Post-Game Talk: Sleepy Oilers have rotten soup

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Highly predictable result.

- afternoon game
- playing our masters, the Dallas Stars
- Jamie Benn loves having us as his bitches

Said this earlier, Kulak needs to be bumped down to the bottom pairing. He's starting to sink a bit. Problem is, there is really no one to move into his spot at this point.
Yep. This team has a massive gap on the second pairing and Bouchards game will suffer for it too.

Outcome was expected but how it happened was gross.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Yeah the defense needs work. Everyone knows that. It’s underperforming relative to expectations as well

@CantHaveTkachev point was that them counting on Logan Thompson to keep up his performance is risky, and it is. He could easily start to fall back and they have no fallback option.

The VGK were going to be a playoff team, no one should have expected otherwise
Yep. Teams can fall off sometimes for a year and the Knights had a lot of trouble getting traction last season and looked tired. In reality over the period since their inception that team has played a lot of games. They had a long offseason and are fresh this year along with a full year to work in new players.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Vegas is 8 points up on us, we have a game in hand, and have SEVENTY games left to play.
It doesn't matter how much runway there is. This team looks content to be handily over ,500 and just hanging around. This isn't the roster that can play hard every night and its a team very predicated on a handful of players getting it done. When one or more of those don't show up its as good as a loss. I really thought the team would enter a diffferent phase this year and play like a first place club but I'm starting to wonder.

When I had hoped for more I was expecting that we would be getting more out of Holloway, have Virtanen or Janmark in lineup, and a modicum of production from guys like Pulju.

Its interesting that Ryan Murray is already being scratched multiple games. He's too bad to even be out on the ice. We needed to be very careful with cap spending this offseason as not enough of it around. We needed help in goaltending and at least one bonafide forward coming in. Instead we reupped Yama and Pulju and got duds like Murray.

• Haha
Reactions: EdmFlyersfan

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I always remember this long read on The Athletic about Campbell (for those who subscribe) and his road to the NHL - How Jack Campbell was saved on his way to the Maple Leafs.

Hard not to cheer for him to eventually turn it around, and I'm hopeful that he still will do so.
This just really really makes it obvious that we need to get rid of Schwartz. Campbell is a guy who needs the right kind of goalie coach to get him out of funks and Schwartz is the worst goalie coach in the league.

Reactions: frag2 and MessierII

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It doesn't matter how much runway there is. This team looks content to be handily over ,500 and just hanging around. This isn't the roster that can play hard every night and its a team very predicated on a handful of players getting it done. When one or more of those don't show up its as good as a loss. I really thought the team would enter a diffferent phase this year and play like a first place club but I'm starting to wonder.

When I had hoped for more I was expecting that we would be getting more out of Holloway, have Virtanen or Janmark in lineup, and a modicum of production from guys like Pulju.

Its interesting that Ryan Murray is already being scratched multiple games. He's too bad to even be out on the ice. We needed to be very careful with cap spending this offseason as not enough of it around. We needed help in goaltending and at least one bonafide forward coming in. Instead we reupped Yama and Pulju and got duds like Murray.
Not my point. Vegas hasn’t locked anything up over anybody with 70 games left.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
It’s an wonderful sentiment, and I think one that we all share. But unless I’m out in the weeds that is a different Ben, and the the pic was posted for, uh, less admirable reasons.

SImply an odd coincidence. Kid gets hit in the puck during play. Takes it like a champ and goes to see Jack and Louie along with his smoke show momma. Of course the kid's name happens to be Ben.

When I saw the name I was certain there was going to be somebody taking offense to something to do with this situation because they got the Ben's mixed up.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
The good news today is noticing Woody playing Yamo on the 4th line during practice today. Looks like Pulji gets another chance on the top line. Hyman is now playing on the 2nd.

So

RNH-McDavid-Puljujarvi
Kane-Draisaitl-Hyman
Foegele-McLeod-Ryan
Shore-Holloway-Yamamoto

Plus Skinner gets the start. Thankfully.

Edit:

My internet is poor so I wouldn't have posted the same link many ppl before me have. I even refreshed and my feed was still behind evidently. Lol

Anyhow.. that 2nd line looks like it could be lethal.

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Much better lines although now McDavid's line seems weakened. I'd try McLeod or Holloway there. McLeod can keep up with Connor and Holloway has sufficient IQ to complete plays with McDavid. Yamamoto to the fourth line is long overdue.
hopefully these configurations have more drive and finish than what was out there yesterday. Yamamoto is finally moved off the top 6, but he probably drags down the 4th line that has been a positive In early games this year. Should be interesting tomorrow.

Reactions: Duke74

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Woodcroft is starting to lose me, it’s very obvious with a lot of playing time that RNH -McDavid is a not a good fit and while you’re at it throw a struggling player up there too. Way to nullify McDavid’s potential.

Reactions: harpoon

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Glad I missed this one.

Campbell's stats are horrifically bad. Way too early to make a real judgment but, yikes, this is a rough damn start for him. Very similar to the way Koskinen started last year. Winning record but horrendous save pct.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Woodcroft is starting to lose me, it’s very obvious with a lot of playing time that RNH -McDavid is a not a good fit and while you’re at it throw a struggling player up there too. Way to nullify McDavid’s potential.
Yeah the numbers point to him being completely nullified.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad