Rumor: Smid could be moved before deadline

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I don't buy it. Anyone and everyone is available....but Smid is Burke player inside and out. I can't see him traded unless it's for an overpayment

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I would've believed any other player's name, but this makes no sense. Smid is one of the few guys with truculence!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Not opposed to this in theory. Smid doesn't seem like the type of player to complain but I doubt he wants to be overtake Bouwmeester for the most regular season games played without a playoff game.

Depends on the return obviously. It would be hilarious if Burke gets more for Smid though.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I don't know about this, he is so damn steady.
He can play up and down the D-pairings, and brings that grit that only Gio really brings night in/out.

I just don't see why Calgary would trade him... I mean, I know they got him for some spare parts at the end of the day; but he does exactly what this team needs.

On the other hand, wouldn't it be magical if Edmonton traded Smid for some spare parts, then Calgary promptly traded Smid for Wilson at the deadline. That'd be magical.

TheDebaser

May 1, 2013
The thing about trades is that it always depends on the return. I'm not opposed to this, but I really like Smid, he just seems like a really nice person.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
What would interest you guys from the Jets? Didn't look like it cost much to get him, decent goalie prospect and .5 AHL PPG center.

We're flush in center prospects, I could see us giving up C Eric O'Dell for him (PPG in the AHL). He needs waivers next year. So do Redmond and Postma, both RHD. Redmond is more all around, Postma is more offensive.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
With our goaltending situation, I think its wise to refrain from trading any of our defensemen. Hell, I would be OK with extending Butler given that he can log 15-20 minutes if asked of him.

May 27, 2012
Earth
With our goaltending situation, I think its wise to refrain from trading any of our defensemen. Hell, I would be OK with extending Butler given that he can log 15-20 minutes if asked of him.

I don't understand the hate for Butler. He is an effective player, sure he can sketchy here and there but he is a serviceable dman. Great shot blocker as well.

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
I wouldnt be opposed as long as the return is decent.

Maybe we can give one of our younger guys a chance.. (wotherspoon or billins)

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
It would most likely take a first round pick to acquire him IMO. We robbed the oilers in that deal.

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I'm not sure how I feel about moving Smid. He's not really that physical but he is a helluva shot blocker. He's sixth on TOI/G, so he's not a top-4 guy here, but he's also a lot stronger along the boards than everyone not named Giordano.

I guess it would depend on:

a) Is the return better than what we gave up to the Oilers?
b) What kind of returns (especially on defense) are Cammy and Stempniak getting on trade deadline?

Keep him or trade him, I think I'm okay either way. That said, I don't see him being a major part of this team now or long term. Just a good guy to have on your PK and bottom pairing, nothing more.

dcsportsfan85

Nov 9, 2013
Caley on the trade forum said Gormely is credible.

I wouldn't put much stock into this rumor. Chuck Gormley is CSN Washington's beat reporter for the Capitals and does a decent job reporting the basics, but he doesn't know what he's talking about regarding the Capitals trade rumors let alone the entire NHL's trade rumors.

I think he just really wants the Capitals to make a move for Smid (he wrote an article earlier this year about how the Caps should trade with EDM for Smid). I can't really blame him I'd love to see Smid in a Caps sweater and completely agree that he'd be a great fit on the Caps blueline that is lacking in the "toughness/physicality" department (I don't count John Erskine).

That was a great trade by Burke I don't think CGY had to give up much in terms of their future to acquire him. I was mad at the time McPhee didn't make a play for him.

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
Everyone on Calgary is available if the price is right.

But you could say that about any player.

Smid is a bottom d-man on a contender.

If someone wants to overpay, you take it.

We gave up virtually nothing to get him.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Not that surprising to be honest, I think the emergence of Russell which has pushed down Wideman as now filled that veteran role on the 3rd pairing Burke wants and I think it is easier to move Smid than Wideman. To bad tho as I have really liked Smid's game, he has been what Feaster wanted SOB to be.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Not that surprising to be honest, I think the emergence of Russell which has pushed down Wideman as now filled that veteran role on the 3rd pairing Burke wants and I think it is easier to move Smid than Wideman. To bad tho as I have really liked Smid's game, he has been what Feaster wanted SOB to be.

IMO it makes more sense to move Wideman than Smid. Russell and Gio can fill the gaps that Wideman leaving would create, but we don't have many big bodies on our blueline like Smid. Wideman could probably fetch a better return too I think.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
IMO it makes more sense to move Wideman than Smid. Russell and Gio can fill the gaps that Wideman leaving would create, but we don't have many big bodies on our blueline like Smid. Wideman could probably fetch a better return too I think.

It depends, Smid has no NTC unlike Wideman, Smid is 2 million cheaper, and I also think it is also less likely that Smid falls off enough to make him vastly overpaid unlike Wideman, I also think more teams are looking for veteran physical defensive 4/5 D men than 3/4 veteran offensive defensivemen.

I would prefer Smid to stay over Wideman but I can see a better market (atleast an easier one) for moving Smid over Wideman.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010

Yeah I agree. Brodie and Russel are both offensive D-men, as is Giordano. Smid is one of a kind on our blueline and therefore his loss is more significant. Losing Wideman loses that sweet hip check, a big shot and a decent top 4 two-way game, but he is more redundant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad