Sleeper/Riser for the 2012 draft

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'm curious as too whom people think may surprise and end up a fast riser in this draft and a sleeper for perhaps a first round selection. In previous drafts we've seen Mark Scheifele, Ryan Johanson, Joel Armia. For this draft I can see someone like Connor Rankin who maybe isn't all that off the map, or Justin Kea, Phil DiGuiseppe, with a good break out season they could go from mid-round picks to possible first rounders. Any thoughts?

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
Impossible thing to predict, Ryan Johansen was a bottom six player in tier II as a 16 year old, Scheifele played Junior B. Of your guys Connor Rankin is a '13 Draft because of his late birthday. Kea's not a bad choice as he has a lot of size and some skill, just struggled to show it last year.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Colton Sissons is a guy that flies under the radar a bit in the WHL. Pretty big kid who had surprisingly good numbers for Kelowna last year.

Jaynen Rissling is lost in the shuffle often when it comes to the WHL's crop of defenders next year.

Both of those guys aren't huge sleepers, per say.

One guy that would be more of a sleeper is Tommy Stipancik of the Blades. He missed the first half of last year bc of a concussion suffered in bantam but played the second half of the year in Saskatoon. He's big (atleast 6'3) and has a long reach. He plays nice and physical and makes a very nice first pass. Could be a guy that develops into a nice bottom pairing NHL defender if he works on his footspeed a little more.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Colton Sissons is a guy that flies under the radar a bit in the WHL. Pretty big kid who had surprisingly good numbers for Kelowna last year.

Jaynen Rissling is lost in the shuffle often when it comes to the WHL's crop of defenders next year.

Both of those guys aren't huge sleepers, per say.

One guy that would be more of a sleeper is Tommy Stipancik of the Blades. He missed the first half of last year bc of a concussion suffered in bantam but played the second half of the year in Saskatoon. He's big (atleast 6'3) and has a long reach. He plays nice and physical and makes a very nice first pass. Could be a guy that develops into a nice bottom pairing NHL defender if he works on his footspeed a little more.

Thank you, this is more what I was looking for the unheralded prospects who have potential and may make a name for themselves and break out. Mistake with Rankin btw on my part he is a late 94, 2013 draft eligible.

B Boarding

Feb 26, 2005
Stockholm, Sweden
Some candidates from Sweden that could climb the rankings if they have a good season.

Mikael Wikstrand, D
Pontus Ã…berg, LW/RW
Christian Djoos, D
Ludwig Byström, D
Fredric Anderberg, LW

Rshields

Oct 23, 2009
This is where the great scouts gain their reputation. You don't even need scouting to pick in the top 10 as the BPA is pretty much a toss up when your pick comes up.
Two forwards playinng in the Dub that I expect to see get more notice are Chandler Stevenson and Tyrel Seaman. I watched them both prior to their bantam drafts in the C4 and think they have more to show.
Stevenson is a player who doesn't make many hi lite reels but will show up on the score sheet in games that count. He will be playing for a new coach this season and I expect to see him take a much bigger roll in the future. He seemed to be coming on strong at the U18 camp but didn't quite make it with the strong group that went.
Doubt that he can add enough size to move to first round but I think he will be one of the top 3 Dub forwards.
Seaman is right off the radar. He doesn't have the stats to compare with some who list higher but having watched him some in bantam and midget i think he has the tools if he can get the confidence to put them to use. The redline scout at the U18 camp observed that there was no one that could compare for physical presence. Big kid that can skate, hit and shoot. Just needs to shoot at the net and swing in the fights. He also has a new coach and I think can move to the 3rd round and top 6 dub forwards in 2012.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This is where the great scouts gain their reputation. You don't even need scouting to pick in the top 10 as the BPA is pretty much a toss up when your pick comes up.
Two forwards playinng in the Dub that I expect to see get more notice are Chandler Stevenson and Tyrel Seaman. I watched them both prior to their bantam drafts in the C4 and think they have more to show.
Stevenson is a player who doesn't make many hi lite reels but will show up on the score sheet in games that count. He will be playing for a new coach this season and I expect to see him take a much bigger roll in the future. He seemed to be coming on strong at the U18 camp but didn't quite make it with the strong group that went.
Doubt that he can add enough size to move to first round but I think he will be one of the top 3 Dub forwards.
Seaman is right off the radar. He doesn't have the stats to compare with some who list higher but having watched him some in bantam and midget i think he has the tools if he can get the confidence to put them to use. The redline scout at the U18 camp observed that there was no one that could compare for physical presence. Big kid that can skate, hit and shoot. Just needs to shoot at the net and swing in the fights. He also has a new coach and I think can move to the 3rd round and top 6 dub forwards in 2012.

- Both good candidates and I've seen quite a bit of both of them. I really do question their "high end" potential, though. I heard the buzz last fall about Seaman seemingly coming out of nowhere to make Brandon. He made the team but I never saw too much out of him. Kind of big, kind of slow, not much for hands. Let's hope he's developed since last season. Stephenson is a fun player to watch. He's small, but he's very smart. Doesn't shine in any area of the ice really in my eyes but the Pats are going to need him to have a huge production jump for them to be anywhere near the playoffs.

- I wouldn't call Seaman "right off the radar". The guy was invited to try out for Canada's Under 18 team at the Ivan Hlinka. The guy is getting noticed...

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
there are a lot of solid kids from the US that I think will rise bigtime like 2010.

the 2010 draft was a very deep draft for the US, and for those that follow the US, we knew it would be a very deep draft despite the fact that many of the players that eventually went top 30 werent being touted there. this draft imo will shape up to be the same. there is just a lot of talent all over the place for the US, that it could reach 2010 levels all around.

I really like these sleepers for top 30-45 range come June

Troy Donnay - London Knights

this 6'7 behemoth hasnt even touched the tip of the iceberg with his talent. though still very raw, and only seeing limited action in the OHL last year, there is still so much to like from Donnay...and it is scary good. He is a slender 185, and that is an issue that he needs to address as the year goes on. but unlike many 6'5 and above players, he really isnt that awkward on his skates like a Joe Finley was. Donnay isnt going to be confused with Paul Coffey out there, but with all the ability and potential that he does have, you certainly have to keep an eye on him as his playing time should increase 10 fold this year.

Mark Petaccio - Oshawa Generals

One of the more exciting players that I have ever seen coming out of the Comcast program over the years, Petaccio has all the skills and traits to be a high end draft pick in June. Blessed with a 6'3 frame and almost 190lb, this kid is just blossoming into his own. He has all the tools to be an all around threat each and every game, he needs to get mentally tougher, stronger overall, and show more willingness to shoot more, but I feel he is certainly one of the more intriguing players to keep an eye on.

Zach Stepan - Shattuck St Mary's

The cousin of young stud Derek Stepan has some big skates to fill. Though he is under 6 feet tall and under 180lb, like his cousin, I think he has enough drive, will, and creativity to become a pretty key player to look at come June. I believe he is staying at Shattuck, though I would love for him to go to the USHL or the CHL, Stepan is a offensive minded center that hopefully continues to get stronger throughout the year and become the third Stepan taken in the NHL draft.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
though he really isnt under the radar, I would also keep an eye on Max Iafrate....big Al's boy. This kid really isnt getting much top 30 talk, but if he rounds out his game this year and gets more offensively involved, you could be looking at a real huge riser. Already stands above 6'3 200lbs, this kid is definitely worth looking into.

also look out for Brendan Silk USNDP - Injured all of last year, this is my version of Connor Murphy if he can come back to full health and put it all together.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Out of the Q keep an eye on Rafael Bussiere and Francis Beauvillier. both had great camp at the RDO NHL camp this week. Both are ready to put big number this yr

Dillon Fournier is another one i like. good all around defensemen from Rouyn-Noranda.

Alberta tough

Sep 3, 2008
Still on top!
Nicholas Walters is a dman for Everett that will be infront of alot of scouts that will be watching Murray. He is a past high pick from the bantam draft. Skates well and should start putting up some numbers.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I ****ing love these kind of threads. Great stuff peeps, especially AD, keep it coming.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
Nicholas Walters is a dman for Everett that will be infront of alot of scouts that will be watching Murray. He is a past high pick from the bantam draft. Skates well and should start putting up some numbers.

I agree. He was very underrated last season as when I saw him play (quite often) he was quite noticeable in a good way. Hope to pay more attention to him this season.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
One guy that should get more love this year is Mike Winther from the PA Raiders. Played a pretty solid role as a 3rd liner and 4th liner last season and still managed to score a few goals on a very low scoring team. With guys like Parker going to the AHL and McNeill spending time at Hawks camp, the Raiders will give him and Shane Danyluk a chance to compete for PP time.

William H Bonney

Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
One I'd look for is Brady Skjei from the NTDP U18 squad. He's 6'2 and 200 lbs and skates like the wind. He gets overlooked because he plays on the same team as Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba but Skjei is considered vastly underrated by those that have seen him by the majority of the pre-season scouting rankings that have come out so far.

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Two guys, Jordan Masters and Andreas Athansiou.

And one thing about Donnay, he has the size, but they have had him as a healthy scratch the majority of this season? Is there something that we may not know of?

R S

Sep 18, 2006
One I'd look for is Brady Skjei from the NTDP U18 squad. He's 6'2 and 200 lbs and skates like the wind. He gets overlooked because he plays on the same team as Seth Jones and Jacob Trouba but Skjei is considered vastly underrated by those that have seen him by the majority of the pre-season scouting rankings that have come out so far.

I haven't seen any of him but I've read a few things. He seems to get a decent amount of press. ISS ranked him 21st for 2012.

R S

Sep 18, 2006

And one thing about Donnay, he has the size, but they have had him as a healthy scratch the majority of this season? Is there something that we may not know of?

Pretty easy to call Athanasiou with him being all over the highlight reels the last 3 weeks :laugh:

Jamie Benn

NHL Draft Enthusiast
Aug 14, 2008
At The Rink
Pretty easy to call Athanasiou with him being all over the highlight reels the last 3 weeks :laugh:

Nah, I was watching him before hand and at the Ivan Hlinka tourney. He just stood out alot imo.

And also, Matt Finn is another guy I think could move up
EDIT: Daulton Siwak as well.

Last edited:

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON

Yes Donnay was a healthy scratch most of the season, the kid is a long term project for the Knights who I would give a fairly slim chance of getting drafted next spring. He's very tall and he can skate, but he's a beanpole who's simply not a very good hockey player at this point. It wouldn't surprise me if he's still a healthy scratch for some of the season this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad