So do we know who our captain is yet?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
JuGWTum.gif

The captain that we need, not the one we deserve.

Edited for the other thing that I was thinking about.

Last edited:

Roadrage

Mar 25, 2010
Next door
Haven't had a captain since 20/21 season. It's like the thought is that no one is good enough to wear the "C" or something. Backlund has been wearing the "A" for the past 5 seasons, everyone prior to this season that has either worn the "C" or "A" is gone.

Perhaps their is a leadership void on this team.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Backlund is the best option and I’d love to see him retire a flame but quite frankly he deserves better and should be traded

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Sutter's narcissism, ego, and over all fear of of repeating the infamous events in LA (aka getting locked out by that leadership group) means there won't be a captain until he's fired.

If they do the right thing and send him back farm, then I'm gonna guess Andersson gets it. He's a genuine homegrown top pairing defenseman that's also signed for a while longer. And he's young enough to be part of retool/rebuild if that was the direction they wanted to go in.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
Sutter's narcissism, ego, and over all fear of of repeating the infamous events in LA (aka getting locked out by that leadership group) means there won't be a captain until he's fired.

If they do the right thing and send him back farm, then I'm gonna guess Andersson gets it. He's a genuine homegrown top pairing defenseman that's also signed for a while longer. And he's young enough to be part of retool/rebuild if that was the direction they wanted to go in.
And just so we know, who and where is that infamous LA Kings leadership group, now? What did that elite membership of free-thinkers accomplish after the infamous event?

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
And just so we know, who and where is that infamous LA Kings leadership group, now? What did that elite membership of free-thinkers accomplish after the infamous event?
They are currently in a playoff spot while Darryl Sutter and the Flames are not

And in that entire time frame, they have all of one less playoff series win than the vaunted and apparently uncriticizable Darryl Sutter & the Flames

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

You think the players are incapable of banding together against sutter if they don't have a captain?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
You guys need to take one of them "lead from the bottom" workplace training classes, where it tells you that "you don't need to be the boss to be a leader" and that's it that's the course thanks for taking 4 hours of my life

But no, seriously, whoever everyone looks to as the leader is not being acknowledged by the organization. Whoever that may be. That's morale killing too.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
No one to rally behind. Easier for someone like Dutter to divide and conquer.

Captains tend to be the bridge between the coaches and players. No, the letter doesn't grant some magical power but it gives a certain amount of authority to that person when speaking to the coaching staff about issues. And players are more likely to be comfortable speaking to the captain as opposed to the coach about a coaching issue.

Now the Flames have leaders on the team, even if they don't have a C on there jersey. It was rumored one of them went to management over Dutter's head when he was playing his childish games with Pelletier. And that was the reason he finally got to play (which subsequently led to Dutter throwing his public tantrum for being overruled).

But that leadership is diluted. It's spread out and importantly, voluntary. As opposed to the captain, whose responsibility is helping out with strife between the players and coaches.

ChrisOsullivan

Jan 20, 2022
They are currently in a playoff spot while Darryl Sutter and the Flames are not

And in that entire time frame, they have all of one less playoff series win than the vaunted and apparently uncriticizable Darryl Sutter & the Flames
Who's they? Kopitar, Doughty and Kempe?
I know Kempe, as a 20 year old during Sutter's last year in LAK, has said a few things, but Kopitar and Doughty prefer the current Oil retread coach they have now? or the Vancouver one they had prior instead of winning cups? LAK haven't won a thing since Sutter left, last year they managed to go out in round 1 after leading the series. Out of the 8 teams in the playoffs in the west this year, my dream, until extinguished, was meeting them in Round 1.
Sutter isn't without fault, but bringing up a team he lead to 2 cups, then surprisingly misses the playoffs with in 14-15, having 95 points, returning to the playoffs in 15-16 and losing to the SJ Sharks, who went to the finals, is a damn good run and something they won't mimic with their current group.

Reactions: Iggys Dome

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Haven't had a captain since 20/21 season. It's like the thought is that no one is good enough to wear the "C" or something. Backlund has been wearing the "A" for the past 5 seasons, everyone prior to this season that has either worn the "C" or "A" is gone.

Perhaps their is a leadership void on this team.
I think there is a void. I like Backlund but I don't know if he has the... je ne sais quoi for the role.

Iggys Dome

Not allowed to say the “R-Word” (rebuild)
Mar 19, 2018
Cap Space
Who's they? Kopitar, Doughty and Kempe?
I know Kempe, as a 20 year old during Sutter's last year in LAK, has said a few things, but Kopitar and Doughty prefer the current Oil retread coach they have now? or the Vancouver one they had prior instead of winning cups? LAK haven't won a thing since Sutter left, last year they managed to go out in round 1 after leading the series. Out of the 8 teams in the playoffs in the west this year, my dream, until extinguished, was meeting them in Round 1.
Sutter isn't without fault, but bringing up a team he lead to 2 cups, then surprisingly misses the playoffs with in 14-15, having 95 points, returning to the playoffs in 15-16 and losing to the SJ Sharks, who went to the finals, is a damn good run and something they won't mimic with their current group.
But haven't you heard? Sutter is a cancerous dinosaur and is the worst thing to ever happen to this franchise, and it's completely his fault for how this season has gone. Once we fire him and promote Mitch Love we're guaranteed cup champs!!!

Reactions: ChrisOsullivan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad