So Fedorov is fired in the KHL, is there any chance he'll get job in the NHL?

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida
f114d4da218225cfa016f6883648308bf6c75bad8adf222035df4efb059cab64.png

He looks like a pirate.
Is that an ad on his collar?

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
The cleanest route would be for the team he starred with for so many years to bring him in, but that's not happening in Detroit, where his tenure ended in an acrimonious way. That ownership is still in place.

That leaves teams for which he had brief but positive experiences. A few years earlier, and I would have said Washington, where he played for just a few years but was very impactful with the younger Russians like Ovechkin, Semin, etc. Those guys are aging out and the Caps' Russian contingent is shrinking, though. Perhaps Carolina.

Reactions: DaveG

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
I am surprised Fedorov isn't involved in the NHL somehow. Had a great mind for the game. It could be he doesn't want to do it. Dale Hunter probably could coach in the NHL if he wanted to but he never did it outside of an interim placement in Washington I believe. He prefers the OHL. Fedorov could prefer Russia being closer to home.

Reactions: zeeto

TheAngryHank

Expert
May 28, 2008
I am surprised Fedorov isn't involved in the NHL somehow. Had a great mind for the game. It could be he doesn't want to do it. Dale Hunter probably could coach in the NHL if he wanted to but he never did it outside of an interim placement in Washington I believe. He prefers the OHL. Fedorov could prefer Russia being closer to home.
Times have changed , he defected ,guess I never thought of a Russian returning after defecting as a big deal but there was a time it was.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
The cleanest route would be for the team he starred with for so many years to bring him in, but that's not happening in Detroit, where his tenure ended in an acrimonious way. That ownership is still in place.

That leaves teams for which he had brief but positive experiences. A few years earlier, and I would have said Washington, where he played for just a few years but was very impactful with the younger Russians like Ovechkin, Semin, etc. Those guys are aging out and the Caps' Russian contingent is shrinking, though. Perhaps Carolina.
Given a choice, I think I speak for most Wings fans when I say we'd rather have Fedorov than Chris Ilitch...

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
Can't imagine that happening under Illitch ownership.
Feds has actually been getting worked back into the Detroit fold over the past like 5 years. He's shown up in more promo vids, visits, etc.

Now that Yzerman is GM and Mr. I has passed I think it could happen. Stevie has a seemingly pretty good relationship with Feds. Chris Illitch seems much more money/ business driven than his dad. The surge in merch and the potential to build this up to a number retirement (and the money that brings) could have him be open to it.

It has been 20ish years it's time to move on from the drama surrounding his exit. Bringing him back as a coach first would also be a great way to bring him full circle with fans too.

Larionov is the guy I always imagined coaching but Feds has obviously had success in the KHL. As a Wings fan I'd certainly welcome him to Detroit for a try as an assistant. I think he'd be a good match for Larkin who plays the lite version of Feds Style.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yes, though I still doubt he would get outright hired as a head coach. But as an associate, with the promise of getting the nod in the future.

Coaches are not hired into the NHL because of merit, but because of connections. Otherwise guys like Rikard Grönborg or Jukka Jalonen would've been given a chance already. A former NHLer has an easier time getting into a position to succeed, but still not hired straight to the NHL job I would have to imagine.

Ehh not necessarily. Euro style hockey is a little different than NA style and if teams have a choice between a guy who's spent his entire career in Canada/US vs a guy from Europe, its not a hard choice to make. The former will understand the systems, way of doing things a lot better having grown up in/around it.

Feds has actually been getting worked back into the Detroit fold over the past like 5 years. He's shown up in more promo vids, visits, etc.

Now that Yzerman is GM and Mr. I has passed I think it could happen. Stevie has a seemingly pretty good relationship with Feds. Chris Illitch seems much more money/ business driven than his dad. The surge in merch and the potential to build this up to a number retirement (and the money that brings) could have him be open to it.

It has been 20ish years it's time to move on from the drama surrounding his exit. Bringing him back as a coach first would also be a great way to bring him full circle with fans too.

Larionov is the guy I always imagined coaching but Feds has obviously had success in the KHL. As a Wings fan I'd certainly welcome him to Detroit for a try as an assistant. I think he'd be a good match for Larkin who plays the lite version of Feds Style.

As a Blackhawks fan I can attest to this. Ownership repaired its relationship with Chelios almost immediately after Rocky Wirtz died. I personally never had any animosity towards the guy but for years it seemed like he would never be welcomed back or have his number retired.

Reactions: DaveG

DRW895

Dec 29, 2021
Only 2 European coaches for all 107 NHL existence years. Both briefly. So, what are you talking about now?

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Can't imagine that happening under Illitch ownership.

Personally I think it has more to do with Devellano than the Ilitch family. As soon as Jimmy is no longer a part of the Wings organization I bet we see Fedorov's number retired.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad