Music: Slayer announce global farewell tour

Lost Horizons

Oct 14, 2006
Mass
Slayer announce global farewell tour

Slayer announce global farewell tour

‘The age of Slayer is coming to an end,’ announce the legendary heavy metal band after 37 years and nearly 3,000 gigs

The heavy metal band Slayer have confirmed that they will split this summer, after a global farewell tour.
The band summarised their remarkable career – 37 years, 12 studio albums, almost 3,000 performances and two Grammy awards – in a lengthy Instagram post, concluding: “The age of Slayer, one of the greatest thrash/metal/punk bands of this or any age, is coming to an end.”

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Let's be fair, Bospath did some great drum work with them. Divine Intervention has the best recorded metal drums ever. They sound crisp and loud.

But with the classic lineup love Seasons.

If you've never seen them live go. It's not going to be Phish where they're jamming, they mostly stick to the script, but definitely worth it.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I've seen 'em about 15 times and got my pit tickets today. The rest of the show will be great as well.
I'm a big fan but I don't defend everything they do. I probably dislike more songs (or find them average) than I like, but I always enjoy them.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I still have jam tapes made in my basement in 1988-89 with my very first band and there we are, murdering Jesus Saves and Angel of Death.

Not the same without Hanneman and Lombardo.

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Would have been nice if they could have gotten Lombardo for the farewell tour, even though Bostaph is a solid drummer.

People like to rip on them for some reason but I still like the current version of the band.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Would have been nice if they could have gotten Lombardo for the farewell tour, even though Bostaph is a solid drummer.

People like to rip on them for some reason but I still like the current version of the band.

I know there's a lot of bad blood (no pun intended) between Lombardo and the other guys after the accounting/royalty audit. He's happy, he's kinda taken over the Josh Freese/Brooks Wackerman/Dave Grohl role as drummer for hire between The Misfits, Dead Cross, Suicidal Tendencies, his own band, other Patton stuff, etc.

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
Saw them 5-6 years ago at Mayhem Fest with Motörhead before Lombardo left the band so Hanneman was the only original missing. 16 year old me didn’t understand the gravity of that day

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
While they definitely should have wrapped it up after Jeff's death, I will give props to Gary Holt. He's more than held his own filling in Jeff's shoes, and is the only member of the band that looks like he still enjoys playing in Slayer.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Got my tickets for the farewell tour in Laval May 30th. Should be a good night with LOG Anthrax Behemoth & Testament also. Beer and Metal. Wooooooo :nod:

MetalheadPenguinsFan

Sep 17, 2009
Canada
While they definitely should have wrapped it up after Jeff's death, I will give props to Gary Holt. He's more than held his own filling in Jeff's shoes, and is the only member of the band that looks like he still enjoys playing in Slayer.

I bet Kerry King still enjoys/will miss the paycheques.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I got to see them once in Calgary in 2006 with the classic lineup. Jeff Hanneman seemed to make eye contact with me once too during their set. It was a very memorable show. Perhaps one of the best I've ever attended.

Last edited:

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
Too bad megadeth couldn't be on the bill instead of LoG, only band on the bill I'm not big on.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
I agree with White Plains Batman that percussionist Paul Bostaph was excellent or first rate on Divine Intervention. I believe he got an elbow injury which led his leaving Slayer at one point. Has he fully recovered or is he just getting by with it?

Last edited:

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008

Bostaph is solid, but the best comparison I've heard is that if you want to hear how the song sounds on the album, Bostaph is your guy. If you want to hear how the song should sound, then it's Lombardo.

I know there's a lot of bad blood (no pun intended) between Lombardo and the other guys after the accounting/royalty audit. He's happy, he's kinda taken over the Josh Freese/Brooks Wackerman/Dave Grohl role as drummer for hire between The Misfits, Dead Cross, Suicidal Tendencies, his own band, other Patton stuff, etc.

I never knew that the audit actually happened. I know Lombardo has asked them to open the books, but I didn't think it went any further than that.

I know there's an interview out there with Tom where he says that he couldn't get into specifics but they didn't exactly have an exit plan when they started Slayer. Like there was no discussion on who had ownership of the Slayer name, who had the final decision on touring, etc. I know there's been talk for awhile that he (Tom) has been wanting to get off of the road for awhile, but because of "loose ends" (which has to be a reference to Lombardo, even though he is associating them with Hanneman) they are continuing on.

edit: found one interview where the loose ends reference is made.

iamjs

Oct 1, 2008
Not the same without Hanneman and Lombardo.

Even Tom called Slayer "half of Slayer" with the lineup that was without Lombardo and Hanneman.

"When I heard it... After I heard the whole thing, 'My God, this is Slayer.' It's Slayer. When someone [asks], 'How do you feel about the record?' I say, 'It's Slayer. Well, half of Slayer, but it still sounds like Slayer.' It sounds like a Slayer record. When you listen to it, you go, 'This is Slayer.' But then you have to sit back and [go], 'Well, part of Slayer... It's half of Slayer.' You know what I mean? Because of what we've gone through. I listen to it and... Inside, yeah, I feel like, 'Okay, well this is...' Because of my perspective, it's half of Slayer. But when I listen to it, it's Slayer; it's identifiable."
He continued: "I think it's really good for half of Slayer. That's what I'm saying. When you listen to it, [you go], 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' I said that without the thought that it's just me and [guitarist] Kerry [King from the original lineup]. I said it with, 'Oh my God. This is Slayer.' 'Cause I'm a fan. You know what I mean? And my concern is, 'What are people gonna think?' 'What am I gonna think?' And so when I heard it, I was, like, 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' But deep inside, I know... I know that Jeff's not here, and that we were lucky enough to have a song of his on the record. So that, to me, was... 'Oh my God, this is Slayer.' But inside I correct myself. I go, 'Well, half of Slayer, but this is Slayer.' As a fan, I can sit back and go, 'My God...' And it sounded awesome."

Tom Araya: 'Repentless' Is Very Good 'For Half of Slayer'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad