Pre-Game Talk: Snow matching Torrey draft pick for draft pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Here it is, your official pre-draft talk thread. Well, it should be- I've got an interesting list below for you constant debaters out there.

Snow is separating himself from Torrey in terms of drafting because he continues to find gems like Pulock, Reinhart, Halmo, beyond his already stellar early picks...here they are in a list comparing today's Islanders versus the Dynasty teams.

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Gillies-Ritchie:) P
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

Hey wait a sec, that Torrey was pretty damn good too. Didn't even include Kallur, Jonsson, or Bourne if you count drafting from the WHA.Oh wait, he was a King. Tonelli was from there too I think. And the WHA.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Sorry, but pretty much all of these guys are a long long ways still from being as good as the Torrey pick you are comparing them to, and many of them will likely never reach those levels.

OhNoItsComeau57

Sep 15, 2006
New Orleans
original

Duanesutter12

Member of Lou's Orchestra
Jul 8, 2013
Hong Kong
Love the D Sutter/Halmo comparison but Duane could put the puck in the net a lot more than Halmo.

Here it is, your official pre-draft talk thread. Well, it should be- I've got an interesting list below for you constant debaters out there.

Snow is separating himself from Torrey in terms of drafting because he continues to find gems like Pulock, Reinhart, Halmo, beyond his already stellar early picks...here they are in a list comparing today's Islanders versus the Dynasty teams.

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

Hey wait a sec, that Torrey was pretty damn good too. Didn't even include Kallur, Jonsson, or Bourne if you count drafting from the WHA.Oh wait, he was a King. Tonelli was from there too I think. And the WHA.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
This, even as an ill-timed April fool's joke, is depressing.

Would love to see the players with the number of goals, points, playoff wins and cups - at the same age.

But this is just a joke, right bluechip?

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

Interesting comparisons, but the rubber has got to meet the road. I've often spoken in Snow's defense, and I'd even say it's speculative - interesting, though.

Drafting isn't our problem - player development and investment in such is. Insulating projected Shanahan-type forwards so they don't become Matt Cooke, Jr. or pre-Lucic-esque power forwards for other clubs (pickin' on Nino and Bertuzzi 'cos I can) is our problem. We have a GM that tries and fails, due to finances.

I don't worry about who we pick - just what happens after we pick them.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

Funny thread. Not one of Snow's draft picks is close to Torrey's counterparts. Tavares offensively is Trottier's equal but doesn't come close to Trotts all around game.

In fairness to Garth, Torrey benefitted from Devallano, Ingarfield and Saraceno.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

Even the most avid Koolaid drinkers wont agree with this. Literally not one of Snow's picks that you compared to Torrey's is better. not one. You're not really comparing Okposo to Bossy, or Strome to Lafontaine, or De Haan to Persson, Martin to Nystrom, Ritchie to Gillies?! Seriously.

Even Tavares isn't on Trottier's level. Trottier is the best forward (all around) to lace up for the Isles. If Tavares's career ends up as successful as Trottier's I think everybody around here would be estatic.

:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

12Dog

Feb 14, 2013
Funny thread. Not one of Snow's draft picks is close to Torrey's counterparts. Tavares offensively is Trottier's equal but doesn't come close to Trotts all around game.

In fairness to Garth, Torrey benefitted from Devallano, Ingarfield and Saraceno.

Torrey also drafted older players, look at his results when the rules changed, picking 18 year olds has proved to be a much different ball game for everybody.

giddy up*

Harris-Bailey
Potvin-Hamonic
Nystrom-Martin
Bossy-Okposo*
Trottier-Tavares
Lafontaine-Strome
B.Sutter-Nelson
Flatley-Lee
D.Sutter-Halmo
Persson-de Haan

What. The. Actual. ****.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad