Skill is our problem

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
I agree that there are times that it looks like the effort is lacking, but let's face it - - the main problem is the lack of enough average to high quality players. Look at Fantasy Hockey player ratings and you'll see my argument.

Compare us to someone like the Flyers - also seemingly "under-achieving".

Non goalie player rankings (Bob is #38 overall) have Gaborik at 57 and Cam at 168. JMFJ is 172, Dub is 181 and Wiz is 198.

So our second best player is # 168. The pure math has it that most teams have 4 non-goalie players in the top 150 and we have one.

The Flyers have #9, #51, #88, #94, #95, #134, #149.

Chicago has 8, 10, 44 & 45 - all before Gaborik.

I know…blah blah blah.

The bottom line is that a minor league team can put forth an exceptional effort and still get beat by more skill.

We just do not have enough above-average players on our team.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I agree that there are times that it looks like the effort is lacking, but let's face it - - the main problem is the lack of enough average to high quality players. Look at Fantasy Hockey player ratings and you'll see my argument.

Non goalie player rankings (Bob is #38 overall) have Gaborik at 57 and Cam at 168. JMFJ is 172, Dub is 181 and Wiz is 198.

So our second best player is # 168. The pure math has it that most teams have 4 non-goalie players in the top 150 and we have one.

I know…blah blah blah.

The bottom line is that a minor league team can put forth an exceptional effort and still get beat by more skill.

Eh. We're the 2nd youngest team in the league, and we are missing half of our top 6. That is our problem. Murray and Johansen have been our best players and there not even on there.

hardkorejackets

Nov 6, 2013
Coldwater, OH
I have to agree that we just don't have the skill on this team, and I thought that was the case last year as well. Another problem is the multitude of bad contracts on this team from a performance standpoint from both the Howson and Jarmo organizations. I honestly think we need to find our identity and start a minor rebuild of the organization once again. As for the positives, it is nice to see Johansen and Murray step up this year as key players. If Johansen can start putting more pucks in the back of the net, even better.

Robert

Foligno family
Mar 9, 2006
Louisville, KY
Technically, Gaborik is one of the most skilled players to ever play the game yet hasn't scored a single goal in this losing streak... it's more than skill.. I've been reading how the CBJ don't have skill for 13 years, they better learn how to win without skill then because if the past is an indicator of the future they'll never have skill.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I know…blah blah blah.

You're overstating it. Those player rankings always underrate younger teams.

But its true we aren't a particularly skilled team and we have a thin margin to win.

JrussJacket

May 26, 2004
Twitter @jrusscbj
Meh...Do we lack some high end talent? Absolutely! But it certainly is not the soul reason we are on this loosing streak.

Right now, IMO, its a matter of heart and determination.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Meh...Do we lack some high end talent? Absolutely! But it certainly is not the soul reason we are on this loosing streak.

Right now, IMO, its a matter of heart and determination.

Interesting choice of spelling.... ;) that's what I think we need to look into, our soul as a team.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Why do Jacket fans always come to the defense of the team when someone mentions that we have no skill? Or a trade is proposed? I for the life of me can't figure it out.

Sure some of the guys have some skill but none of the guys have write home about it skill. And I think that some of the guys have just the minimum amount of skill required to play in the NHL.

Put another way, if the league threw all roster players into the pot and re-drafted a team who & when do you think would be the first Jacket taken? It would be a while in my opinion.

This team was successful last year because they played the grind it out, hard checking game to almost perfection and Bob played out of his mind. Skill had minimal impact on the late surge.

Some of the guys (Murray, Joey, maybe Cam,Bob) have the potential to develop their games and to be thought of as skill players. The rest? Not so much.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm just tired of players coming here and underperforming as if it's ok just because it's Columbus.

After years of "this guy has a lot of skill... ok nevermind..." it's hard not to start taking it personally.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Why do Jacket fans always come to the defense of the team when someone mentions that we have no skill? Or a trade is proposed? I for the life of me can't figure it out.

I'm not seeing anyone denying we're short of skill. The real disagreement is over what to do about it.

1) Rebuild. Trade away current talent for picks and aim for the basement.

2) Make lateral trades from hardworking guys to talent guys. Think Dubinsky for Hemsky+.

Neither of these kind of programs are appealing right now.

gocbj

Aug 3, 2007
C9
I bet we lead the league in occasions where the opposing team starts their #2 goalie. Even the opposition knows that they can probably win with their second best...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Meh, tired of this argument. Yes, we need more top end skill. Guess what? You are going to have to wait for it to develop.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
Comparing fantasy rankings to direct results on the ice is a poor analogy at best ... but the argument against it is heavily fortified when you use the Flyers as a base comparison; a team that is 5-10-1, sitting one point behind us in the standings.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Nights like tonight make me shake my head at threads like this. So we don't have marquee names. Dubinsky was right, the team tried tonight, they gave the type of effort they did last season. They forechecked. They made a goal of winning more puck battles and accomplished it. They executed the powerplay. They had that desire that they showed so much last season. Sure they may not be the most talented guys and they're going to have to work harder for their points, but tonight sets precedent. Tonight shows that they can play at that level and there shouldn't be any more excuses from here on out.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Tonight shows that they can play at that level and there shouldn't be any more excuses from here on out.

Except there will be.

We have players who CAN score, sure, but we don't have any players who are EXPECTED to score each night. I'd like for there to be fewer question marks about where goals are going to come from. Some players (Johansen, Atkinson, Jenner) are still a bit young to rely on extensively. Others (Dubinsky, Anisimov, Umberger, Foligno) just aren't those types of players. They're good middle-six guys who bring grit and some scoring, but they're not All-Stars who you expect to carry the team every night.

Gaborik is good and so too is Horton. Hopefully Gabby can get back on track and hopefully Horton isn't set back by his injury and takes well to the team. That said, I think they're still missing someone from that upper level tier and would like to see an addition be made.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad