Pre-Game Talk: Slugs @ Mike Card

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm cautiously optimistic, I think Peters thrives when he's "the guy", as evidence by his decent stats put up in his, what, 5 straight starts last year? I think coming right up and starting a game is the best thing for his confidence, I think he'll play pretty well.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Last time Peters faced the Slugs he gave up 4 goals in 29 minutes. Gonna be a long night if he does in fact start. It actually could get ugly. I hope he proves me wrong, but I just don't trust him when he's in net.

The last time Peters faced Buffalo was March of 2010, and it was the second half of a B2B after he came in relief and won against Pittsburgh.

Last year, Peters was awful in his first 2 starts in December and January. Then when he had a chance to play a few games in a row in February he went 2-1-2 with a 1.56 GAA. I think that's more applicable than a single game from March 2010.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Maybe because of this tweet (before Ellis showed up).

Could have just been late, but he is indeed sick and Peters is going.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip
Ellis just said still feels sick. Peters to start.

Still absolutely ridiculous that this board always assumes the worst. "WELL GUYS, that's it, season is over. Let's sell off anyone with any value and look to next year!"

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Still absolutely ridiculous that this board always assumes the worst. "WELL GUYS, that's it, season is over. Let's sell off anyone with any value and look to next year!"

While I agree that's true (and there are some of those comments in this thread), in this case, it's not really much of a leap to assume Peters is starting when Mike Smith tweet's he's in the "starters crease". That's usually been a definitive indicator of who gets the start.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006

I hear your frustration, but please don't lump me in with Beardy.

Beardy*

We just lost Cam for 6-8 weeks, and our backup wasn't even skating during the pre-game for the very next game.

If we had to start Peters at all regularly for any stretch of time this year, would you feel confident about our chances?

I know I wouldn't

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
While I agree that's true (and there are some of those comments in this thread), in this case, it's not really much of a leap to assume Peters is starting when Mike Smith tweet's he's in the "starters crease". That's usually been a definitive indicator of who gets the start.

I'm inclined to believe that "assumes the worst" has more to do with Peters being incapable of being a decent goaltender rather than it meaning that Peters is simply starting.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm inclined to believe that "assumes the worst" has more to do with Peters being incapable of being a decent goaltender rather than it meaning that Peters is simply starting.

Well, other than Beardy and maybe 1 other, most of the comments were far from "assumes the worst", in fact, they most were downright optimistic. But in general, he's right in general on a number of posters.

Peters was 2-3-2 with .931 SV% and 2.48 GAA last season. Not terrible. I have been harsh on him in the past but still think he has the ability to be a NHL backup.

I'm cautiously optimistic. He played alright last season (at least better than the season before) and seems like the organization seems to think he's having his best year in Charlotte as well. He doesn't have to be THE man now, that's on Ellis.

I have close to zero trust in Pete Dawg but I hope he can prove me wrong here.

I'm cautiously optimistic, I think Peters thrives when he's "the guy", as evidence by his decent stats put up in his, what, 5 straight starts last year? I think coming right up and starting a game is the best thing for his confidence, I think he'll play pretty well.

Peters has been stellar all year, no worries, he's got this

The last time Peters faced Buffalo was March of 2010, and it was the second half of a B2B after he came in relief and won against Pittsburgh.

Last year, Peters was awful in his first 2 starts in December and January. Then when he had a chance to play a few games in a row in February he went 2-1-2 with a 1.56 GAA. I think that's more applicable than a single game from March 2010.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
It was also a general sentiment of how I've perceived things around here lately. One bit of adversity, and it's season over, or game over. The reality is that they're in a terrible division and they have an offense to run with anyone in the conference. That alone should sustain them throughout this speedbump.

The playoffs would be a different story, but I think everyone would be just happy to get there at this point.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It was also a general sentiment of how I've perceived things around here lately. One bit of adversity, and it's season over, or game over. The reality is that they're in a terrible division and they have an offense to run with anyone in the conference. That alone should sustain them throughout this speedbump.

The playoffs would be a different story, but I think everyone would be just happy to get there at this point.

I'm with you on that. It's why I avoid the GDT's all together during the game as there's lots of that in there as well.

Tony1028

Jan 10, 2008
Raleigh, NC
DOOMED!!! SEASON OVER!

jiFfM.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad