Value of: Skjei to Habs

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Habs are also hot garbage, so I don't see how he could thrive here more then in NY. Habs Roster doesn't have much more talent vs NY, hence why trading a very young promising player for a bottom pairing D

Who is the bottom pairing D you are talking about?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
The Rangers team is struggling. I think Skjei's numbers reflect a team wide situation, not simply him declining.

I'd be more inclined to believe that if he stood out in a positive way, but that really isn't the case.

As it is, his only real strong season was his first full season, when he was getting somewhat sheltered and averaged under 18 minutes a night. He's almost 25 and hasn't shown he can play top-4 minutes consistently yet.

He has clear value, but if the cost is Suzuki + a good piece, I'd rather Montreal just work on their internal options.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
He is on the table IMO 'cause we have a glut of LD prospects and whether we move him now or later to reduce the logjam will depend on what offer is on the table.

this is a guy on a good contract, good term, good $, who is a great skater. Those are the obvious givens.
What is unclear is ability to apply skill, looks like McDonagh one night, not so much the next.

As an LD he does not have some added value RDs generally have due to shortage league wide.

However, a small number of teams are looking and you have to be the best bid among them.

Exact assets can change composition of compensation, but project it will be a 1st to start

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Skjei isn't a #1D. and hasn't prove he can be a #2-3 Either. Therefore, he's a 4-5-6 D
He sure proved it and more in the Playoffs in 2017 (also played well in the 2016 playoffs against the pens) Best Ranger on the ice on those 2017 playoffs. He played incredibly well in a hostile bell center. I would rather not give up on a young dman. In the right environment he could still be a very good top 3/4. Scary how some people give up on young dmen

Reactions: slg1963

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
He sure proved it and more in the Playoffs in 2017 (also played well in the 2016 playoffs against the pens) Best Ranger on the ice on those 2017 playoffs. He played incredibly well in a hostile bell center. I would rather not give up on a young dman. In the right environment he could still be a very good top 3/4. Scary how some people give up on young dmen

That was 2 years ago...

He has been trash ever since

donpaulo

Capt Barry Beck
May 19, 2003
nihon
www.billcorfield.com
I doubt Skjei is going anywhere. He has the longest term contract on the team.

He is clearly fighting it right now, but as long as he focuses on playing hockey and thinks the game less he should be fine.

If Montreal wants him, then they are going to pay through the nose to get him and I don't believe the Habs have anything NY wants other than picks to be totally honest about it.

Because their top few prospects are pretty much not available right habs fans ?

tradenashnow

Feb 17, 2018
That was 2 years ago...

He has been trash ever since

Typical, clueless, narrow minded thinking of a fan. Thus why fans aren't GM's. Young players, especially defenseman look a lot worse when they are on a team that is struggling because the vets are dogging it. Most of the Rangers vets know they are on the trading block and their attitude right now sucks. Skjei has played much better of late despite that. However, as one poster said, due to the glut the Rangers have on the left side, he might be available in the right deal. However, without question it would take a first and very good prospect. Otherwise, forget it.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
It's hard to Skjei what the Rangers would want in return but it would probably be a lot.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
The Rangers envision Skjei as McD jr. He plays 22 to 25 minutes a game.
He played over 25min last night,
While he may not yet be elite, he is a top 2 for the time being on this team.

Reactions: Heckler81

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Skei and Pionk are the least available D on NYR current NHL roster

Not saying untouchable,
but NYR would need to be overwhelmed, primarily with futures, to move Skjei

Lehkonen plus both recent 2d round Finn RHS F's (Ylonen, Ikonen) might tempt NYR,
but would Habs pay that much to upgrade?

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Skei and Pionk are the least available D on NYR current NHL roster

Not saying untouchable,
but NYR would need to be overwhelmed, primarily with futures, to move Skjei

Lehkonen plus both recent 2d round Finn RHS F's (Ylonen, Ikonen) might tempt NYR,
but would Habs pay that much to upgrade?
I would be tempted and I'm a Lehkonen fan. He was arguably our best player with Gallagher, Radulov and Weber when we played you guys in the playoffs a few years back and he's now on pace for about 40 pts (didn't double check). I would try to send over Ikonen and our 2 x 2nds in next year's draft. I don't think that's too far off either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad