Seravalli: "Smoke" recently with Kerfoot and the Canucks

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Congratulations. Let's lock this thread up. The Canucks are not paying for Kerfoot full stop.

They should give a 4th or 5th for Kerfoot and then retain 50%, flip him to Colorado/someone else for a higher pick.

win-win tbh.

Leafs can waive him and be cap compliant. They won't pay to get rid of him, have no need to. Vancouver could logically get something out of paying for Kerfoot - by flipping him elsewhere.

I'm not saying this is the most likely set of moves to occur, but if they occur, I bet Vancouver is giving an asset and parlaying the player into a better one.

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
If the Leafs were to add a pick I could see Kerfoot as being moveable. He’s just not worth his cap hit and while he’s a decent player he’s ideally on the fourth line.
No team is going to give up anything at his current salary.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
If the Leafs were to add a pick I could see Kerfoot as being moveable. He’s just not worth his cap hit and why he’s a decent player he’s ideally on the fourth line.
Why would the Leafs give a draft pick to get rid of an expiring contract they don't need to drop? They can just bury $1m of his cap hit in the minors if they need to clear space that bad

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
Why would the Leafs give a draft pick to get rid of an expiring contract they don't need to drop? They can just bury $1m of his cap hit in the minors if they need to clear space that bad
Yup, then hes also eligible to come back for the playoffs on the fourth line or in case of injury. It makes less sense to give something up to get rid of him from a business point of view.

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
If the Leafs were to add a pick I could see Kerfoot as being moveable. He’s just not worth his cap hit and while he’s a decent player he’s ideally on the fourth line.

They have no reason to give up a pick, hes a pending UFA and if he clears waivers they have the space to activate Murray.

Vancouver (or another team) could actually take him, flip him at 50% retained.

Hell the Leafs could move him at 50% retained themselves and get a pick.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Because clearing the whole cap hit gives them the ability to make more moves.
If they want to clear only $1 million then they should absolutely put him in the minors as he will cost a pick to move to another team.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009

yup

well they'd need to do it with 2 players i think but waiving and burying is always an option.

dubas said time is on their side and this is what he meant... leafs aren't bound by the trade deadline to fix this... only bound by the end of the season and if an injury happens then the problem magically fixes itself

GoLeafsGo96

Dec 26, 2010
Kerfoot options:

- Move him to a team for a pick.

- Retain 40-50% on his deal and move him for a pick - clearing the space they need to activate Murray. If they aren't going to use the excess cap space (3.5 from AK - what they need to clear for Murray) on another add,

- Waive him, have the space for Murray if he clears or is claimed, if he clears, can bring him back in the playoffs.

Under no situation would they have to attach anything to him to move him.

Recipe Unlimited

Sep 1, 2019
1.125 + 0.840 (ZAR) + 2.77 (Leafs cap space) = 4.735 mill

The Leafs need 4.687 to activate Murray

The Leafs also don’t need to pay to dump him
This would have the Leafs with 11 forwards on the roster.

If anything they'd waive Holl and send him to the minors.

But more realistically they will trade kerfoot or Engvall for future considerations or give a 5th rounder or something as a sweetener.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Nobody cares what he did last season. He has 26 points this year, the Leafs just loaded up and have no room for him. They have to dump him get Murray back on the roster.

Canucks certainly aren't taking him because they want him, they are doing it to gain picks. That won't be free.

Why would the Leafs give up picks to move Kerfoot? FIrstly, he has value. Second, at absolute worst case scenario, they can just waive him, for free, and be cap complaint. Just such an ignorant post.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
They should give a 4th or 5th for Kerfoot and then retain 50%, flip him to Colorado/someone else for a higher pick.

win-win tbh.

Leafs can waive him and be cap compliant. They won't pay to get rid of him, have no need to. Vancouver could logically get something out of paying for Kerfoot - by flipping him elsewhere.

I'm not saying this is the most likely set of moves to occur, but if they occur, I bet Vancouver is giving an asset and parlaying the player into a better one.

Exactly if dadonov had a market for it event at 50%, for sure they will have a market for kerfoot

A 3rd pick for a 50% retain kerfoot is clearly possible

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nobody cares what he did last season. He has 26 points this year, the Leafs just loaded up and have no room for him. They have to dump him get Murray back on the roster.

Canucks certainly aren't taking him because they want him, they are doing it to gain picks. That won't be free.
Agreed. If the Leafs want to move his full salary they need to attach a pick as he’s a cap dump at his current cap hit. If they want to retain salary and move him or put him in the minors and save $1 million then those are options but obviously part of his cap hit remains and reduces the flexibility to make other deals.
No one is taking him at full salary unless a pick is attached.

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
Agreed. If the Leafs want to move his full salary they need to attach a pick as he’s a cap dump at his current cap hit. If they want to retain salary and move him or put him in the minors and save $1 million then those are options but obviously part of his cap hit remains and reduces the flexibility to make other deals.
No one is taking him at full salary unless a pick is attached.
And to give away a pick for a cap hit that become irrelevant in 5 weeks is asinine

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Why would the Leafs give up picks to move Kerfoot? FIrstly, he has value. Second, at absolute worst case scenario, they can just waive him, for free, and be cap complaint. Just such an ignorant post.
Ask yourself this: Why would the Canucks take him without getting an asset? They have absolutely no use whatsoever for him on an expiring deal. Nobody is going to help the leafs out. This is not ignorant, it's common sense.

Reactions: jd22

GrizzGreen

Oct 16, 2017
Laguna
He's not low on the Canucks depth chart this year, and they can pay 1.5-2 next year if they want to resign him which is fair value imo.

Lets not knee jerk too hard, now.

Drij

Mar 5, 2007
Seems likely the Leafs will play the Lightening in the 1st round based on the standings at this point and thell really need to add defensive toughness and depth in order to stay up to the pace of Tampa if they hope to make the series interesting this time a round...
The series will still come down to the leaf's goaltending.

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
see the post above yours? Leafs will be cap compliant if they just waive him. No need to add any asset to him in order to dump him. Also he scored 50 points last year and is pretty consistently around 35 - 40 (pace). Don't see how that's ideally a 4th line player?

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
see the post above yours? Leafs will be cap compliant if they just waive him. No need to add any asset to him in order to dump him. Also he scored 50 points last year and is pretty consistently around 35 - 40 (pace). Don't see how that's ideally a 4th line player?
Yes. I addressed the post above me. If the Leafs want to move the full cap they need to attach a pick. I agree that they can become cap compliant without doing that but if they want to clear the full cap to make more moves then they will need to include a pick.

He's not low on the Canucks depth chart this year, and they can pay 1.5-2 next year if they want to resign him which is fair value imo.

Lets not knee jerk too hard, now.
We are tanking. We have no need of an overpaid winger. And can use the cap space to acquire picks. We would also have no need to re-sign him as he’s not really a fit longer term.
If Kerfoot could be moved at full cap without attaching a pick then that move would probably already have been made.
Now speaking of knee jerking. Lol.

Last edited:

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Yes. I addressed the post above me. If the Leafs want to move the full cap they need to attach a pick.

We are tanking. We have no need of an overpaid winger. And can use the cap space to acquire picks.
Agreed about you not knee jerking though.
not apples to apples but considering that Edmonton didn't have to attach an asset to Puljujärvi (who make 3 mil) to move him out with how he's played this year, I doubt the Leafs have to attach an asset to Kerfoot to move him.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Ask yourself this: Why would the Canucks take him without getting an asset? They have absolutely no use whatsoever for him on an expiring deal. Nobody is going to help the leafs out. This is not ignorant, it's common sense.

They could be interested in him? That's much more likely than the Leafs giving up picks for absolutely no reason, which you still haven't given an explanation for. Nobody needs to help the Leafs out. I don't think you understand the situation. They can waive Kerfoot. If he gets claimed, great. If he doesn't, he can be assigned to the Marlies and the Leafs have the requisite cap space to ice their roster. So why do they need to attach picks?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad