Smid already doing Oilers Alumni work

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Kind of odd but it shows you how much he loved Edmonton.

There is an Oilers Alumni game in Slave Lake this September and he will be joining the team including guys like Mcsorley, R. Brown, C. Joseph, M. Napier, M. Kruchelniski and J. Gage.

Don't know if this is thread worthy, but I found it kind of interesting.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Yeah but Rob Brown never played for the Oilers either so it's just a game of "guys that used to play hockey".

Oil Gauge

5+14+6+1=97
Apr 9, 2009
Smid loves edmonton, still lives here. Still trains with Steve Serdachny in the summers.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Yeah but Rob Brown never played for the Oilers either so it's just a game of "guys that used to play hockey".

True. The weirdest part is a current Player under contract with our biggest rivals still representing his former team. It will be nice to see him in blue and orange again. If anyone needs tickets, shoot me a PM.

Still DRAI

Jun 15, 2013
I'm still somewhat convinced that we traded Smid to Calgary as a favor to him, to allow him to stay in Alberta.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i thought we traded smid to the flames because his advanced stats showed he made everyone he played with worse

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
ive met smid personally a few times, he is a great dude. for the record.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'd take Smid over Ference any day.

While I do miss Smid in some ways, Ference is still the better D-man. I think a lot of posters let their hatred for the era that was issued forth when Ference and Eakins signed on, blind them to the fact that he's actually a decent bottom pairing D-man. Naturally the Oilers have him playing 1st or 2nd pairing most nights thus making him look a lot worse then he actually is.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
Oooooo Cujo is going to be there? How do I go???

Lol. If you are a fan id stay away. Dont pop the bubble imaginary personality you THINK he has. Ive met him a few times. Luckily i wasnt shocked because there was always a me side to him that was pretty obvious. Now if i see him i just watch him be a d*** to others. McSorley is class, as is RBrown, krusher. Lol Napier. Jeeze. Is napier still the head of the alum? Youd think theyd find a guy who didnt think he was gods gift. Lol napier.

I am sure they will add others but McSorley is a gem and i dont know how much longer his back will be able to do this. I always love seeing McSorley.

McSorley reminds me of some of the non-jealous old-timers, most of the time if you catch him at the rink he is happy to chat. Ive bumped into him when he was in a hurry in public out on the town and he is still classy and i am courteous about not taking up his time.
If Trotts is there...Trotts is there for the money and he is a a crabby old man jealous of the new pay scales. Its a shame. Talk to johnny bower, lanny, coffey, bossy, or guys like orr, and lemieux (that only collected his money from owning the team as he for years deferred his salary...yet the media labled him as unpassionate about his sport while he played for free with a back so bad he couldnt bend over to tie his laces.) and those guys despite likely would be earning 150 million in their careers today...dont ever bring up money. Trotts seems to talk about money alot.
Gage is a really good dude too. I regret never having anything for him to sign. Hes a good guy to just throw memories at, if you watched him. Mind you its hard to find anything decent of Gage...for him to sign.

I really want to see and ALL 90s team alumni game with weight guerin arnott smyth niinimaa hammer bobo....i guess cujo can be there...lowe, gelinas, kovlenko lol, murphy, Randford...and beranek and ciger if i can dream. The only way i can stand Cujo is if people point out he doesnt have a cup ring. So how was Detroit for you?

Last edited:

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
ive met smid personally a few times, he is a great dude. for the record.

He reminds me of jason smith and struds. Struds LOVES to talk...Jason smith actually invited me to talk to him lol. His kid dropped their shoe when he was carrying her and i didnt even know it was him but i saw the shoe fall and he was in a hurry it seemed and didnt notice. I ran back and grabbed the show and ran over and was shocked to see it was jason smith. He said thanks and i must have had a look on my face that i wanted to talk but didnt want to interrupt. As i turned away hes like " i thought you were going to chat with me for a bit...are you not an oilers fan?" lol. So we chatted for a bit and walked together, it was kind of cool. His wife was off shopping and he was cool with a chat with a fan. The big thing i noticed was he got phone calls while we were talkking and didnt answer but said if its his wife he has to go. Lol. Talked for fifteen or twenty. It was cool.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Ference sucks so bad I want Smid back

Smid sucks and I'm glad we have Ference. Seriously, what the hell impressed you guys from Smid. He blocked shots? you know what that means; he didn't do much else.

Smid, schmeed (in your best New York Jewish accent)

Jun 22, 2009
Smid sucks and I'm glad we have Ference. Seriously, what the hell impressed you guys from Smid. He blocked shots? you know what that means; he didn't do much else.

Smid, schmeed (in your best New York Jewish accent)

I miss Smid because he had balls. Despite all the "heart" Ferrence showed in Boston, without Lucic Chara and Thornton behind him, he definitely dosent play the same. Didn't defend his teammates at all like i thought he would. Smid fought some big tough guys for the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad