Slapshot, mascot of the Flyers

chaosof99*

A bit of fail here since Google actually doesn't give a good image of this. The only image of it 404s, though the preview should probably suffice.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
A bit of fail here since Google actually doesn't give a good image of this. The only image of it 404s, though the preview should probably suffice.

I actually agree. Theres no good pictures or any articles at all...

ilovetheflyers8

Jan 26, 2009
D.C.
The Caps mascot is now called Slapshot and has been for as long as I can remember. I did find a mention of it in an ESPN article but that's it.

edit: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/more/news/2003/07/10/mascot_timeline/
Weird mascot happenings most of them involving injuries or someone abusing the mascot.

Lol at this one
November 1996 -- Wisconsin mascot Bucky the Badger is arrested and issued a $141.50 ticket for crowd surfing in the student section. When asked by the booking officer to spell his name, the student begins by saying, "Badger. B-A-D-G ...

Last edited:

mcboyle1212

May 3, 2012
I wish I would've seen this thread sooner but my dad was actually the Philadelphia Flyers mascot, Slapshot, in 1976. He's the biggest Flyers' fan I know and the best dad ever! I have a picture that he used to autograph for fans but I'm not sure how to post it on this forum.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I wish I would've seen this thread sooner but my dad was actually the Philadelphia Flyers mascot, Slapshot, in 1976. He's the biggest Flyers' fan I know and the best dad ever! I have a picture that he used to autograph for fans but I'm not sure how to post it on this forum.

That's awesome your dad was the Mascot. Does he still have the outfit?? And welcome to the board!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Is this the photo?

images

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Im actually reminiscing about all the old users/names in this thread.

(but for real thats cool though)

mcboyle1212

May 3, 2012
He told me that he had to give the costume back after using it every time so they could dry clean it. And yes that's the photo. We have it hanging in our house! I'd LOVE to get a hold of some video footage as a surprise for my dad's 60th birthday (which is this August) but I haven't had any luck yet.

mcboyle1212

May 3, 2012
He said apparently the mascot was designed by someone who did designs for the Muppets. And he's a "Flyer" as in an airplane war pilot flyer.

Alainasmommy07

May 29, 2012

I was wondering if your Dad has any information about the stuffed doll. My parents got me one when I was a baby and I was told that they only sold them for one season. When I ask about them, no one has any idea what I am talking about. Thanks!!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00