News Article: SNider- Flyers can compete for Cup next year...

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Just when I thought it was safe to come into the water again, didn't that Jaws music cue up
Snider thinks the Flyers can compete for a Cup next year.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports...er__Flyers_can_compete_for_Cup_next_year.html

Last week Ron Hextall gave some very good insightful thoughts on going forward, what he felt was needed and he wants to build a contender the right way, preaching patience. He even mentioned how disappointed he was in the leadership group (which he said was 5 or 6 players) and that changes would be made.

Well, i guess Ed Snider caught wind of that and had some thoughts of his own.
After reading this and knowing (and following Ed's mantics for the last 40 years) how Ed thinks, if he veteos Hexy's plans to build the right way, if Hexy will bolt.

One of my coworkers, a college intern who is hockey fan laughed and warned me about this article : The headline is bad enough but when you read Snider's comments, it's winceable. How a smart businessman whose made millions still doesn't understand the biggest fundamental in his own business.

And after an article I read over the weekend, that pointed out how bad Berube is, which came after HExy's interview, I thought Hexy was giving clues as to the changes that had to be made. The article had several examples , even citing a heated discussion between him and Mason that ended with Mason storming onto the bus and slamming his gear bag, that a young D, Gusstaffson, was so disgusted by how badly Berube treated him he went to the KHL.

But Ed thinks they can win with this team...His
thought process is so pathetic it's hilarous. The more you read, the funnier it gets because he actually believe it. That patience isn't needed, why do that when you can trade for a veteran. That if you get into the playoffs, anything can happen, that you can win a Cup, and then cites Ottawa as an example.

SO Hexy's long term vision vs Ed's short term thinking
"I mean, for us to give up now and say we're not a playoff team and we've got to be patient and all that kind of thing, sends the wrong message, I think. To the guys who are here, to our fans, to everybody."

When the author points out that Hexy's long range vision, which he spoke of when he was hired, is to build a team that can compete for years, Ed didn't see it that way pointing out how close they came in 2010, that all you need is a hot goalie. etc. I can't help wonder why Hextall took the job, Snider won't change. I wonder if push comes to shove, HExy leaves. He thinks they can win a cup, without many changes, next year. Same old story...for the last 40...sigh So what about being patient, building team the right way which takes a few years.

"We've got to make sure our message gets through properly. Patience is great with the kids. But patience isn't great with the team we have on the ice."

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
RE: Thread Title

Which league?

Hextall should check into the job that will soon be open in San Jose.

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
tumblr_inline_mps9z3Joai1qz4rgp.gif

Quattro

Aug 5, 2005
1. LOL @ the Flyers
2. Why is this on the Kings board?
3. Hextall's decision to leave the Kings and go to Philly makes me question his judgement. Is there anybody other than Hexy who didn't see this coming?
4. LOL @ the Flyers

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yes, I'm sure Andrew MacDonald and the rest of the inept Flyers' defense will lead them to a Cup Final appearance. A Calder Cup. If they're lucky.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I can see the flyers being a bubble team next year.
If it weren't for such a crapy start this year they would have

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Ed Snider is 82 years old. He may not have time to do it the right way.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
If everything goes right, they are a borderline playoff team. As the Kings proved, if you can get in you can win, so technically he's not wrong IMO. With that said, good luck with that...

Minor Boarding

Nov 30, 2011
Corleone
While I do agree that Sneider is an egoistic, selfcentring idiot as far as owners go I still don't think there are many Kings fans here that care about either the Flyers or their inept ownership\management.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It's kind of cool to keep tabs on Hexy and see what he has to deal with. The guy was great on the management end for us. He had to see this coming eventually, it will be interesting to see what he does.

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
I have had dinner with Ed Snider in the early 90's a bunch of times. He is intelligent and very smart.

Unfortunately, unlike his business pursuits, his hockey IQ is still in 1974.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I think this topic is fine since Hexy has such strong ties to both teams. I think Snider is still worried about dying before he gets another Cup. I thought the same thing 4 years ago. Too bad the fans have to suffer and I wonder if Hexy will stick around if he can't freely manage the team like he wants to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad