Value of: Skjei to Habs

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
2 questions to NYR fans :

1) in what proportion is he available ?
2) What would it cost from Habs point of view?

Personnaly, i think a trade around him and Lehkonen would be logical. But maybe NYR looking more for picks, i don't know.

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010

Personnaly, i think a trade around him and Lehkonen would be logical. But maybe NYR looking more for picks, i don't know.

Didn't the rangers sign him long term last summer? Feel like he's probably a building block for them moving forward.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Didn't the rangers sign him long term last summer? Feel like he's probably a building block for them moving forward.

That's what i logically think but i have seen a lot of NYR fans posts saying he is disponible, like every other NYR Dmen. So that's why i'm asking for NYR fans about it.

Thanks for your opinion.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I don't know that the Rangers are going to make Skjei an untouchable. If they moved him for futures, I am fairly certain they would want to start with Suzuki, who they were very high on during his draft year. A pick figures in as well. Hard to say though. It's a guy the Rangers don't have to move, and I have no idea what Montreal has either.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
He CAN be a building block, so you would have to overpay to get him, nyr doesnt have to deal him and eventually he can be a fine #2-3.

my guess, is it'll cost you top prospect and a first rounder , its a good contract

Reactions: bl02

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
I don't know that the Rangers are going to make Skjei an untouchable. If they moved him for futures, I am fairly certain they would want to start with Suzuki, who they were very high on during his draft year. A pick figures in as well. Hard to say though. It's a guy the Rangers don't have to move, and I have no idea what Montreal has either.

I would be interested in a deal between Suzuki and Skjei. I would agree to add Habs 3rd or Columbus 2nd.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
He CAN be a building block, so you would have to overpay to get him, nyr doesnt have to deal him and eventually he can be a fine #2-3.

my guess, is it'll cost you top prospect and a first rounder , its a good contract

Thanks for your input.

That being said, it is an absolute no for me to add our first (most likely middle round) to a prospect like Suzuki or Brook. We could get a better D with our 2019 1st pick and i think Brook has also great NHL potential.

I would go as far as Suzuki + Columbus 2019 2nd and maybe add a later round pick but not more than that.

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018

Lol, that is a downright atrocious base to a trade. Skjei is a good young d-man and lehkonen will be at best a middling middle six player who also has never hit 30 points.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Lol, that is a downright atrocious base to a trade. Skjei is a good young d-man and lehkonen will be at best a middling middle six player who also has never hit 30 points.

Off course Habs would have to add. But your evaluation is biaised. Other way to see it is Skjei is 2 years older, trending down production wise and have a 5,25M$ contract. Lehkonen is trending up production wise, will hit 40 pts with almost no pp time and is one of our best two-way forward. Will probably sign 3M$/per long term contract.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
I would rather keep Lehkonen if we're making a push. Suzuki+ for Skjei would definitely interest me.

Reactions: Benstheman

habsgirl5000

Jul 15, 2017
would take a severe over payment from us,

but never doubt MB if he gets desperate enough,

but i cant really see MB pulling a trade like this off, even if he does over pay

NYR would probably start by asking for Kotka+ or Suzuki+ and thats where the conversation would end

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
would take a severe over payment from us,

but never doubt MB if he gets desperate enough,

but i cant really see MB pulling a trade like this off, even if he does over pay

NYR would probably start by asking for Kotka+ or Suzuki+ and thats where the conversation would end

Thanks.

If they ask for Kotkaniemi alone, it's a big no from us off course and AINEC. Suzuki + is another story for me. I don't see him as a center in the NHL and our wings are stacked right now. Wouldn't add a 1st to Suzuki though. Suzuki + 2nd is fair IMO and might interest NYR.

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
as a ranger fan i wouldnt expect montreal to deal kotkaniemi for skjei.

what are the internal opinions on mete and juulsen right now, could they be had in a deal?
nyr two biggest needs (in my opinion) are still scoring wingers and defense

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
My guess is
Suzuki + our first top 10 protected
For
Skjei + 3rd/4th/5th depending on where our first is.
Or something along those lines, if we can sign a good UFA forward I'd do it.

Reactions: Midikem

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Just take him. Give us an IOU.

If the offer was a first, plus a really good prospect, he's all yours. I just don't think he's going to be much of a fit for the Rangers going forward. I think we want to push him as a top defender, but he's not #1, or #2.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Eh, I'd rather Montreal didn't pay the apparent asking price for Skjei. He's really struggled the last couple of seasons and he wont be cheap either.

Reactions: Kudo Shinichi

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I wouldn’t mind moving him but right now I don’t think we want to just because of how the defense would look like
If our D prospects pan out then he’d be moved

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014

Las thing the Habs need is to trade a very promising top6 forward for yet another 4-5-6 D

If Skjei was a surfire top3 D we could talk, but it's not the case

Reactions: Mike Dukarm

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Las thing the Habs need is to trade a very promising top6 forward for yet another 4-5-6 D

If Skjei was a surfire top3 D we could talk, but it's not the case

So, an unproven kid is a top 6 F, but a 3rd year D, who has done nothing but play top/2nd pairing is barely a 4?
Okey Dokey.

Reactions: bl02

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
So, an unproven kid is a top 6 F, but a 3rd year D, who has done nothing but play top/2nd pairing is barely a 4?
Okey Dokey.

Could you read correctly please? I said a PROMISING top6 F cause we all know Suzuki will either be top6 or bust he's not suited for bottom 6 duty.

We'd rather keep our young bluechipper then trade them away for another 4-5-6D which we have more then enough of! Skjei has been playing top4 role and has been very bad at it for the past 2 years. Therefore, as long as he can't prove he can't handle such workload, he's considered a bottom pairing option.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Could you read correctly please? I said a PROMISING top6 F cause we all know Suzuki will either be top6 or bust he's not suited for bottom 6 duty.

We'd rather keep our young bluechipper then trade them away for another 4-5-6D which we have more then enough of! Skjei has been playing top4 role and has been very bad at it for the past 2 years. Therefore, as long as he can't prove he can't handle such workload, he's considered a bottom pairing option.

Skjei hasn't been his best, but keep in mind that the Rangers are hot garbage. Sans a few players and youngsters with very little experience, they are bereft of talent. Any player will not look very good in that situation.
But, its doubtful the Rangers would trade him for an unknown, so no need to worry.

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
Skjei hasn't been his best, but keep in mind that the Rangers are hot garbage. Sans a few players and youngsters with very little experience, they are bereft of talent. Any player will not look very good in that situation.
But, its doubtful the Rangers would trade him for an unknown, so no need to worry.

Habs are also hot garbage, so I don't see how he could thrive here more then in NY. Habs Roster doesn't have much more talent vs NY, hence why trading a very young promising player for a bottom pairing D

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Skjei could end up being a similar player to Petry with good coaching and if put in the right situation.
But, I wouldn't give Suzuki + for him. I wouldn't want to deal for him now or until the trade deadline. I would wait for the summer for that type of deal. If we end up making the playoffs and pick around 20, I might consider trader our 1st for him. I personnally don't think he has much more value then a 1st around 18-25.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad