SMU gear vs. Normal stuff

MattyChinch

Dec 29, 2010
Hey all, I used to play hockey back when I was 16. Now I'm 20 and I'm looking to slowly get back to skating and shooting pucks around at an outdoor rink just down the street from my house.

Anywho, I just wanted to know the differences/comparisons between normal gear like, for example, Bauer Vapor x60s or Easton SE17s etc versus SMU gear like the stuff that places such as Source for Sports sell.

Reason I ask is I recently bought a pair of Easton Stealth 777 skates and an Easton Synergy 333 stick and wanted to know how they compare to other skates and sticks. I wasn't intending to buy the best stuff right away but after a while I do plan on upgrading my stick, I just needed a quick cheapy to get back into the groove.

Anyways, would just love some comparisons and also, if possible, what are some Canadian stores that sell the best quality sticks?

Thanks guys!

Also, how is Easton overall? Back when I played I used Mission stuff but I outgrew all that stuff and I hear now that Mission is only making roller hockey gear. I just like the way Easton looks and plan on being an Easton guy after the Easton skates fit like a slipper. :P

MattyChinch

Dec 29, 2010
just gonna bump this and add something.

Where can I buy a good quality helmet with a visor at a reasonable price in Canada? Canadian Tire possible? If not there is a source for sports here but I assume they would be more expensive.

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
gear like x60 are top of the line. not sure the exact comparison but stealth 777, etc are lower to mid range. as for easton stuff, they're great but when it comes to sticks i've been disappointed with durability. their new stuff might be more durable, but i've already switched to bauer and been happy with it. as for canadian stores that carry good equipment, i would say cyclone or source for sports (higher end stuff), and sportchek sometimes have deal on certain things. if you're looking for helmet, sportcheck have rbk 6k for $70 right now but you'll have to match it with a visor. good one will run you close to the cost of the helmet.

if i can do it all over again, i would go:

highend
stick and skates

mid or whatever comfortable (but usually comfortable means highend)
gloves and helmet

low
everything else

after going cheap, then going mid, then high cost a lot more than if i were to go high on certain equipment in the 1st place.

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
Not impressed with pretty much all the easton stuff i've bought. My stick bag started falling apart immediately after i bought it, and would have been useless after a month without the repairs i gave it. I've got easton skates too, and they got soft awfully quick, and the eyelets started popping out after only only 6 months or so. I'm only on the ice about two to three hours a week too.

frito

Jan 27, 2007
Cincinnati
Not impressed with pretty much all the easton stuff i've bought. My stick bag started falling apart immediately after i bought it, and would have been useless after a month without the repairs i gave it. I've got easton skates too, and they got soft awfully quick, and the eyelets started popping out after only only 6 months or so. I'm only on the ice about two to three hours a week too.

Agree on the Easton. The general consensus around here is that their quality has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad