So how do YOU think the Flyers did in the draft?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Super excited for this years WJC. Seems like we'll have quite a few representatives again, and in even larger roles than last year.

Dabest

Nov 22, 2015
Super excited for this years WJC. Seems like we'll have quite a few representatives again, and in even larger roles than last year.

Hart, Sandstrom, Myers?, Konecny, Rubstov?, Vorobyov?, Kase

Who else.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Do you have a link to the Flyers draft board or comments about having 1st round grades on their first 4 picks?

I saw it on CSN Philly. I'll see if I can locate it again, but Hextall was commenting about the first for selections and he started that the Flyers had them rated in three first round on their board, shoo he wad shocked tip Swede them available. Give me a few and I'll find it (currently at work and the firewall is locked down with regards to sports sites).

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hart, Sandstrom, Myers?, Konecny, Rubstov?, Vorobyov?, Kase

Who else.

I think that's all

Hart- Probable starter for Canada
Sandstrom - likely starter for Sweden
Myers - possible top 4 defensemen for Canada
Konecny - if not in NHL, probably top line for Canada
Rubtsov - top 6 C for Russia
Vorobyov - top 6 C for Russia
Kase - top 6 for Czech

Also possible that Laczynski makes USA.

He Is Knocking

Jul 1, 2015
I saw it on CSN Philly. I'll see if I can locate it again, but Hextall was commenting about the first for selections and he started that the Flyers had them rated in three first round on their board, shoo he wad shocked tip Swede them available. Give me a few and I'll find it (currently at work and the firewall is locked down with regards to sports sites).

I believe this is what you're writing about.

I read it last night very entertaining.

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/time-will-tell-if-passing-kieffer-bellows-german-rubtsov-will-be-right-or-wrong

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And here I thought size didn't matter in today's NHL..

"We wanted speed, we wanted size,†Hextall said. “We wanted skill. Obviously, it’s not in every player. But we feel like we got all three elements. We had enough picks."

Where ya at Magua?

:sarcasm:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I went with an A. Two very well rounded forwards and a goalie. I'll take it.

Time will tell how things pan out, but in theory this was good.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Listening to 97.5 talk about the Flyers passing on Bellows and Gauthier :facepalm:

Myrtetus embarrassing himself.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Did these guys even know who any of these players were before this morning?

Not a chance in hell.

They probably couldn't name anyone in our bottom 6 on the actual Flyers last season except maybe Ryan White...because fights.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Listening to 97.5 talk about the Flyers passing on Bellows and Gauthier :facepalm:

Myrtetus embarrassing himself.

Oh hey, and look his great "sources" were wrong. Sanheim is still here. I guess the Flyers weren't concerned about his "lack of progression especially in international competition." Just unreal stupidity coming from that guy.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Rubstov is an all-around center. He’s not Kieffer Bellows, a 50-goal left winger the Flyers should have taken. Both Hextall and Chris Pryor, the club’s director of scouting, said going into the draft that “all Bellows does is score goals.â€

And this is why I hate the sportswriters in this town.
1) The odds that Bellows ever scores 50 goals is slim and none, even top goal scorers these days struggle to score 40, and if he ends up a one dimensional 30 goal scorer he's not that valuable. If he ends up like Gagner he has no value.
2) Two way centers who can skate and score have more value than one dimensional scorers, I mean who would you keep on the Flyers over Couts?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Tomek is a lock. Laberge definitely has a chance. I actually put him on my preliminary roster guess a while back on the main boards.

Oh thats who i forgot. Tomek will be there and, yeah, hopefully Laberge can have a strong start to the season and make TC too.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If Bellows scores 50 goals in an NHL season then we shoulda taken him.

That's a huge if. The only guy in this draft I'd be confident in scoring 50 goals is Laine.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Rubstov is an all-around center. He’s not Kieffer Bellows, a 50-goal left winger the Flyers should have taken. Both Hextall and Chris Pryor, the club’s director of scouting, said going into the draft that “all Bellows does is score goals.â€

1) The odds that Bellows ever scores 50 goals is slim and none, even top goal scorers these days struggle to score 40, and if he ends up a one dimensional 30 goal scorer he's not that valuable. If he ends up like Gagner he has no value.
2) Two way centers who can skate and score have more value than one dimensional scorers, I mean who would you keep on the Flyers over Couts?

That "all Bellows does is score goals" reminds me of Buddy Ryan cutting Cris Carter saying "all he does is score touchdowns". What Buddy really wanted to say was that Cris Carter was a raging coke head and I want him off my team. So I wonder what Hextall really wanted to say about Bellows?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

I would vehemently disagree with this. There were not even thirty guys in the entire league that scored 30 goals last season. That's less than one guy per team scoring 30 goals. 33 goals was good enough for 10th in the league. If Bellows is a regular 30 goal scorer, even if he is one-dimensional, that's valuable. He may not be a top line winger if that is literally all that he is doing, but if he's "just" a Scott Hartnell type of player, that's still a valuable asset. I understand that you want all your players to be well-rounded. Scorers, defensively strong, great playmakers. Obviously. You want the best from everyone in every aspect of your game. But it is unrealistic to expect that every player be in that boat. You can have guys that can only score just like you can have guys that can only pass just like you can have guys that can only play defense. You don't want your entire team to be build with one dimensional players, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with having one-dimensional players. While their value may not be the same as a complete player, to say that a guy consistently scoring 30 goals is "not that valuable" is laughable.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
At this point a one-dimensional 30 goal wing is a complimentary player. Valuable, yes, but not something you break your back to get if you have bigger needs.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's kinda like picking Couts or Simmonds. I love Simmonds and want him here a long time, but I'd say that Couts is more important because his defense makes up for the scoring gap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad