Waived: Smith on waivers (cleared)

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
Can a playoff team pick smith up and play him in he post season? If so I definitely could see someone picking him up.

My question as well. I could see him being waived simply as a 'good job' with the Leafs so far so go take a chance at winning somewhere. No future here so if he can be claimed I hope he is and I hope he helps a team.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Can a playoff team pick smith up and play him in he post season? If so I definitely could see someone picking him up.

I don't think so. If a team makes a trade for a player now, that player won't be able to dress in the playoffs. Why would a waiver claim be any different?

I suspect this move is being done to avoid having a full roster once guys start coming back from injuries. That way, they won't have to send down the young guys who were emergency call-ups. It looks like Loophole Lou has struck again.

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Bit surprised to be honest. Thought he would be a useless throw in the Reimer trade but for the games I watched he seemed have a motor and stood out on the 4th line the most.

What did I miss? Who's back from injury?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Smith has been a solid 4th liner, but nothing to really write home about.

I doubt he gets claimed or anything, but I've been known to be wrong.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
That's weird, I thought he was an emergency callup. It was reported he was Calder Cup eligible and I don't recall him being 1 of the 3 regular ones we used but maybe he was.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Anyone have a time line on the guys like Holland, Komarov, Soshnikov, and Froese?

Getting them back would be an improvement for the tank over Brown, Nylander, Hyman etc.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
I liked Smith actually, felt he played a professional style of game, wasn't the most skilled guy but always worked hard and did his job.

Obviously it makes sense as he'll move on after this year but hopefully he passes through and can go play with the Marlies for the push.

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Nice benefit of having presumably Brandon Pridham on our management team, who knows the whole CBA.

The Leafs can waive Smith but still have Brown up on emergency :).

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
That's weird, I thought he was an emergency callup. It was reported he was Calder Cup eligible and I don't recall him being 1 of the 3 regular ones we used but maybe he was.
I'm fairly certain you still need to go through waivers after an emergency call up. Not fair to the player if you keep him in the AHL just to be an emergency guy.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Anyone have a time line on the guys like Holland, Komarov, Soshnikov, and Froese?

Getting them back would be an improvement for the tank over Brown, Nylander, Hyman etc.

Not going to lie, I completely forgot about Froese.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I thought that Froese was done for the year. He made a tweet suggesting that he was and then it was deleted shortly after.

My guess is one of the other guys is ready for tomorrow's game vs. Buffalo and they really want to keep Brown, ***** & Valiev up with the team. (not that Valiev was an option to be sent down)

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
He played well for us, but we have too many guys who can fill that role and either have more tenure in the organization, are younger, or have contract security.

I wish him well wherever he signs next year (seeing as he probably won't be up again this year).

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I'm fairly certain you still need to go through waivers after an emergency call up. Not fair to the player if you keep him in the AHL just to be an emergency guy.

He's still young. He's not waiver eligible anyway. Guys like Percy/Leivo will be waiver legible starting next year, and Connor Brown is a whole year younger so...

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
He's still young. He's not waiver eligible anyway. Guys like Percy/Leivo will be waiver legible starting next year, and Connor Brown is a whole year younger so...

are you sure you're talking about the same 27 year old Ben Smith that was just put on waivers that we are talking about?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad