Value of: Skjei to WPG

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Could Winnipeg inquire about Skjei now that the Byfuglien siutation is come to an end. I'm aware the handedness doesn't exactly line up, but Elliotte Friedman alluded to WPG goes after a young D, which Skjei fits the bill for.

Would there be interest from WPG/what would be a return that WPG could get on board with?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i don't think so. i think the LD pipeline isn't bad long term when Heinola and Samberg develop and obviously Morrissey as LD1. Id deal Roslovic(+) for a RHD though but not sure in terms of how high quality of player that'd nab.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
What's his value to ranger fans? Most Ranger fans wouldn't have traded him for Trouba over the past few years. Some how I think Troubas value has gone up over the past few months in their eyes.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
i don't think so. i think the LD pipeline isn't bad long term when Heinola and Samberg develop and obviously Morrissey as LD1. Id deal Roslovic(+) for a RHD though but not sure in terms of how high quality of player that'd nab.
Figure the handedness would play a pretty important role in this since youguys lost Trouba to us last summer, have been without Byfuglien and Myers left too. None of our RHD are really pieces we'd move right now unless blown out of the water, and Roslovic + 1st doesn't quite move the needle for DeAngelo/Fox and Trouba wouldn't get dealt back obviously.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
LH or RH top 4 D with term/young I think should all be considered. Depending on the cost the Jets interest will increase/decrease.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
What's his value to ranger fans? Most Ranger fans wouldn't have traded him for Trouba over the past few years. Some how I think Troubas value has gone up over the past few months in their eyes.
Don't know if this way an issue in Winnipeg, but I've noticed his pivots when transitioning from backwards to forward to angle a forward whos driving wide have been a bit weak this season.

Other than that, Trouba has eaten very tough minutes, has found a nice home on PP2 with his one-timer, and hasn't had a negative affect on other players. I've been happy with him, and think he's very valuable to us. Maybe slightly overpaid in the present, but I think he could earn the 8M AAV as the contract goes on.

Some Rangers fans, specifically mine, interest in moving Skjei comes from the cap. Not sure how he's viewed by other teams/fanbases, but watching him play this season has been hard at times. I've long said he'll develop into the contract and he'll grow into the 1D role, but he's just not putting it together. Outside views may still value him highly though.

I know it seems backwards to trade an asset I view at low value, but I'm not too confident the value won't sink lower than it already is. a similar aged top-6 forward with term or a younger top-9 forward with top-6 upside (+ another pices, B prospect or 3rd rounder) would be something I would really see as a good return at this point

Reactions: TS Quint

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Mate, why do you keep posting so much shit?

.....and what is your problem with Skjei? You have posted 4 threads about trading him away to different teams with the last 2 weeks.

Please stop.

Reactions: UnSandvich and Kupo

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Mate, why do you keep posting so much ****?

.....and what is your problem with Skjei? You have posted 4 threads about trading him away to different teams with the last 2 weeks.

Please stop.
I was wondering who is in charge of everyone's opinions and what they are allowed to post. Glad I found you. I'll start running all of my posts by you before posting. Glad I found you Boss.

Reactions: kinger8998

Walt22

Mar 19, 2018
I would love this return, but I'm not sure we could pry him away. That's the issue for me, after Vesalainen I think the drop off to Roslovic is too much. Is there middle grounds somewhere in there?
Drop off from Vesalainen to Roslovic???

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Mate, why do you keep posting so much ****?

Please stop.
I just posted another one just for you :D . I am of the opinion that Skjei is a piece that is necessary to move at this point, and I'm just curious about how other fanbases feel about him.

Literally this post asked a question ... I don't see how this is ****. It's not even a trade proposal.

Reactions: bernmeister

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
Drop off from Vesalainen to Roslovic???
Roslovic is older, and hasn't seemed to ever really fulfill the top-6 upside everyone claimed he had. Haven't heard much of Vesalainen lately but wasn't he ranked very high his draft year before a sudden fall off? Figured he still has higher upside/better chances of reaching it as opposed to Roslovic? You would know more than me though considering you are a fan.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Don't know if this way an issue in Winnipeg, but I've noticed his pivots when transitioning from backwards
to forward to angle a forward whos driving wide have been a bit weak this season.

Other than that, Trouba has eaten
very tough minutes, has found a nice home on PP2 with his one-timer, and hasn't had a negative affect on other players. I've been happy with him, and think he's very valuable to
us. Maybe slightly overpaid in the present, but I think he could earn the 8M AAV as the contract goes on.

Some Rangers fans, specifically
mine, interest in moving Skjei comes from the cap. Not sure how he's viewed by other teams/fanbases, but watching him play this season has been hard at times. I've long said
he'll develop into the contract and he'll grow into the 1D role, but he's just not putting it together. Outside
views may still value him highly though.

I know it seems backwards to trade an asset I view at low value, but I'm
not too confident the value won't sink lower than it already is. a similar aged top-6 forward with term or a younger top-9 forward with top-6 upside (+ another pices, B prospect or 3rd rounder) would be something I would really see as a good return at this point

If you think his value is only going to continue to sink lower and lower, then why would any acquiring team be interested or even offer anything of value?

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
If you think his value is only going to continue to sink lower and lower, then why would any acquiring team be interested or even offer anything of value?
Well, I'm saying that it's my personal opinion on Skjei. I can't see into the future, and I can't predict that with certainty. I'm just saying I have seen enough as someone who watches every game and am ready to move on because I have formed my opinion.

I'm simply saying that if other fanbases/teams on the outside don't feel the same way, the time for us to move him is now before people have the chance to form the same opinion I have.

Opinions are not universal you know, it's a crazy thing!!!

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Well, I'm saying that it's my personal opinion on Skjei. I can't see into the future, and I can't predict that with
certainty. I'm just saying I have seen enough as someone who watches
every game and am ready to move on because I have formed my opinion.

I'm simply saying that if other fanbases/teams on the outside don't feel the same way, the time for us
to move him is now before people have the chance to form the same opinion I have.

I know opinions aren't universal and that's fine. But asking others for some type of value for a player you don't like(who has sinking value) why would another fan base or team offer much of anything.

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
I know opinions aren't universal and that's fine. But asking others for some type of value for a player you don't like(who has sinking value) why would another fan base or team offer much of anything.
Because opinion is based on personality. My opinion of Skjei could be pessimistic, because I give players shorter leashes. But one mans trash is anothers treasure. Winnipeg fans could be more optimistic, which would have their opinion of Skjei sit at a guy who can be had for cheap and whos value can only go up, because they have longer patience and more leeway.

Obviously if I were a GM I would not go and tell another GM I'm attempting to trade a player to that I view him as a detriment. But we are not GM's, we are fans. So I was asked my opinion and simply explained it.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Well, I'm saying that it's my personal opinion on Skjei. I can't see into the future, and I can't predict that with certainty. I'm just saying I have seen enough as someone who watches every game and am ready to move on because I have formed my opinion.

I'm simply saying that if other fanbases/teams on the outside don't feel the same way, the time for us to move him is now before people have the chance to form the same opinion I have.

You understand that when the Rangers were making deep playoff runs their D was one of the best in the league.......changing from Sullivan to Ruff is the reason they are a black hole of offensive chances against. It is not Skjei's ability that is bad, it is Ruff's defensive system that sucks. All of these players and goalies are subject to more pressure because of the chicken without a head, concede the line system he runs. This is why I think Shesty and Geo are going to be very good. They are getting usually over 30 shots a game and sometimes over 40. Ask Dallas fans about the defense improved when they fired Ruff.

Take all of what is happening with this team now for what it is worth.......once the rebuild is truly over Quinn and Co. are gone and a real coach will be brought in to teach these guys how to win. Skjei should be moved because making cap room would be helpful but he is not a negative value player. Look at Pionk on NYR compared to him today. They might make a lot of room at this TDL.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Because opinion is based on personality. My opinion of Skjei could be pessimistic, because I give players shorter leashes. But one mans trash is anothers treasure. Winnipeg fans could be more optimistic, which would have their opinion of Skjei sit at a guy who can be had for cheap and whos value can only go up, because they have longer patience and more leeway.

Obviously if I were a GM I would not go and tell another GM I'm attempting to trade a player to that I view him as a detriment. But we are not GM's, we are fans. So I was asked my opinion and simply explained it.

You are talking about a young top 4 D with a great contract. He's not great but he's not bad either. Someone, somewhere could use that. In the right system be might be really, really good.

Last edited:

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
You understand that when the Rangers were making deep playoff runs their D was one of the best in the league.......changing from Sullivan to Ruff is the reason they are a black hole of offensive chances against. It is not Skjei's ability that is bad, it is Ruff's defensive system that sucks. All of these players and goalies are subject to more pressure because of the chicken without a head, concede the line system he runs. This is why I think Shesty and Geo are going to be very good. They are getting usually over 30 shots a game and sometimes over 40. Ask Dallas fans about the defense improved when they fired Ruff.

Take all of what is happening with this team now for what it is worth.......once the rebuild is truly over Quinn and Co. are gone and a real coach will be brought in to teach these guys how to win. Skjei should be moved because making cap room would be helpful but he is not a negative value player. Look at Pionk on NYR compared to him today. They might make a lot of room at this TDL.
Yes, I fully agree with you. I just feel though the way they've talked recently, with Quinn saying he has big boy talks with Gorton and Davidson, I worry that Ruff may be safe. If Quinn has legitimate say in what goes on in the front office, and is truly involved to the extent he made it sound, I would be genuinly worried that he backs Ruff in those conversations.

With that worry, I'd say that the cap that Skjie take sup is more valuable than his poor performance under this system. But preferably, yes, Ruff would be fired and Skjei would regain form and even improve upon it.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Knowing how bad Hayes was, I would give up a capdump the most like Little. Cant get stuck with another overpaid overhyped Ranger-player

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Knowing how bad Hayes was, I would give up a capdump the most like Little. Cant get stuck with another overpaid overhyped Ranger-player

Surely the Rangers would be silly not to jump at your realistic offer. And I certainly agree with you about how one player being a poor fit and performing poorly obviously must mean every other player coming from the same team
will perform just as bad. That is complete common sense thinking there. (not really)

TS Quint

Sep 8, 2012
Hayes was bad for the Jets? Hayes played well in the regular season and then didnt get played at all in the playoffs for no good reason other than Maurice likes Little's crappy game.

Reactions: bernmeister

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020
I would love this return, but I'm not sure we could pry him away. That's the issue for me, after Vesalainen I think the drop off to Roslovic is too much. Is there middle grounds somewhere in there?
I think if you got roslovic and a first you robbed them....don't see them trading for him at 5 plus million a yr and I think next year his ntc or a nmc kicks in too...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad