SNL hockey Interview skit

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
Guess I'm an exception. Haven't watched SNL in years. Just stopped finding most of it very funny, and I guess a lot more folks feel that way now based on what I hear.

But this bit did give me a chuckle. :nod:

Still, I have no plans to watch SNL in the future.

ronthemailman

Oct 23, 2016
Las Vegas
Guess I'm an exception. Haven't watched SNL in years. Just stopped finding most of it very funny, and I guess a lot more folks feel that way now based on what I hear.

But this bit did give me a chuckle. :nod:

Still, I have no plans to watch SNL in the future.
Saw interview on USA Today site...also haven't watched SNL for probably 25 years

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
His part on the black hockey fan is so true back in the "traditional" hockey markets. I went to a Flyers game a few years ago in Philly and the only non-whites I saw in the 18,000 fans were a handful of Asians who looked like they were out with coworkers. There were plenty of blacks and other minorities in the building, but they were all workers. I have been a regular at games in San Jose, Anaheim, Vancouver and now Denver and I had never seen such a lack of anything but whites as the game there and what I saw at an Islanders game in Brooklyn.

Elvis P

WNBA fan since 1997
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
The average 2017 NHL playoff game was watched by less than 830K Americans so I have no problem with this humor. I just wish any Americans watched hockey.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Nevada Jones

I like hockey.
Jun 28, 2017
Somewhere in Oregon.
I've been to only one VGK home game and several practices, but I did notice a handful of Hispanics each time, and I think that's excellent.

At least some VGK home games I know are radio broadcast in Spanish, and it's a great idea to appeal to this demographic as it's a significant percentage of residents in the valley.

¡Ir Caballeros Ir!

(Pathetic online translation of "Go Knights Go!" Apologies if I've butchered it.)

Reactions: hangman005

ronthemailman

Oct 23, 2016
Las Vegas
As a mailman, I've taken a couple of my black buddies who previously lived in Detroit and went to the Wings game and have seen lots of black and Hispanic fans at Golden Knights games...regardless of color or race, just get someone to watch a game live and they'll be hooked!!

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
As a mailman, I've taken a couple of my black buddies who previously lived in Detroit and went to the Wings game and have seen lots of black and Hispanic fans at Golden Knights games...regardless of color or race, just get someone to watch a game live and they'll be hooked!!

The crowds at the games I've been to have had a good representation of ethnicities. This makes me very happy, not from a warm bodies in seats perspective, but because I would love to see this stigma of hockey as a white sport (as portrayed in the skit) end once and for all.

Bart9349

Jul 4, 2016
I felt bad for Calvin Pickard when he got traded by VGK. That said, Malcolm Subban has made hockey more exciting for a couple black Las Vegas workers I know. They were initially shocked to hear that Subban (or any goalie) can do splits on ice despite being at least 6' tall. They were totally blown away when I told them that Subban is a Canadian of Caribbean and African descent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad