So, how do we feel about no red line 13 years later?

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Or players losing their careers when they shatter their heels a'la Joni Pitkanen

Last NHL game the man would ever play in and one of the last games he'd ever play in. It would take him 3 years to get on the ice again and even then he played only 3 games before he retired.

And it could have been worse. As recently as 2013, there was a player named Ronny Keller in Europe who went into the boards hard and is now a paraplegic.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I agree with mostly everyone. Elimination of the no two line pass rule is one of the best, if not the best, changes we've had to the sport in the last 15 years. I also agree that the trapezoid should go. Never been a fan of it. If a goalie wants to play the puck in the corner, they should be able to.

Ginormousthumbs

Jul 7, 2013
West Side
I’d like to see them get rid of the delay of game penalty. If you see a spike in players intentionally hitting the puck out of play then bring it back.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
I agree with mostly everyone. Elimination of the no two line pass rule is one of the best, if not the best, changes we've had to the sport in the last 15 years. I also agree that the trapezoid should go. Never been a fan of it. If a goalie wants to play the puck in the corner, they should be able to.

Brodeur is retired. 100% agree.

Instigator too-either get rid of it, or always apply it, since there is always one.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
No, the icing rules stopped players from getting boarded at full speed from behind or having their legs taken out from under them by a stick resulting in broken femurs and ankles. It has nothing to do with keeping your head on a swivel. That’s more the open ice hits they are penalizing more and more.

There was a charging rule for a reason.

I want to see people crash and bang and get smoked, if I wanted non contact I'd watch soccer.

streitz

Jul 22, 2018
Players are getting bigger and faster. How long before a guy is paralyzed after a race to the puck where he gets tripped up and goes head first into the boards? Those things aren't made of foam.

We have already seen two cases in other leagues, one leaving a player paralyzed and another player dying as a result of the injuries sustained.

Who cares? They're getting paid millions of dollars to entertain. Right now hockey isn't entertaining so I don't watch it, bottom line.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
It's great, adding the red line back in would just stifle offense and create more stoppages in the game.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Getting rid of two line passing was a necessary evil. The trap in its hayday ruined way too many games. Let's not pretend like there was a ton of stickhandling/moves in the neutral zone. It was mainly angling a guy to the boards to force a turnover, rinse and repeat.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Many great rule changes came out of that lock out, this one included. Puck over the glass tops the list, for me.

As for disliking fast players who don't posses many other skills, keep in mind that you are looking at a snapshot of the game in a continuous evolution. It's not the final product.

Consider McDavid, Kucherov, Kuznetsov, Barzal, Point, Matthews, Mackinnon, etc. Who the hell is getting bored watching these guys work their way through the neutral zone???

There is a full load of players who combine absolute elite speed with some of the slickest stickhandling and passing ability you are ever going to see. As more time passes, more players will adapt in an attempt to stay competitive.

Keep calling obstruction penalties and the deadliest combination of speed, skill and creativity will win out.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Getting rid of two line passing was a necessary evil. The trap in its hayday ruined way too many games. Let's not pretend like there was a ton of stickhandling/moves in the neutral zone. It was mainly angling a guy to the boards to force a turnover, rinse and repeat.
This is a good point. When the two line pass rulee existed players didn't make pretty moves through the neutral zone, because those are high risk plays. The whole point of the trap is to generate turnovers in the neutral zone leading to odd man rushes, so coaches taught their players to make the easy, conservative play in the neutral zone. You think dump & chase is bad now? Watch a game from the DPE, clean zone entries were much more rare, and the chip & dump game in the neutral zone was king.

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
How do y'all feel about it from today's perspective?

Back in the day, I thought it would be a good thing. But recently I've started to think it has taken something out of the game. Very little stickhandling in the neutral zone now, and mostly stretch passes. Basically, there is no neutral zone now; nothing happens there.
Didn’t like it then. Still don’t.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
How do y'all feel about it from today's perspective?

Back in the day, I thought it would be a good thing. But recently I've started to think it has taken something out of the game. Very little stickhandling in the neutral zone now, and mostly stretch passes. Basically, there is no neutral zone now; nothing happens there.

and I just think about how many two line passes the oilers had called back

I think it open the game up and makes people skate

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Getting rid of the red line was kind of like getting rid of glasses for me. For a while it seemed odd without them and you even kind of miss them. Then you realize they were more trouble then their worth and are now unnecessary. And now you forget they ever existed at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad