TV: Snowpiercer (TNT/Netflix)

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Ok, the first season finished this week. It's been on Netflix over here but I found out it's on TNT in the US. So far it's differed from the movie apart from a few similarities. Season 3 has already been confirmed with season 2 almost finished. They had a few days left in production until it was shutdown due to the pandemic. A teaser for season 2 revealed Sean Bean as Wilford. Gee, I wonder if he's going to die... Anyway, I quite enjoyed the first season.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
A teaser for season 2 revealed Sean Bean as Wilford. Gee, I wonder if he's going to die... Anyway, I quite enjoyed the first season.

It was already revealed in Season One.

His voice is pretty obvious in the recorded speech to board members that Melanie Cavill cuts up for her own purposes for a train-wide announcement.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Season 1 is pretty slow in the first half, but it ramps up hard and fast and the final 3 hours are very very good

season 2 started the other night and i rather enjoyed that as well.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Season 1 is pretty slow in the first half, but it ramps up hard and fast and the final 3 hours are very very good

season 2 started the other night and i rather enjoyed that as well.

I quite enjoyed it as well. Two highlights: the passengers operating in unison to gather everything Wilford wanted and Melanie taking all of Wilford's leverage away with the small bomb. Absolutely brilliant move.

Reactions: TD Charlie

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I quite enjoyed it as well. Two highlights: the passengers operating in unison to gather everything Wilford wanted and Melanie taking all of Wilford's leverage away with the small bomb. Absolutely brilliant move.

i was thinking that this season would eventually become the “good guys” of Snowpiercer somehow taking over Big Alice, with Wilford getting SP back, but now that they are essentially tethered together that’s out. Now i don’t really know where it’s going, but they do a nice job of selling the division among the ranks on Snowpiercer, so i assume that’s soon to play a major part in the conflict this season.

Glad I’m not the only one who is enjoying this show. I only started it because i loved the movie, but the TV show is a very fresh take on the already new/great concept

Reactions: TB12

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
i was thinking that this season would eventually become the “good guys” of Snowpiercer somehow taking over Big Alice, with Wilford getting SP back, but now that they are essentially tethered together that’s out. Now i don’t really know where it’s going, but they do a nice job of selling the division among the ranks on Snowpiercer, so i assume that’s soon to play a major part in the conflict this season.

Glad I’m not the only one who is enjoying this show. I only started it because i loved the movie, but the TV show is a very fresh take on the already new/great concept

Daveed Diggs has said that shooting the season took a physical and emotional toll and based on the trailer, Layton seems to be in for some rough times.

Last edited:
Reactions: TD Charlie

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Did not need to see Sean Bean's arse...

But damn, there are so many potential plotlines in the second season. Most obvious being Wilford sabotaging Melanie to stay in power, because if the Earth warms up inside like 5 years, he'd be nothing.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Did not need to see Sean Bean's arse...

But damn, there are so many potential plotlines in the second season. Most obvious being Wilford sabotaging Melanie to stay in power, because if the Earth warms up inside like 5 years, he'd be nothing.

I hope they do explore some different ones. I'm not really a fan of them just turning Melanie entirely into a protagonist when she was a fairly grey figure in Season 1, now that Wilford has turned up and seems to be the big baddie. I hope she doesn't just entirely align with Layton and become whiter than white, it will be better if it's kinda a 3-way power struggle IMO

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I hope they do explore some different ones. I'm not really a fan of them just turning Melanie entirely into a protagonist when she was a fairly grey figure in Season 1, now that Wilford has turned up and seems to be the big baddie. I hope she doesn't just entirely align with Layton and become whiter than white, it will be better if it's kinda a 3-way power struggle IMO

I think the potential warming up of the planet will shift her focus primarily into that and her daughter, based on her scientist background alone it's logical.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Sean Bean's Wilford is really an utter bastard. Great work by him. Really liking Alex as well. Icy Boy is definitely getting prepped up to take a walk outside the train, probably to the engine of Snowpiercer.

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
Sean Bean's Wilford is really an utter bastard. Great work by him. Really liking Alex as well. Icy Boy is definitely getting prepped up to take a walk outside the train, probably to the engine of Snowpiercer.
Most likely to follow Melanie, at least that's what I'm thinking.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Most likely to follow Melanie, at least that's what I'm thinking.

Takes too long to travel to the station.

And holy shit, does this season get more intense with every episode. The twist with the break men being the targets instead of attackers, Icy Bob having an actual personality AND Steven Ogg without his hair and beard! Honestly, I think he's getting way more to do acting wise in this show than in TWD.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Takes too long to travel to the station.

And holy shit, does this season get more intense with every episode. The twist with the break men being the targets instead of attackers, Icy Bob having an actual personality AND Steven Ogg without his hair and beard! Honestly, I think he's getting way more to do acting wise in this show than in TWD.

The tensions rising has been so well done throughout both season. I loved Ogg's character in TWD and he's even better here. I'm glad he's getting more air time because he's one of the best things they have going.

Surprised the show isn't getting more attention. My expectations were very low. I loved the movie but didn't think they could really do much with a full series. They've opened and closed several plots already, and have still always been able to keep a few going simultaneously, which I didn't think was feasible on a train. The acting isn't always spectacular but the story certainly is IMO.

Loved the sudden softer side from Icy Bob too. It adds another layer of complexity to Josie now as well. Do they eventually come together for something or will they end up clashing outside?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Just when you thought Wilford's manipulation abilities couldn't get any more terrifying...

Yup. I guess we see next week Wilford taking over Snowpiercer and abandoning Melanie. My guess is Icy Bob will be used to travel to Snowpiercer's engine and kill the two engineers, Wilford moves there and Alex is stuck in Big Alice.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
didn't know there was a movie until i checked the trailer last night with chris evans staring. just started watching it right now HAHA

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I watched last weeks episode last night, and will watch the most recent episode tonight perhaps. I always love the visual shots of the outside. The train spiraling up the mountain in near perfect symmetry is very cool IMO. Then add in the red candles being lit as some of the main characters look across the valley, it was a very powerful shot. All CGI but still a very beautiful visual.

I agree that Icy Bob is primed for a long walk outside to make his way to the SnowPiercer engine, but I'm not so sure he's entirely team W yet. He showed a bit of a softer side when he saw Josie getting similar skin grafts that he has, so I think it's possible he doesn't totally carry out whatever plan Wilford has for him.

On the Audrey/Kevin thing, I think it's all an act. Audrey is an actress, after all. They didn't show much detail in her weird therapy session with Kevin, so I think she got through to him that if they put on a good act together then they'll be able to carry out whatever plan Audrey has. They sort of hinted at it by having Audrey ask Kevin to repeat a line or two, as if she was an acting coach.

Predictions for the coming episodes:
Audrey gets shanked by either Wilford or Kevin (betraying her and siding with W).
Icy Robert marches his ass to the front of Snow Piercer, murders Ben and Javier in dramatic fashion. I'm thinking something like a stopped train, Melanie sprinting toward the engine from a distance. She and Ben notice each other and then Ben gets whacked
Layton needs muscle, I'm just not sure where it's gonna come from yet

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I watched last weeks episode last night, and will watch the most recent episode tonight perhaps. I always love the visual shots of the outside. The train spiraling up the mountain in near perfect symmetry is very cool IMO. Then add in the red candles being lit as some of the main characters look across the valley, it was a very powerful shot. All CGI but still a very beautiful visual.

I agree that Icy Bob is primed for a long walk outside to make his way to the SnowPiercer engine, but I'm not so sure he's entirely team W yet. He showed a bit of a softer side when he saw Josie getting similar skin grafts that he has, so I think it's possible he doesn't totally carry out whatever plan Wilford has for him.

On the Audrey/Kevin thing, I think it's all an act. Audrey is an actress, after all. They didn't show much detail in her weird therapy session with Kevin, so I think she got through to him that if they put on a good act together then they'll be able to carry out whatever plan Audrey has. They sort of hinted at it by having Audrey ask Kevin to repeat a line or two, as if she was an acting coach.

Predictions for the coming episodes:
Audrey gets shanked by either Wilford or Kevin (betraying her and siding with W).
Icy Robert marches his ass to the front of Snow Piercer, murders Ben and Javier in dramatic fashion. I'm thinking something like a stopped train, Melanie sprinting toward the engine from a distance. She and Ben notice each other and then Ben gets whacked
Layton needs muscle, I'm just not sure where it's gonna come from yet

Not saying anything yet.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I finally caught up on this last night. I'm loving season 2 so far. I agree with those thinking Icy Bob will turn on Wilford but I'm not sure about Audrey. TD Charlie's theory about her and Kevin is interesting tho. I'm sure Boki will play a part in helping Layton. Will be interesting to see if Wilford retains control into next season or if Layton gets it back in the finale.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad