Slovaks of the NHL (July 1st update)

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Pat Maroon is going for his 4th Stanley Cup in 4 years. .. No Hall of Famer, if I'm not mistaken.

Not ruling it out for Černák, but he's not remotely close to that at this point. Slovak Hall of Fame, perhaps, but not international.

Then again, you could say he's still at an early stage of his NHL career – and he certainly started it with a bang!

Višňovský only came over to America when he was 24, and Švehla when he was 25. Černák only turned 25 a couple of weeks ago, and may get to hoist his 3rd Stanley Cup before this month is over...

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Pat Maroon is going for his 4th Stanley Cup in 4 years. .. No Hall of Famer, if I'm not mistaken.

Not ruling it out for Černák, but he's not remotely close to that at this point. Slovak Hall of Fame, perhaps, but not international.

Then again, you could say he's still at an early stage of his NHL career – and he certainly started it with a bang!

Višňovský only came over to America when he was 24, and Švehla when he was 25. Černák only turned 25 a couple of weeks ago, and may get to hoist his 3rd Stanley Cup before this month is over...
He would probably gain more attention in a larger role. Like Ekholm in Nashville. Still, it is nice that we could have potentially 4 top-4 NHL dman for 2026 Olympics (Nemec, Fehy, Cernak, Knazko). If everything goes to plan of course

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Hopefully this is the turning point for Slovakia. Would be fitting if now Chara, Sekera and Halak, the old guys retired or moved to Europe. Passing the torch moment. Sad but fitting.
Not to mention golden days of Satan and the national team. Very charismatic group that was.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I'm sorry to jinx this now, but Slovaks are having a pretty good start to the season by their standards.

Ruzicka is finally getting his chance with the Flames and is making the most of it so far. After seven games, he's got 8 points (4+4).

Tatar seems to be bouncing back a little. Maybe it's because Palat is injured he's getting more of an oppurtunity, but from what I've seen Tatar is looking better than last year.

Cernak and Fehervary aren't getting any points, but that's not their game anyway. Both are still playing top 4 minutes, which in it's own is a good sign for Slovakias defence.

Regenda has spent most of the season with Anaheim. Pretty cool that he made the step from the Slovak league to the NHL right away. But time will tell if he sticks.

Kelemen seems to be off a good start in the AHL, especially for a guy who wasn't overly productive in Extraliga. If he keeps this up he might get a call up to Arizona sooner or later.

Slafkovsky is doing what you can expect from him in Montréal, I think. He's not playing like an oustanding #1 pick, but neither does anyone else from his class.

I have no idea how Nemec has been playing in the AHL, but I've noticed he started producing a little more points lately. The same goes for Knazko, who after a slow start is heating up. Had a five point (!) night recently.

Studenic is slowing down in the AHL recently, but his game is about other things than points. Should still be a viable callup option for Dallas this season.

Ivo

Dec 29, 2008
Rotterdam, NL
I'm sorry to jinx this now, but Slovaks are having a pretty good start to the season by their standards.

Ruzicka is finally getting his chance with the Flames and is making the most of it so far. After seven games, he's got 8 points (4+4).

Tatar seems to be bouncing back a little. Maybe it's because Palat is injured he's getting more of an oppurtunity, but from what I've seen Tatar is looking better than last year.

Cernak and Fehervary aren't getting any points, but that's not their game anyway. Both are still playing top 4 minutes, which in it's own is a good sign for Slovakias defence.

Regenda has spent most of the season with Anaheim. Pretty cool that he made the step from the Slovak league to the NHL right away. But time will tell if he sticks.

Kelemen seems to be off a good start in the AHL, especially for a guy who wasn't overly productive in Extraliga. If he keeps this up he might get a call up to Arizona sooner or later.

Slafkovsky is doing what you can expect from him in Montréal, I think. He's not playing like an oustanding #1 pick, but neither does anyone else from his class.

I have no idea how Nemec has been playing in the AHL, but I've noticed he started producing a little more points lately. The same goes for Knazko, who after a slow start is heating up. Had a five point (!) night recently.

Studenic is slowing down in the AHL recently, but his game is about other things than points. Should still be a viable callup option for Dallas this season.
It is also about time for this infusion of young blood. The last of the golden generation just retired (Chara), but there is finally some reason to be cautiously optimistic about the future.

Reactions: Elvs

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
I think the Slovakians in general might have benefited from being part of Czechoslovakia (In sports I'm talking). The best player drafted since the year 2000 is Tomas Tatar, let that sink in for a bit.

Oddly enough, my wife's cousin is married to a Slovakian woman, and this past week I spoke to one of her relatives in a birthday party who is a big hockey fan. He mentioned that there's some serious corruption in Slovakian hockey at the moment. He said that a lot of players come from rich families and they're paying their way to the top. Not sure how accurate that is, but sounded interesting nevertheless.
Kind of like North America hockey then

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Kind of like North America hockey then
The difference being
In North America: Rich parents pay for their elite hockey player son to play the best academies, summer hockey camps, and have the best equipment and access to facilities. Kid gets drafted in the first round of the OHL/WHL/QMJHL draft and proceeds to be a first round pick in the NHL.

In Slovakia: Rich parents pay for their kid to play always on the highest level possible even though they aren’t even close to skilled enough. This kid than gets national team nominations for youth categories, undeservingly. Proceeds to play terrible as expected. Kid never gets drafted and yet took spots away from more deserving players over his youth career.

Reactions: Elvs

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
The OP has been updated going into free agency. Currently ten Slovaks are signed by NHL teams, or actually twelve counting Mesar and Sykora, though I keep them in the prospects list until they play pro in North America. Speaking of the prospects list, it was also updated since the draft. All in all, things are starting to look pretty good for Slovakia.

PhysicalGraffiti

Bolts STM
Jul 26, 2007
NY to TB
Still hoping Tatar and Halak get signed soon. I'm nervous for Halak with teams getting other goalies, part of me thinks he should have just taken a contract back with the Rangers if they were interested.

Don't think it's likely Panik ends up back in the league, but would really like him to get another shot.

Studenic maybe gets a chance in the pros this year with Seattle? I don't know their roster at all so unsure if that's a pipe dream.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Still hoping Tatar and Halak get signed soon. I'm nervous for Halak with teams getting other goalies, part of me thinks he should have just taken a contract back with the Rangers if they were interested.

Don't think it's likely Panik ends up back in the league, but would really like him to get another shot.

Studenic maybe gets a chance in the pros this year with Seattle? I don't know their roster at all so unsure if that's a pipe dream.
Panik signed a contract with Trinec in Czech Extraliga

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad