Proposal: Skinner to SJ

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If Skinner did wave, which he wouldn't, it would only happen because Adams had a whale on the line which is almost as unlikely as Skinner waiving

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
If you describe him that way, sure.

On the other hand, a 45 point soft winger who makes $9M per year for three more years, provides no value at all outside of scoring, has known effort concerns and isn’t a leader, and is turning 32 in a couple days absolutely does cost 11th overall to move.

Toronto had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau, who was only making $6M for one year. And Skinner’s buyout looks horrible.

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Skinner around our kids? This isn’t the type of vet you bring in to set an example for your teenage future stars. The only way I’d do this is if both Celebrini and Smith are doing another year in the NCAA, and then I’d bite the bullet and buy Skinner out next summer.
The bolded should always be concerning....especially if he's a stranger in the locker room...

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Am I the only one who doesn’t want Skinner around our kids? This isn’t the type of vet you bring in to set an example for your teenage future stars.

No - I agree with you 100%.

Grier has done a tremendous job of removing players like this from our contract pool. This would be dismal, even for 11oa - would set an awful precedent.
Sets the rebuild back heavily. At this point, only pieces which are part of the solution should be considered in building this back up, short or long term.

Thorton02

Feb 6, 2009
Doesn't Skinner almost always rebound after having a brutal year? The whole team should get a lift from Lindy's new system. I expect him back towards 30 goals next year and next offseason is when you move him out. If we need to include our 1OA, then it'll probably be closer to 16-20 and not 11OA.

Reactions: Jacob582

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
No - I agree with you 100%.

Grier has done a tremendous job of removing players like this from our contract pool. This would be dismal, even for 11oa - would set an awful precedent.
Sets the rebuild back heavily. At this point, only pieces which are part of the solution should be considered in building this back up, short or long term.
You could survive it if it was just 1 year, but 3, even for $22 mill in real cash vs the $27 mill in cap space, probably not. But, it's going to be difficult for SJ to add quality veterans without overpaying either in real money/cap hit or term. Going to be another rough year in SJ. I mean they were almost 30 points in back of 5OA worst Montreal. That's a lot of ground to make up to get out of the bottom 5, so it should be another down year next season for them.

Grier has to figure out how to add assets, but ensure any kids on the roster develop.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I have never been a Skinner fan from the Carolina days. A one dimensional low effort, high dollar player. It doesn't sound like there is any immediate need for Buffalo to move him. At least cap wise.

If Skinner's cap hit is really the only concern, keep him and hope for rebound. If no rebound, buying him out in 2025 is not the most painful thing Buffalo could do. Pegula has spent more on worse. Use that 11thOA pick to improve the team immediately in a trade.

I don't like the trade for San Jose because is Skinner really the ideal veteran leader for the Sharks to target? IMO they already have a pretty good leader/mentor with Mikael Granlund. He understands the ice sheet is 200', and I'd like for him to find a hockey home. His game I have time for.

Basically Skinner's entire career has been on poor teams. Carolina was on the upswing when he was traded to the basement Sabres. Now Buffalo is on the upswing (they are) and he'd go another team early in the rebuild stage? Can't see a reality where Jeff waives.

So as far as the thread premise goes. Buffalo and Skinner say no. SJ probably still would for that cool 11thOA. Maybe Grier thinking he can pull a Kent Hughes at the TDL.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Jeff Skinner says no because he probably wants to play playoff games at some point and SJ is YEARS away

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
SJS:
Jeff Skinner w/ no retention + 11OA

BUF:
Future considerations

Who says no?
Buffalo says no...end thread right?

I have never been a Skinner fan from the Carolina days. A one dimensional low effort, high dollar player. It doesn't sound like there is any immediate need for Buffalo to move him. At least cap wise.

If Skinner's cap hit is really the only concern, keep him and hope for rebound. If no rebound, buying him out in 2025 is not the most painful thing Buffalo could do. Pegula has spent more on worse. Use that 11thOA pick to improve the team immediately in a trade.

I don't like the trade for San Jose because is Skinner really the ideal veteran leader for the Sharks to target? IMO they already have a pretty good leader/mentor with Mikael Granlund. He understands the ice sheet is 200', and I'd like for him to find a hockey home. His game I have time for.

Basically Skinner's entire career has been on poor teams. Carolina was on the upswing when he was traded to the basement Sabres. Now Buffalo is on the upswing (they are) and he'd go another team early in the rebuild stage? Can't see a reality where Jeff waives.

So as far as the thread premise goes. Buffalo and Skinner say no. SJ probably still would for that cool 11thOA. Maybe Grier thinking he can Kent Hughes him at the TDL.
Plus Olofsson and his $4.7 million is off the books now so the Sabers can live with a bad contract Skinner most teams have the same problem.

Reactions: Marlowe Syn

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Not to be a dick, but if he really wanted to play playoff games, he probably wouldn’t have signed with the Sabres. He signed with the Sabres because they’re close to home.

I mean they had Jack Eichel at the time maybe he thought he could be the piece Buffalo needed.

Also 81 million is VERY convincing

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
Buffalo has 3 retained contracts remaining, with only Skinner's long term contract to worry about right now. They'd get value at retaining 50% while still providing them some cap crunch if needed. There's absolutely no reason to trade away the 11th overall pick.

Reactions: Chainshot

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Buffalo would just say "if you don't waive your NMC for this trade, you'll be buried in the AHL for the remainder of the contract", and that'll be that.

that’s not how NMCs work. If Skinner doesn’t want to waive, Buffalo’s only other option is buying him out. But, as has been pointed out a number of times already in this thread, the Sabres have no reason to be that desperate to get rid of him right now.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If you describe him that way, sure.

On the other hand, a 45 point soft winger who makes $9M per year for three more years, provides no value at all outside of scoring, has known effort concerns and isn’t a leader, and is turning 32 in a couple days absolutely does cost 11th overall to move.

Toronto had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau, who was only making $6M for one year. And Skinner’s buyout looks horrible.

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Skinner around our kids? This isn’t the type of vet you bring in to set an example for your teenage future stars. The only way I’d do this is if both Celebrini and Smith are doing another year in the NCAA, and then I’d bite the bullet and buy Skinner out next summer.
You seem dehydrated..

Screenshot_20240514_224228_Google.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad