So how do YOU think the Flyers did in the draft?

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Considering the lack of a top pick and the smart trade down, an A+. Can nitpick at a couple of the later round picks, but it's all personal preference and I'm very willing to defer that to the Flyers.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
Why can't a 30-goal scorer be part of the core? There weren't even thirty 30-goal scorers in the NHL last season. 34 would be top ten. Are you honestly going to sit there and tell me that this would not be a valuable addition to the team?

Not that I disagree with your statement, because I believe players have roles on a team. However, who's to say Rubtsov won't be able to score 30 goals? Where are these assumptions coming from?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Depends what kind of player he is.

A 30 goal scorer who's a sniper who hangs out at the circle, doesn't forecheck or go into corners, and is late getting back b/c he's looking for a breakway instead of taking care of his defensive responsibilities doesn't have a lot of value. Especially if he's getting half those goals on the PP where he can be replaced fairly easily (much harder to find ES scorers).

I'd rather have a 20 goal/50 point guy who sets up teammates, forechecks, does the dirty work, cycles out of the O-zone properly, gets back on defense, and can play on the PK.

I'm not suggesting that we swap out a good two-way forward for a 30 goal scorer that doesn't play defense. If I have a choice between Brayden Schenn and a Nikolai Zherdev type (assuming he's going to score 30 goals), I'm going to take Brayden Schenn. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't also want the Zherdev-type player on the team. That's the point here. The 30-goal scorer is a valuable piece no matter any way you slice it. I'm not saying that we should make the team up of solely one-dimensional players, but to act like a 30 goal scorer is not a valuable piece because he doesn't play defense is silly. I'd pay a lot for that piece, just like I'd pay a lot for a Schenn-type player.

While I understand, I don't think Hextall/Hakstol want anybody in the 12 forwards that isn't going to play defense. So that 30 goal scorer better play some 2 way hockey. If he's a cherry picker, he's not going to be on this team is my guess.

That's probably true but that's just the coach/organizational makeup. I'm sure there are some coaches that would hate a guy like that and other coaches would love a guy like that.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Not that I disagree with your statement, because I believe players have roles on a team. However, who's to say Rubtsov won't be able to score 30 goals? Where are these assumptions coming from?

I wasn't suggesting he can't, I was responding to a post saying that Bellows wouldn't be a valuable player if he turned into a one-dimensional 30-goal scorer. That being said...I don't think anyone is projecting Rubstov to be a consistent 30-goal guy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
And if you look at the 30 goal scorers this year, not many...if any, "only" score goals.

I would have liked if we took Bellows, but am also happy we got Rubstov. Obviously, Hextall sees the C position as a bigger one to fill in the future since we have Konecny, Lindblom and NAK on the wing and ready to help much sooner.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not suggesting that we swap out a good two-way forward for a 30 goal scorer that doesn't play defense. If I have a choice between Brayden Schenn and a Nikolai Zherdev type (assuming he's going to score 30 goals), I'm going to take Brayden Schenn. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't also want the Zherdev-type player on the team. That's the point here. The 30-goal scorer is a valuable piece no matter any way you slice it. I'm not saying that we should make the team up of solely one-dimensional players, but to act like a 30 goal scorer is not a valuable piece because he doesn't play defense is silly. I'd pay a lot for that piece, just like I'd pay a lot for a Schenn-type player.

That's probably true but that's just the coach/organizational makeup. I'm sure there are some coaches that would hate a guy like that and other coaches would love a guy like that.

Exactly. It's all about who's choosing these players. Hakstol/Hextall believe that the guys they want will do the job, it remains to be seen, but you can see clearly where they are going with these forwards.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
And if you look at the 30 goal scorers this year, not many...if any, "only" score goals.

I would have liked if we took Bellows, but am also happy we got Rubstov. Obviously, Hextall sees the C position as a bigger one to fill in the future since we have Konecny, Lindblom and NAK on the wing and ready to help much sooner.

Yup. Just because someone would have preferred Bellows to Rubstov doesn't mean that it is some grave indictment of Rubstov's or Hextall's ability.

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I can understand the fans feeling that a wing with scoring potential would be a great addition to the system. However the Flyers have some of those in the pipeline. What they don't have is a strong prospect at center. Rubstov fits that bill if all that he does is end up being a 3rd line guy. If he proves to be more than that, all the better.
Every year the Russians put out two to four quality players in the draft. There is no reason to believe that this year's crop isn't up to that standard. Rubstov was the consensus best of that lot. As other have noted, this bunch wasn't seen in international competition so we don't know how Rubstov stacks up against the best of the draftees. All we can go on is what he did in Russia where PT depends on a lot of silly stuff. From what we have seen of him, he has skills.

AndHeMissedTheNet

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Feb 12, 2014
Prediction: At least 2 of our 3 picks in the second will end up being huge pieces to this teams future. Not to discredit Rubtsov and his potential, but he strikes me as the kind of player where, if he pans out, he's destined to be underrated.

I have a very, very good feeling about Laberge and Hart.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Konecny & NAK have pretty good shots. I think a lot of people see Konecny's high assist to goal ratio during his Ottawa days & assume he's a playmaker. However as we saw when he moved to Sarnia his goal totals shot up. His goal totals have always been high when playing with Canada too. So when he plays with talent he's more so a shooter than a playmaker.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Really will be interesting to see in 5 years or so who is the more valuable guy among the guys most of us here had pegged at 18/22. Jones, Tufte, Bellows, Gauthier, and Rubstov were all there at 18 and Jones/Rubstov/Tufte were there at 22. We got Laberge too so that will factor in as well.

Just set an appointment in my iOS calendar for 2/25/2021 to start a thread to compare the paths of Rubstov + Laberge vs Jones/Tufte/Bellows/Gauthier/anybody else?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
Just set an appointment in my iOS calendar for 2/25/2021 to start a thread to compare the paths of Rubstov + Laberge vs Jones/Tufte/Bellows/Gauthier/anybody else?
Add the opportunity to draft Luke Green,Brandon Gignac, and Sean Day in the 3rd round since that pick was traded in the deal with the Jets.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Konecny & NAK have pretty good shots. I think a lot of people see Konecny's high assist to goal ratio during his Ottawa days & assume he's a playmaker. However as we saw when he moved to Sarnia his goal totals shot up. His goal totals have always been high when playing with Canada too. So when he plays with talent he's more so a shooter than a playmaker.

Konecny has the ability to be everything offensively. Burn defenders through the NZ on the rush with speed or dangles or wait to do it in the OZ -- he will be generating a lot of controlled entries I reckon. Then he can snipe, pass, grind. He really does have the potential to be a do-everything offensive winger.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
I wasn't suggesting he can't, I was responding to a post saying that Bellows wouldn't be a valuable player if he turned into a one-dimensional 30-goal scorer. That being said...I don't think anyone is projecting Rubstov to be a consistent 30-goal guy.

And I believe most scouting reports on him are inconsistent and probably wrong. From his height and weight to what his strengths and weaknesses are. He hasn't been exposed enough to majority of analysts. From what I dug up, we found a gem with a risk of the russian factor.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad