So dumb question: Why do we have a week off?

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I don't recall ever having this long of a break between games. Other teams have games every day so it's not like it's an All Star Game I forgot about or something. So what's going on?

FireBird71

Aug 6, 2015
As part of the NHLPA agreeing to play 3 on 3 for the all star game, every team gets 5 days in a row off at some point during the season

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Probably this year only. The record after it is terrible.

Well they have actually floated the idea of having two of them moving forward. So I don't think this is going anywhere. It will be on the team and players to figure out how to come out of this better. Teams have worse records on back to back games and that hasn't changed the leagues stance on that.

The PA wants this, it really is here to stay.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Well they have actually floated the idea of having two of them moving forward. So I don't think this is going anywhere. It will be on the team and players to figure out how to come out of this better. Teams have worse records on back to back games and that hasn't changed the leagues stance on that.

The PA wants this, it really is here to stay.

The PA may not like it anymore after seeing the experiment in action.

The idea is to give guys more rest to decrease injuries but it's actually having the opposite effect.

The season length is still exactly the same, but now they're trying to squeeze 82 games in with 1 less week of actual time. It makes for more back to backs and less opportunity to re-schedule games when ice issues happen like earlier this year.

I expect the PA will agree to, or will offer to drop them in the next CBA negotiation, in exchange for a concession of some kind from the owners.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
This is a good time to push my agenda to shorten the regular season. I think you could cut 20-30 games and nobody but the owners would care.

Clare2904

LEGEND!
Oct 22, 2016
Montreal
I do believe they are going to sync the week off better next year, I.E have it done by division/conference instead of this dragged out set-up that gives some teams 4-5 games in hand.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
This is a good time to push my agenda to shorten the regular season. I think you could cut 20-30 games and nobody but the owners would care.

I can't see it ever happening because owners. But I think even knocking 6 or 7 games off the season would make a big difference and improve the quality of play.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do believe they are going to sync the week off better next year, I.E have it done by division/conference instead of this dragged out set-up that gives some teams 4-5 games in hand.

Yes they have already talked about grouping teams together. So coming out of breaks they would play against those teams.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I can't see it ever happening because owners. But I think even knocking 6 or 7 games off the season would make a big difference and improve the quality of play.

Well yeah, less games = less revenue. It will never happen. But man I'd love a 50 game regular season. More intensity. Less injuries. More weight to every game. After 50 games we already know who the good and bad teams are.

And then you'd probably see a higher quality playoff grind.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I think they should go to two bye weeks and have the pre-season shortened. I know those of us that love prospects watch the pre-season with some interest, but in most years it is too long and guys aren't using it to get in shape anymore.

Shortening the season really isn't going to happen. It is neat to talk about but hard to see happening. I think the bye week makes sense, they just need to figure it out and make some tweaks. But the players want it for a reason, the star guys in particular aren't being forced to be at an event and actually get it off.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008

I'd knock it in half. No reason to have the season drag on this long.

"but more hockey!"

Quality over quantity.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Cool, the answer is actually kind of interesting. Now I feel like I didn't waste a thread :)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would care....

BettyWhiteGlare_zps341f3c4f.gif.c035f4422a385b470abefc9ed23ff3b9.gif

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd much sooner grant the players three instances of 2 days off, rather than totally destroy their routines like this with nearly a week of no games. Really dumb implementation.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Here's an idea: move the all-star game to the end of the year, similar to the NFL's pro bowl. Hell, attach it to the award show in some way. Use that time to space the games out better with fewer back-to-backs.

Combine that with shortening the preseason and maybe 82 games could be played in a way that doesn't entirely drive the players into the ground.

Another idea, enlarge rosters by at least one. Having more guys to occasionally cycle into the lineup could work to keep more guys fresh.

Mount Suribachi

Nov 15, 2013
England
Another idea, enlarge rosters by at least one. Having more guys to occasionally cycle into the lineup could work to keep more guys fresh.

I've said it before, but I have no idea why squad rotation isn't a thing in the NHL. It's well established in soccer, a sport that has way less games, travel, intensity and physicality.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
If any of you guys have NHLtv, or a friend you can bum it off, Edmonton is a really fun to watch. Enjoyed watching their last few games. Draisaitl and McDavid work so well together.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
My brother has NHLtv but the quality doesn't compare to our cable feeds. I'd like to check out more Edmonton games but am hooked on the cable. Between FS, CBC, and NBC I get a full week of games. Enough for me at least. I think NBC is broadcasting some great matchups this season. Lots of Blackhawks, Penguins, Minni, Boston, Flyers, Sharks, Rangers, etc. I don't tire seeing these guys again and again.

I can't say I'm missing the Red Wings too much. Even with this losing season I still get that jazz of excitement before games but the break has been fine. If the only team you watch is the DRW you are missing out I swear. Watching other hockey is entertaining and it's lowered my frustration/disappointment with the Wings in certain ways.

RedWingsfan55

Jan 5, 2015
My brother has NHLtv but the quality doesn't compare to our cable feeds. I'd like to check out more Edmonton games but am hooked on the cable. Between FS, CBC, and NBC I get a full week of games. Enough for me at least. I think NBC is broadcasting some great matchups this season. Lots of Blackhawks, Penguins, Minni, Boston, Flyers, Sharks, Rangers, etc. I don't tire seeing these guys again and again.

I can't say I'm missing the Red Wings too much. Even with this losing season I still get that jazz of excitement before games but the break has been fine. If the only team you watch is the DRW you are missing out I swear. Watching other hockey is entertaining and it's lowered my frustration/disappointment with the Wings in certain ways.

I like Washington personally. They can score, hit, play defense, goaltend.

And they've now added shattenkirk.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I like Washington personally. They can score, hit, play defense, goaltend.

And they've now added shattenkirk.
Yep. Not only did they fix the few holes they had, but they kept Shats from Pittsburgh and New York. I really hope this is the year Ovechkin finally gets a Cup.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'd like to see Lundqvist win. He's propped that team up his whole career. I guess similar to Ovechkin.

But with the Stars also out, I think I'm all aboard the Wild train.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad