Proposal: Skinner to SJ

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Can a mod clarify the title, I thought it was Stuart Skinner and was so confused.

That being said, 3 years at 9M for his current production probably costs more than just #11 to get rid of him.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
More context on Sharks :

This upcoming year I don't see adding Skinner as a big cap problem.

Year 2 is what I would be looking hard at.

Year 3 is no issue with Vlasic's contract gone and the cap having gone up to close to $100 million by then.

WhereAreTheCookies

Feb 16, 2022
Top Shelf
SJS:
Jeff Skinner w/ no retention + 11OA

BUF:
Future considerations

Who says no?
Buffalo says no, and so does Skinner. He has a full NMC and likely isn't waiving unless it's for Toronto due to proximity to his family. Buffalo also isn't in a cap crunch and therefore has no need to pay someone to take the contract.

They've probably gotten 6 million or so in value from him the past 3 seasons, so while overpaid he's still been producing. worst case they buyout his final year, but even then they can probably just ride out the remainder of his contract without issue.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I think San Jose should take that deal.

I don't see why Buffalo does it. They don't need to dump Skinner. Not yet anyways. He'd a good but overpaid player but they aren't in a big cap crunch yet. Possible that they won't need to dump him ever. UFA 2027.
Yeah this is sensible from the teams involved. Skinner would never want to play on the sharks next year considering Big Willy and Celebrini are probably going back to school.

Props to OP for a trade that would never happen but is at least fair

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
There's no reason for Buffalo to do this so soon. Worst case - do it after next year, and the cost to unload will be less.

Reactions: freester

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Uhmm... Yes. Yes I would accept. Would Buffalo do it though?

No. I can’t imagine them trading the 11th overall just to get rid of a contract that isn’t actually hurting us because we aren’t capped out.

Also Skinner has a full NMC, and even the Sabres don’t say not, he for sure does. He’s an Ontario native and has been very clear that being close to home is important to him.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
No. I can’t imagine them trading the 11th overall just to get rid of a contract that isn’t actually hurting us because we aren’t capped out.

Also Skinner has a full NMC, and even the Sabres don’t say not, he for sure does. He’s an Ontario native and has been very clear that being close to home is important to him.
Yep, thought so. I don't see the rationale for Buffalo, but a man can hope!

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Skinner has shown that he can rebound after a poor season. I lean towards keeping him one more season then buying him out. Unless Ruff feels he can't make it work.

Teammates seem to love Jeff, but they may be at the point where they despise his effort.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
He has a NMC
Lets assume he waives it for the purpose of the thread. Use your imagination.

If Buffalo wants to get any high end talent they would also need players to waive.

These things do happen.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't see our GM giving a 1st round draft pick, but I like the idea of getting rid of Skinner at some point.

I think a trade attempt needs to be at the point where you are also willing to buy him out. If you like the trade then you ask Skinner to waive. If he says no, then you buy him out.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
A 31 year old 30+ goal scorer at 8m with 3 years left wouldn’t require an 11th overall pick to get rid of. Terrible for Buffalo and SJ would and should easily take this.

Reactions: Chainshot

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A 31 year old 30+ goal scorer at 8m with 3 years left wouldn’t require an 11th overall pick to get rid of. Terrible for Buffalo and SJ would and should easily take this.
If you describe him that way, sure.

On the other hand, a 45 point soft winger who makes $9M per year for three more years, provides no value at all outside of scoring, has known effort concerns and isn’t a leader, and is turning 32 in a couple days absolutely does cost 11th overall to move.

Toronto had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau, who was only making $6M for one year. And Skinner’s buyout looks horrible.

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Skinner around our kids? This isn’t the type of vet you bring in to set an example for your teenage future stars. The only way I’d do this is if both Celebrini and Smith are doing another year in the NCAA, and then I’d bite the bullet and buy Skinner out next summer.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
If you describe him that way, sure.

On the other hand, a 45 point soft winger who makes $9M per year for three more years, provides no value at all outside of scoring, has known effort concerns and isn’t a leader, and is turning 32 in a couple days absolutely does cost 11th overall to move.

Toronto had to give up a 1st to dump Marleau, who was only making $6M for one year. And Skinner’s buyout looks horrible.

Am I the only one who doesn’t want Skinner around our kids? This isn’t the type of vet you bring in to set an example for your teenage future stars. The only way I’d do this is if both Celebrini and Smith are doing another year in the NCAA, and then I’d bite the bullet and buy Skinner out next summer.
If the trade lands SJ 11OA, I think it's worth it. Can always figure something out with Skinner later (even with that terrible buyout).

Reactions: themelkman

Grinner

May 31, 2022
If the trade lands SJ 11OA, I think it's worth it. Can always figure something out with Skinner later (even with that terrible buyout).
Letting Skinner know up front that we'd just buy him out, just might get him to wave any non trade/ movement clause.

If that's legal

Last edited:
Reactions: DG93

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad