Recalled/Assigned: Slater Koekoek to SYC

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

Smart move, they still don’t know if Hedman is 100% and then there is also a possible suspension on Nesty so some ‘d’ help will be needed if they don't feel like playing Boyle there full time (which wouldn't be bad but having him out there + two 'd' is even better)

Looks like Hedman is better:

Last edited:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Is Sustr less of an option now?

Koekkoek's up as a lefty, meaning Hedman's out. Sustr will just slot back into his usual spot on the right of Carle. Sadly. But hey, Hose is right. 3-0.

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Koekkoek's up as a lefty, meaning Hedman's out. Sustr will just slot back into his usual spot on the right of Carle. Sadly. But hey, Hose is right. 3-0.

Or Cooper will be Cooper and Carle will take Hedman's spot with Stralman :nod:

Brie

bearer of bad news
Jul 5, 2014

That's what he did during practice but hopefully they will play Koekoek with him, feels like if there is anyone Koekoek can leanr from it's Strålman.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Honestly I wouldn't mind protecting Carle a little bit after last game. It would be different if Coop didn't flatten icetime so much across the board.

Maybe Koekkoek and either Coburn or Garrison.

Wouldn't be surprised if the kid makes it hard for us to send him back down.

FDfranklin

Jan 21, 2013
Are we all delusional thinking Carle is the worst player on our team? If we all see it why doesn't the coaching staff see it? I just don't understand. He was directly responsible for 2 goals last night and had a ton of ice time. He's been horrible this season. We have other options. Are they trying to keep his trade value up?

I hope Slater is 'slated' higher than Carle on defense tomorrow.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Are we all delusional thinking Carle is the worst player on our team? If we all see it why doesn't the coaching staff see it? I just don't understand. He was directly responsible for 2 goals last night and had a ton of ice time. He's been horrible this season. We have other options. Are they trying to keep his trade value up?

Part of me is buying the whole "showcasing" element to this.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Matt Carle has definitely regressed the past year but was much needed when he was signed. We were Hedman and garbage when he came along, he took on a ton of big minutes to help Hedman grow. We had no idea we'd get Garrison on the cheap, Stralman would take a sweet deal and we'd be good enough to trade for a Coburn. I want him off the books but I am ok keeping him around because of how he helped the team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Part of me is buying the whole "showcasing" element to this.

Yeah, in previous cases where we could all see a guy was dragging the team down, it turned out management was actually seeing the same thing. Malone, Purcell, and Connolly were all moved when the timing was right (a little debatable on the timing in Connolly's case). You have to think with Carle they're waiting for a moment and/or opportunity.

That said, he hasn't been as bad this year as he was most of last year. And that was his only really atrocious year with us. If nothing else, there's still hope he'll regain some trade value, especially as the time left on his contract burns away.

Also, I agree with Hose. The signing wasn't bad at the time it was made. The contract just gets worse as Carle regresses though, and also as he gets passed on the depth chart by cheaper acquisitions.

MattM92

Dec 8, 2010
FL
Since Sustr has to be in tonight, I would go back to the pairings from the first 3 games and just sub Koekkoek in for Hedman.

Koekkoek-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Carle-Sustr

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
The only way to "showcase" Carle is to inadvertently give Garrison a jersey with the #25 on its back.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Since Sustr has to be in tonight, I would go back to the pairings from the first 3 games and just sub Koekkoek in for Hedman.

Koekkoek-Stralman
Garrison-Coburn
Carle-Sustr

I don't know if Sustr's ready for Stralman's level of D responsibilities. Buffalo's top six is dangerous. I think I'd rather see Garrison play with Stralman.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
The only way to "showcase" Carle is to inadvertently give Garrison a jersey with the #25 on its back.

You never know when guys are just reading TOI stat lines or something. I mean, how we got a 3rd, and a high third at that, for Eric Brewer is still beyond me.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
You never know when guys are just reading TOI stat lines or something. I mean, how we got a 3rd, and a high third at that, for Eric Brewer is still beyond me.

True but it's more the exception than the rule.... Also we're not even sure they're trying to move Carle and the last game aside, he's been a pleasant surprise so far, I know you know it as you've pointed his performance out several times. Maybe he's capable to get a decent season together this time around ?

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
True but it's more the exception than the rule.... Also we're not even sure they're trying to move Carle and the last game aside, he's been a pleasant surprise so far, I know you know it as you've pointed his performance out several times. Maybe he's capable to get a decent season together this time around ?

Even so, it's hard to imagine him performing well enough to justify his contract. That wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for all the guys we need to get signed in the next two years or so.

If he can play well enough to have positive value, I think we deal him. Probably after the season though, like we did with Teddy, to free up money. Unless Koekkoek outshines him pretty badly in these next few games. Then maybe we can move Carle at the deadline.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Even so, it's hard to imagine him performing well enough to justify his contract. That wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for all the guys we need to get signed in the next two years or so.

If he can play well enough to have positive value, I think we deal him. Probably after the season though, like we did with Teddy, to free up money. Unless Koekkoek outshines him pretty badly in these next few games. Then maybe we can move Carle at the deadline.

The problem is that we're Cup contenders in theory and it's an issue to have a lack of experience at the blueline. That's the main reason I'm not convinced Yzerman even tried or will try to move Carle this season. I can see Nesterov passing Sustr on the depth charts but that doesnt make Carle expandable yet. It's up to Koekkoek to outclass him as you said but he'll need a lot NHL minutes before the deadline to convince the coaching staff he's a better option than Carle IMO. Very unlikely, I'm personally ready for another full season with Carle, that's why I hope he's having a decent year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad