Skating backwards

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
In a scrimmage I was skating backwards to mach an opponent and skated into a D. He gave me an earful, said I should have been looking behind. Is that true? I’ve never seen anyone looking behind while backwards defending. I assumed it’s up to other players to be alert.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
You should be aware of where your coverage is, kinda.

If you're a Forward, unless you're covering for a D-man that's pinched up, you shouldn't be skating backwards for too long. You should pressure him into the outside and slow him down if possible for your D-men to have a better angle and easier time.

Reactions: Fixxer and LeifUK

DJnet65

Aug 29, 2005
San Jose, CA
So I assume you are playing forward and that your opponent is carrying the puck. Also that he is either carrying the puck through the neutral zone or defensive zone.

First off I'll say that looking behind you when skating backwards during a game is impractical. As forward though you should not be playing defensively. In the neutral zone and just inside the blue line you should play absolutely as aggressive as possible. This will slow them down through the neutral zone and disrupt their timing on zone entries. Attacking the puck carrier can generate a defensive blue line turn overs which lead to transition rushes.

Let the defenseman play defense forwards rush the puck carrier.

Reactions: DaveG

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Agree with DJnet. It sounds like you're a forward, if that's the case, then don't skate backwards in the neutral zone on the rush. Skate forward and force them to the boards at an angle. It takes away time and space more effective than allowing a rush up-ice while skating backwards.

Either way, always know where you are when skating backyards. Depending on the level of play, system, or the style, d-men usually step up at the blue or the top of the circles. They don't see the blue line in front of them and then step up. They have their head on a swivel and know exactly where they are on the ice.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks all, yes I play forward although in some scrimmages I will do some D due to lack of D men. I don’t often go backwards as a forward but if I tackle an oncoming opponent who is any good and moving at speed, they’ll go right past me in seconds, so going backwards is a way to force them to the boards.

The player I referred to is a poor skater/player even by my modest standards, but always in the A team.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Why are you skating backwards in a straight line? If you're doing cross overs to match the oncoming forwards speed, you should be inherently be going in a zig zag direction whilst keeping him on the outside of the play, your peripherals should help you identify incoming traffic.....

once you get close enough to your defenceman (not sure why he's close enough to you bump into you) either he'll call you off to pick up your defenceman or he'll get out of the way so you can carry out your assignment.

MartinS82

May 26, 2016
First off, the d man in the OP is wrong. You shouldn't look behind you when skating backwards, and second, he should have seen what you were doing and adjusted accordingly.

BUT, unless it was an out numbered attack, you, as a foward should probably take a more agressive approach - especially since it sounds like you had support directly behind you. Turn and skate with the oncoming forward and either angle him to the outside or to your help - basically 2 on 1 him and take the puck.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
It's annoying for d-men to see their forwards backing up, and backing up, and backing up until they've backed up past their own d-men. If you're a forward, attack the opposing player and if he gets past you, that's why you have your d-men. If you're a forward, play forward, don't change your position and start playing D.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Dman should have communicated with you during the play, well before you skated into him.

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
Thanks all, yes I play forward although in some scrimmages I will do some D due to lack of D men. I don’t often go backwards as a forward but if I tackle an oncoming opponent who is any good and moving at speed, they’ll go right past me in seconds, so going backwards is a way to force them to the boards.

The player I referred to is a poor skater/player even by my modest standards, but always in the A team.

So were playing F or D? There's very few circumstances where a F should be skating backwards, perhaps only when a D is caught pinching and that F is now acting as a D on that side. But it doesn't sound like that's what happened to you.

Sounds like you probably should have passed off the offensive player you were backchecking to the defenseman and sagged back and looked for the trailer or late guy to cover.

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
Thanks all, point taken. In this case sounds like going forward would have been better.

Sometimes in our scrimmages there is no D behind me even though I’m neutral side of blue line, and in that case I play D and go backwards to force them to the boards. Not ideal!

Golden Puppers

Mar 20, 2019
It's annoying for d-men to see their forwards backing up, and backing up, and backing up until they've backed up past their own d-men. If you're a forward, attack the opposing player and if he gets past you, that's why you have your d-men. If you're a forward, play forward, don't change your position and start playing D.

Truth. Words can't express how infuriating this can be. I'd rather that forward step up and get beat then keep backing off and putting me in a bad spot and f***ing up my own gap control.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
The D man is dead wrong in this case. No one looks behind them, it's f***ing impossible and useless.

You probably did back up too much, so that's the thing to fix. It's tough, but I'd say halfway between the opponent's blue line and center ice is where you should be transitioning to skating forward, then trying to angle the guy off towards the boards. So from center to your own defensive blue line you'd be going forward.

Kinda unrelated, but make sure you give the D an angle/lane on breakouts as well. I was playing in a league a bit low for me, switched to D sometimes just to keep it interesting, and I was flabbergasted how much my linemates sucked at giving me space and opportunities. "Pass it up, break out!" Mike, you're 3 feet to my left and right in front of their center, I can't pass it to you. Move. Go. I have the puck, give me something to do with it. The offense was so worried about D that even when I had the puck and it was time to transition everyone was still flat footed in our own zone- not ideal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad