Skinner: Looking back at this off season....

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedevil58*

Can anyone honestly disagree that we should have traded him while he still had value? This kid was overpaid at a very young age and clearly cannot stay healthy. Another bad contract to add to the list. He is one concussion away from ending his career. Just another goose egg that JR has dropped. What say you? Discuss!

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
There's never a right time to trade him.

In the offseason, his value is low because there's question about whether he can stay healthy. In the games where he's healthy, he's worth keeping around. And obviously, when he's injured, we can't trade him.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Skinner is 3 points off the team lead and hasn't played in 11 games. Who would create offense if you trade Skinner?

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Everyone is one concussion away from ending their career. But yes, a team averaging 1.86 goals per game can afford to give away its leading scorer for most of the year. That's what you wanted, right? Just to get him off the team? I mean, why would anyone else want to trade anything of value for someone on a bad contract who cannot stay healthy?

Swag Surf Aho

Find Your Own Style
Jul 2, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Our defense is holding up far better than expected. Nevertheless, our offense isn't living up to their expectations. Signing Skinner and even deciding not to trade him this past offseason was the right move.

Unless we're talking about the Skinner for Yakupov trade I proposed a while back...

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Damned if you do damned if you don't.

Trade him and you know he'll be healthy and score against us everytime.

Keep him and sure he'll get hurt but c'mon, this is the Hurricanes, all our important players get hurt at the worst times.

PaulProteus

****ing amaxing dman
Feb 6, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Can anyone honestly disagree that we should have traded him while he still had value? This kid was overpaid at a very young age and clearly cannot stay healthy. Another bad contract to add to the list. He is one concussion away from ending his career. Just another goose egg that JR has dropped. What say you? Discuss!

Using this thinking in our alt history fanfic threads we probably would have to trade Sidney Crosby if #87 were on the payroll of this organization. Not implying that Skinner = Crosby, but what are we going to do? Pretend like we should know how to trade away players because they might get hurt?

He appeared to be a maturing player prior to this hand/wrist business, and those injuries happen. If he hadn't gone down I doubt if these thoughts even cross anyone's mind.

Lazyking

Never Forget
Oct 15, 2011
Connecticut
I do think the Canes paid him too quickly, but then again, he's still quite young and this latest injury is not a concussion.

I think the team's problems do not really involve skinner. Frankly, he's not the captain of this team or the GM. Skinner is probably one of the few guys I would hang onto or teams would jump to get from us.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
By all means, let us relive the Justin Williams trade over again with a younger and more talented player. Willy would probably STILL be here producing if we hadn't given up on him. He liked it here. Not saying it was a "bad" move at the time, but that's sort of like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Nothing has changed since Williams left. We still have a horrible injury recovery record.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

Using this logic, we should have traded Staal after his initial instant impact season only produced 11 goals. Not to mention that he's advocating trading our 2nd leading scorer who is STILL the 2nd leading scorer after missing 8-10 gms...

Last edited by a moderator:

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Can anyone honestly disagree that we should have traded him while he still had value?

That reminds me...does Time Warner Cable now have feature to hide certain channels from their guide, or do you still have to wade through their entire available lineup when browsing? No longer having to see undesired channels in the guide was definitely a huge benefit of switching to U-verse.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
That reminds me...does Time Warner Cable now have feature to hide certain channels from their guide, or do you still have to wade through their entire available lineup when browsing? No longer having to see undesired channels in the guide was definitely a huge benefit of switching to U-verse.

Never change.

TheBigKahuna

Dec 6, 2010
Canes Country
I'd rather trade both Staals, than Skinner. A healthy pair of Staals isn't producing enough more than an injured Skinner to warrant the $14m in salary.

Anton Babchuk

Nov 3, 2005
Raleigh-Durham
twitter.com
If JR could have received good value, like say Keith Yandle in return, then yes.

If it was the typical JR trade, such as Jeff Skinner with 1/3rd of his salary retained+Westgarth+Rask+2nd for Erik Cole, then no.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
It would've been stupid to trade him. Still is. He's our best offensive player. He's still a kid so it's difficult to label him "injury prone". You have to fill in as an adult. Look at Ladd now. People thought he was "injury prone". He thought he was supposed to be an nhl power forward at 19, because we told him to be. Now that he's filled in better he has no problems with that.

Not saying skinner with ever be a power forward, just it's too soon to label him anything other than an impressive offensive talent that's still raw.

There's a good chance we won't ever regret not trading him for a Yandle. I wouldn't ever assume Phoenix would've done that trade anyway. That was our speculation, not really ever confirmed to be a possibility.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Given his two concussions in two years, it's absurd they didn't see this wrist injury coming.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
By all means, let us relive the Justin Williams trade over again with a younger and more talented player. Willy would probably STILL be here producing if we hadn't given up on him. He liked it here. Not saying it was a "bad" move at the time, but that's sort of like throwing out the baby with the bath water. Nothing has changed since Williams left. We still have a horrible injury recovery record.
Imagine if we still have Williams around here. Legit second line winger with good offensive touch and above average two-way game.

Tlusty- EStaal- Semin
Gerbe- JStaal- Wiliams - that's looks like a real good second line
Skinner- Nash- Ruutu
Bowman- Malhotra- Dwyer

Healthy Pitkanen in that scenario would be ideal, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad