So Alexander Wennberg leading the league in assists..

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Think about that for a second.. Who would have imagined? :laugh:

Obviously the obliteration of Montreal helped and it's not going to last for long but we are still a decent amount of games in to the season. So good on him!

With a drafting pedigree and glimpses of good stuff last year, Will this be the year where he takes the next step?

Last edited:

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
And Anisimov is leading the league in points.

The magic of small sample sizes.

Hes a good player.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
People on the internet too lazy to read entire threads? Confirmed.

I guess I should have bolded the important part, thus I bold the important part to make it easier for you guys.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
Think about that for a second.. Who would have imagined? :laugh:

Obviously the obliteration of Montreal helped and it's not going to last for long but we are still a decent amount of games in to the season. So good on him!

With a drafting pedigree and glimpses of good stuff last year, Will this be the year where he takes the next step?

Can't believe Ottawa never tried to trade up for him! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry: If it is, Columbus is in even more cap trouble.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Been watching Wennberg a little bit since last year. Seems like he might be a diamond in the rough.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
He is as quiet as it gets, do not push the game, do not do anything fancy, just play simple simple. Even in the defense he is passive. Even if he would score 100p in a season, I still think it will be hard to put up a highlight video of him. I can not say I am a fan of his playstyle, he do not feel like a different maker at all, but if he put up the points I have to give him some credit for it. But he probably is one of the most boring and frustrated players in NHL. He seems to be a floater that can not make it happen so he rely on others.

Consider how he has progress I would not be surprise if he hits 60p this season.

Last edited:

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
He is as quiet as it gets, do not push the game, do not do anything fancy, just play simple simple. Even in the defense he is passive. Even if he would score 100p in a season, I still think it will be hard to put up a highlight video of him. I can not say I am a fan of his playstyle, he do not feel like a different maker at all, but if he put up the points I have to give him some credit for it. But he probably is one of the most boring and frustrated players in NHL. He seems to be a floater that can not make it happen so he rely on others.

Consider how he has progress I would not be surprise if he hits 60p this season.

Put him with Gaudreau please!

oilsands

dirty oil, comin 4 u
Jul 6, 2007
Halland
He got 37% of his assists in one game, last night, against a goalie that let 10 goals go by. Think about that.

And OP, you cannot criticize posters for bringing this up because your thread title is framed around Wenneberg leading the league in assists.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
Ulvvf

Of course he relies on others, he is as much of a one-dimensional playmaker as they come. He is a passer not a shooter, hence he needs linemates to do their jobs and get into position.

Shades of a young Bäckström, he'll aquire more tools with time.

Too bad Columbus didn't draft Pulju, those two would've been the new Bäckström and Ovy (light) within a couple of years.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
What Elias Lindholm should have become :cry::cry::cry:. But I'm all for trading Lindholm to a Canadian team (Except Montreal and Toronto, and if Vancouver didn't suck so much them as well) and watch him flourish haha.

By all means hopefully Vancouver would be rejoining the pack as Elias would be entering his prime. He's a player I would love to have as a "foundational piece" (as opposed to Bennings foundational guys like Dorsett and Sutter)

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
Is this the year Wennberg takes the next step? I'm not sure. Wennberg has improved steadily since he came into the league. He is a good all around player who excels at the little things. He just continuously improves a little bit so that the improvement is barely noticeable. I know they are working with him to play more selfishly and shoot more. I think if he can improve his FO win rate and learn to score more, he can become a top 30 center in the league.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Good for him! He's talented and could have a break out season imo

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Well he was a first round pick so it's not exactly like this is completely out of the blue. He was expected to be decent.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
He will be taking The next step. He's going to be moved up a division.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Tortorella is a big fan of Wennberg and called him his best forward last season. I really like Wennberg and his game. There's nothing fancy. It's just go out, do your job, do it well and good things will happen. He might be the non-flashiest playmaker in the league and there's certainly nothing wrong with that. Guys who go out and get the job done are guys you win with because they pay attention to things around them and I think that's where Wennberg really shines - he seems to have a good idea what's going on around him and always makes the safe and right play. I think every team in the league would like to have a Wennberg in their lineup.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
He got 37% of his assists in one game, last night, against a goalie that let 10 goals go by. Think about that.

And OP, you cannot criticize posters for bringing this up because your thread title is framed around Wenneberg leading the league in assists.

I don't get how that's relevant at all. Should he only be limited to 1 assist per game or what are you thinking? Why would he not continue to get points in a game he's playing well?

As for breaking out, he needs to shoot more because he can score and has a great shot but he's just such a good passer. It's hilarious that these people are saying he is one deminsional or he relies on teammates to get points bc he can't score...
Just wow

It's so crazy that a guy who has something like 55 points in his last 65 games is leading the league in assists!!! Must be a mirage because he's a bluejacket

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad