a significant number of Leaf fans on these boards who will whine if the Leafs play at any time other than 7:00 pm ET.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You'll run into a significant number of Leaf fans on these boards who will whine if the Leafs play at any time other than 7:00 pm ET.
To be fair it does seem weird when NBC comes in and says what time a playoff game is supposed to start when it's played in a Canadian city like Toronto, considering the NHL's TV deal in Canada with Rogers. Personally I don't care what time the game starts, it's just a thought of mine and nothing more.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
Of course MLB is a joke, what kind of question is that? Have you ever tried watching baseball? It's like a less exciting soccer. Both are unwatchable
Baseball is great to watch, as is soccer especially during world cup. Guys like you just dont understand those sports.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Completely naive on this subject.

But are boards and glass incredibly different to bring up to an NHL standard when you have $$millions?

I don't know the cost, but I can tell you they are much different. Professional boards have a lot of movement to absorb hits and the glass reacts differently to pucks, they also feel softer, I'm guessing to help avoid shattering from shots.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.

That moment you see the start date for the games, and your vacation starts the same day.

WellgroomedFormalKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad