Skilled forwards lead the way in Calgary Flames' Top 20 update

HF Article

Nov 16, 2005

The Calgary Flames' talent pool has good depth but will need a better development plan in order to have success getting their prospects to the NHL level. The Abbotsford Heat and the Calgary Flames need to use the same systems in order to make the transition between the levels more seamless for their young prospects. With the NHL team's playoff hopes fading as each week passes, the organization might have some very difficult decisions to make that could bring more high-end prospects and draft selections to Calgary.

Christopher Breen, Ryan Culkin, and Brady Lamb are all new to the rankings while some prospects like Tyler Wotherspoon, Patrick Sieloff, Laurent Brossoit, Jon Gillies, and Paul Byron made big moves up the list.… read more

More...

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
Beautiful article and agree that Baertschi should be first line. I think he adapts to whatever style of player his line mates are. Sven, Gaudreau and Janko could be a lethal line in a few years but then a again, they could be in the AHL

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Aside from the goalies, this is still a pretty weak prospect pool. Hopefully we manage to pick up some assets in a week or two (draft picks or prospects). One of MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, or Monohan should also be a big boost going forward.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
We really only have 3 top 6 prospects, Baertschi, Graudreau, and Jankowski. Reinhart might become a top 6 player but is more likely to be a top 3rd line center than a 2nd line center. We have lots of bottom 6 prospects but I really wouldn't say we are lead by skilled forwards, hopefully we can get Barkov this year and a few more skilled forwards but as of right now we have a decent prospect pool but nothing overly special.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Beautiful article and agree that Baertschi should be first line. I think he adapts to whatever style of player his line mates are. Sven, Gaudreau and Janko could be a lethal line in a few years but then a again, they could be in the AHL

I personally would never have Sven and JG play together (in a perfect world where they both develop properly). Even with a big center, that'd be a munchkin wing set lol.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I just want to add something:

Calgary's got two 8.0s from HF! Holy smokes!?!

tyflames

Jul 4, 2010
Aside from the goalies, this is still a pretty weak prospect pool. Hopefully we manage to pick up some assets in a week or two (draft picks or prospects). One of MacKinnon, Jones, Barkov, Drouin, Lindholm, or Monohan should also be a big boost going forward.

A top 5 pick this year, and possibly depending on if deals are made another first round pick, and also potentially another good draft pick next year will go a long way in helping our prospect pool

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
A top 5 pick this year, and possibly depending on if deals are made another first round pick, and also potentially another good draft pick next year will go a long way in helping our prospect pool

No 2nd round pick this year hurts though, especially as the Flames' pick would essentially have been a late first.

Trae

Calgary
Was hoping Kulak would sneak in late, next time!

Edit: Deblouw, too!

Last edited:

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Thanks everyone for your comments. It's appreciated and I am glad that you read my articles. Here's the players just off the list and not mentioned in the HM for the article. Just my views.

The prospects just out of the Top 20 list are just missing a few things in their overall games compared to the others.

21. (20) Akim Aliu, RW, 6.5C
Aliu has struggled to stay healthy and isn't the same player that he was at the end of last season. He's not playing as physical nor is he driving the net since the start of the season, trying too much to be a shooter. The big winger's time is running out with the Flames and hasn't impressed this year so far but there's still the second half.

22. James Martin, D, 6.5C
He's younger than Lamb but needs to remain healthy and stay at the AHL level. He has the tools just needs to start putting it all together at the pro level on a more consistent basis.

23. Brett Kulak, D, 6.5D
Kulak needs to get bigger and more physical in the defensive zone but is a good puck mover and controls the power play. He's on the worst team in the WHL, Vancouver Giants so his overall play is harder to assess and his team needs all of his offense to have a chance in games.

24. Coda Gordon, LW, 6.5D
Gordon has become a playmaker on his team's top line but it’s mostly from his excellent board play and driving to the net. He can score and has good hands but isn't mean or physical enough at this time. His skating will be an issue for him going forward if he doesn't get power skating help to improve balance, speed and acceleration. He has poor technique and isn't striding properly but it's all fixable with the right help.

25. Matt Deblouw, C, (6.0C should move up by next rating)
Deblouw has played well for a weak Michigan State as a freshman and has contributed to some of the teams wins. He could be a better overall player with three more years of development at the NCAA level.

I think the Flames need to make some important changes to their AHL level development program. The system played by the Abbotsford Heat isn't the same as the Flames' one and it's causing the call-ups to have to think too much about where to go and what they are doing instead of coming up and play exactly the same system and just naturally reacting to the game. The jump in speed at the NHL level is hard enough without have to think about what system the coach likes. The call-ups confidence will grow more quickly using the same system in both places and they will be more successful.

There has to be more emphasis put on the development of the organization's drafted prospects over career AHL players. If the player was a top line forward in junior then playing four line minutes will only hurt his confidence if he doesn't know how to play that grinding style. Development has to be more important than winning and the prospects have to learn from their mistakes down in the minors so that they make less dramatic mistakes at the higher level in the NHL where the stakes are much bigger.

I think Calgary is a little late on making their re-build if they do it this year. Should have done it two years ago and you would be seeing the results already. It is possible to do a partial re-build now and have a better chance in the next few years to make the playoffs again. The Senators did it by re-builting through their prospects and the draft. It's time for Calgary to follow suit and draft better then develop them in their system to get to the NHL. Too many draft pick for the Flames over the last 10 years aren't making it to the NHL with Calgary and have been traded away. Time to make those changes and be a successful franchise again.

Just my opinions. Thanks again for reading my articles and your nice comments!:cheers:

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
I think the Flames need to make some important changes to their AHL level development program. The system played by the Abbotsford Heat isn't the same as the Flames' one and it's causing the call-ups to have to think too much about where to go and what they are doing instead of coming up and play exactly the same system and just naturally reacting to the game. The jump in speed at the NHL level is hard enough without have to think about what system the coach likes. The call-ups confidence will grow more quickly using the same system in both places and they will be more successful.

I've always been under the impression that the Flames and Heat play almost the exact same system for this very reason (less adjustment for callups). The coaches in Calgary even went down to Abbotsford to work with Troy Ward and to make sure everyone is on the same page.

There has to be more emphasis put on the development of the organization's drafted prospects over career AHL players. If the player was a top line forward in junior then playing four line minutes will only hurt his confidence if he doesn't know how to play that grinding style. Development has to be more important than winning and the prospects have to learn from their mistakes down in the minors so that they make less dramatic mistakes at the higher level in the NHL where the stakes are much bigger.

Completely agree and this is one of the major pitfalls with this organization. There is way too much emphasis on winning at the AHL level (and they're not even doing hat). Ward to me is pretty overrated as a coach and his reluctance to put prospects in front line positions has me a little miffed. Reinhart was buried on the fourth line for the longest time. Irving never even had a chance behind Brust and Taylor. I actually though Ferland played pretty well all things considered but he got sent down to the ECHL and eventually chose to return to juniour.

Same deal with the big club. Baertschi and Horak never got more than a sniff. And the veterans that were picked over them have contributed almost nothing. This organization doesn't seem to be committed to winning or developing prospects.

I think Calgary is a little late on making their re-build if they do it this year. Should have done it two years ago and you would be seeing the results already. It is possible to do a partial re-build now and have a better chance in the next few years to make the playoffs again. The Senators did it by re-builting through their prospects and the draft. It's time for Calgary to follow suit and draft better then develop them in their system to get to the NHL. Too many draft pick for the Flames over the last 10 years aren't making it to the NHL with Calgary and have been traded away. Time to make those changes and be a successful franchise again.

Agreed, the time to rebuild was a couple years ago. Pretty much everyone predicted the Flames to be in the position they are now. The quality of our draft picks haven't been great but the fact the Flames give away 2nd round picks (not to mention routinely trading down with their first) has left our prospect pretty much devoid of high end talent (outside of Baertschi and Gaudreau).

2nd rounder to get rid of Primeau, 2nd rounder to get rid of Kotalik. The organization thinks every mistake they make can be patched with a second round pick.

MC Ride

Feels bad man
Feb 4, 2009
" He is a clutch goal scorer that plays like a greased watermelon, the opposition thinks they have him but he just slips out of their grasp." :D

David Thicke

May 6, 2011
Montreal, QC
Thanks Guys! It was the only way I could best describe his elusive abilities with the puck.

Thank you for read the article and making comments on the boards. It's really appreciated.:cheers:

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
So, where do Hanowski and Agostino fit in our top 20. I have both of these guys being about as valuable as Bill Arnold so maybe just inside the top ten?

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Sounds like we'll get to see Hanowski very soon, his NCAA career is coming to an end as son as they're eliminated and he will be free to sign a contract.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
So, where do Hanowski and Agostino fit in our top 20. I have both of these guys being about as valuable as Bill Arnold so maybe just inside the top ten?
Nope.

I'd pencil in Hanowski just behind Jankowski. Agostino probably just ahead of Arnold.

Both easily in the Flames top ten, and still there after the draft unless several more 1st round picks are added via trades in the next 5 days or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad