So did Detroit's coaches drop the ball on Janmark?

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He was selected in the 2nd round so there was something there but since he was acquired by Dallas he has been nothing short of fantastic with Dallas. He is not going to light up the scoreboard every night but his work ethic is on a different tier than most players most nights it seems . He missed all last season with a significant knee injury and so far this season he has not missed a step. To think we got him and D prospect (Mattias Bäckman) for Eric Cole is pretty insane. His two-way play is probably the best on Dallas and his tenacity with/without the puck is never an issue it seems. Plus his speed is better than advertised.

15-16 stats - 73 GP - 15g 14a - 29 points
17-18 stats - 53 GP - 15g 14a - 29 points

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
He was selected in the 2nd round so there was something there but since he was acquired by Dallas he has been nothing short of fantastic with Dallas. He is not going to light up the scoreboard every night but his work ethic is on a different tier than most players most nights it seems . He missed all last season with a significant knee injury and so far this season he has not missed a step. To think we got him and D prospect (Mattias Bäckman) for Eric Cole is pretty insane. His two-way play is probably the best on Dallas and his tenacity with/without the puck is never an issue it seems. Plus his speed is better than advertised.

Coaches never got a chance with him. It was Nill who drafted him, and Nill who brought him to Dallas. One of Nill's most underrated and best moves. Janmark is fantastic and every team would love him in their lineup, although the fact that he can score as many goals as he does is shocking considering he has almost no power behind his shot. Just a smart and very fast/good skater who scores because of his accuracy, hustle, and smart plays. He is one of those players that will rarely ever make a mistake too and is great defensively

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Wasn't there also something that Janmark was unhappy with Detroit because he felt the Wings wouldn't give him a fair shot and keep him in the AHL with Rapids Griffins ? I remember something like that coming from Wings fans at least IRC . Think he went back to Sweden instead of the AHL and Detroit also wasn't happy about that .

In general Janmark has been more than a pleasant suprised. Think everyone talk about Bäckman when the trade was made and nobody ever really said anything about Janmark and next year he suddenly made the team out of nowhere.

IRC if he didn't make the Stars he would've went back to Frölunda again but well he did make the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fixxer

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007

I like him as a player.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Wasn't there also something that Janmark was unhappy with Detroit because he felt the Wings wouldn't give him a fair shot and keep him in the AHL with Rapids Griffins ? I remember something like that coming from Wings fans at least IRC . Think he went back to Sweden instead of the AHL and Detroit also wasn't happy about that .

In general Janmark has been more than a pleasant suprised. Think everyone talk about Bäckman when the trade was made and nobody ever really said anything about Janmark and next year he suddenly made the team out of nowhere.

IRC if he didn't make the Stars he would've went back to Frölunda against but well he did make the team.

Detroit have a history of over-ripening young players in the AHL.

Remember when they resigned a completely shit Dan Cleary and sent Nyquist back to the AHL for yet another season. Same with Jarnkrok, who was also fed up and then traded.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Love Janmark but he is not our best 2 way player. That would be Faksa and likely Hanzal if he were to ever get healthy.

Also from my understanding Janmark was buried so deep he wasn't even going to get a chance in Detroit. I'm super happy with that trade because now he is a very solid 2 way middle 6 winger who could very likely push 2nd line la status next year

raymond23

Go Griffs Go
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI

IRC if he didn't make the Stars he would've went back to Frölunda again but well he did make the team.

I believe that was Jarnkrok who would only play in Detroit or head back to Sweden. Not sure about the Janmark situation. Was never happy with that trade.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I believe that was Jarnkrok who would only play in Detroit or head back to Sweden. Not sure about the Janmark situation. Was never happy with that trade.

My memory might be a bit fuzzy but i think i remember some disgruntled Detroit fans saying that Janmark wouldn't come over anyway or something like that and they weren't happy he went to Frölonda instead of the full year with Grand Rapids.

In general that was kind of a dumb trade by the Wings . A rental Erik Cole for 2 prospects and a a 2nd . Seemed like massive overpayment even if Cole hadn't ended up injured after just a handful of games. Cole did have a suprisingly good year in Dallas but that was expensive and the team wasn't exactly a contender

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Coaches don't trade players or keep them in the minors too long. That's management.

He's a decent middle 6 player. Detroit was trying to make a last push while they still had Datsyuk on the back end of his career and gave him up to acquire Erik Cole.

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Not the coaches obviously.. Managment dropped the ball big time however, everyone could see what player he would become a mile a way. If i remember correctly we traded Janmark + 2nd for cole right?

And Cole suffered a career ending injury before the play-offs so we gave up quite a bit of future for nothing in return. Very similar to the Järnkrok trade.

It's a shame really.

JAS 39 Gripen

Jun 26, 2011
Stockholm
Another great example of an (now) impotent GM that will most likely never get sacked. IF he would get sacked, however, another NHL-team would pick him up in a heart beat. It's a vicious circle that includes all of hockey, sadly

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Not the coaches obviously.. Managment dropped the ball big time however, everyone could see what player he would become a mile a way.

Well, this is just flat-out untrue. People were much more concerned about Mattias Backman and swapping the 2nd for a 3rd.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...d-15-mattias-backman-mattias-janmark.1845733/

And while the 25 year old is having a pleasantly surprising nice start to his NHL career, he currently tops out at 29 points in a season. Good for him, looks like he's going to have an NHL career, but let's not act like Holland gave up some superstar just yet

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Well, this is just flat-out untrue. People were much more concerned about Mattias Backman and swapping the 2nd for a 3rd.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...d-15-mattias-backman-mattias-janmark.1845733/

And while the 25 year old is having a pleasantly surprising nice start to his NHL career, he currently tops out at 29 points in a season. Good for him, looks like he's going to have an NHL career, but let's not act like Holland gave up some superstar just yet

No one is acting like Holland gave up a superstar, you're making the assumption that I believe so :)

People being more concerned about Bäckman is ridiculous considering he went back to Sweden and didn't want to be in AHL, basicly giving up on Detroit's development system. Janmark always had NHL upside and we gave up janmark and a 2nd for a player who played 10 games for us, Cole already had injury concerns so it didn't exactly come out of the blue.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
No one is acting like Holland gave up a superstar, you're making the assumption that I believe so :)

People being more concerned about Bäckman is ridiculous considering he went back to Sweden and didn't want to be in AHL, basicly giving up on Detroit's development system. Janmark always had NHL upside and we gave up janmark and a 2nd for a player who played 10 games for us, Cole already had injury concerns so it didn't exactly come out of the blue.
Well, people WERE more concerned about Backman.

99/100 people didn't care about Janmark. Plenty of great quotes in the trade thread. Even people trying to praise him compared him at a level to Marek Tvrdon.

To say everyone saw it coming from a mile away is just not true.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It was a terrible trade for Detroit because they traded a good NHL player for basically nothing. At the time of the trade I was just happy to be rid of Cole, so getting anything of value was a bonus. But if Detroit had known what Janmark would become they wouldn't have made the trade*. Maybe they undervalued him but it happens. I very much doubt that Dallas' management was expecting Janmark to become as good as he is either. So yes, Detroit made a mistake but it's an understandable one.

*Of course if they did believe that Janmark was going to become a solid NHLer and traded him anyway then that's just a monumental f***-up tbh

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I was kind of confused the haul that Cole got. He was a healthy scratch for games in the Series against the Ducks and pretty much everyone wanted to get rid of Cole. Randomly had ~20 ish goals in 50 games the next year but he didn't exactly play that great IRC .

The rental market in general has kind of dried up the last couple of year . The league has changed. Just giving up good future assets for maybe shortterm help for 1 run is just not very smart.

I mean i'm still kind of mad for the Russel trade 2 years ago and none of the assets have done anything just yet . Maybe Dillon Dube ( picked by the Flames with the Second Rounder ) ends up good . Kris Russel well he sucked and that was not a suprise for anyone.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Detroit have a history of over-ripening young players in the AHL.

Remember when they resigned a completely **** Dan Cleary and sent Nyquist back to the AHL for yet another season. Same with Jarnkrok, who was also fed up and then traded.

Everyone wants a broken down vet who can't skate end to end without falling down in their teams top six.

hUPHqYU.jpg

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Not the coaches obviously.. Managment dropped the ball big time however, everyone could see what player he would become a mile a way. If i remember correctly we traded Janmark + 2nd for cole right?

And Cole suffered a career ending injury before the play-offs so we gave up quite a bit of future for nothing in return. Very similar to the Järnkrok trade.

It's a shame really.

It was cole for Janmark, backman and we swapped 2nds

Lampedampe

Feb 26, 2015
Well, people WERE more concerned about Backman.

99/100 people didn't care about Janmark. Plenty of great quotes in the trade thread. Even people trying to praise him compared him at a level to Marek Tvrdon.

To say everyone saw it coming from a mile away is just not true.

Well Yeah, maybe that statement wasn't true. But anyone who watched Janmark play in shl saw his upside, that much is true and for red wings scouts I doubt his nhl success comes out of the blue. There's a reason nill was very keen on Janmark and any red wings fan knows exactly why.

And again people that were outraged about kosing Bäckman was clueless, not because of upside but he had given up on red wings.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It was cole for Janmark, backman and we swapped 2nds

We got a second rounder ( Roope Hintz ) for a third ( Vili Saarijarvi) . Giving up the Third was conditional but since Cole went out injured pretty much instantly that condition was never going to be fullfilled

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad