Equipment: SKATES - Buying Guide and Advice III

Status
Not open for further replies.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Hey all! I'm sorry I know this has been probably asked a million times and I skimmed through the thread but there is a whole lot of info. Does anyone have any tips for breaking in new skates faster? I bought my wife new skates and she says the pain is awful. She didn't have this problem with her old skates of the same size. I'm assuming that's because the old ones were used and already broken in. Mainly she says the skates feel to narrow and she gets blisters on the side of her feet. We baked them at home, only choice where we live, and it didn't help much.
Looked into it some more and I guess it sounds like she might have a lace bite type thing going on. I'll look more into that but any tips would be appreciated still. Thanks in advance.

Grodon

Apr 9, 2017
I got my Skates punched on both. My Right skate feels amazing now. But I think they missed the spot on my left boot by a little bit, is it possible to have it punched again, or have the punch extended a bit so that it's a bit of a cylindrical area and not a spherical spot?

I think the reason is that my arches collapses a lot and the pressure point moves quite a bit from rest to when I load my foot.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
She can get them punched out. How much did you spend on her skates? (If you don't mind me asking)
I got them on clearance for about $100. They are definitely low end skates. She only skates once a week in Rec league. I only got her new skates because I thought it would possibly help her skating. The old skates were from 2004 now a days skates seem to be much lighter.

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I got them on clearance for about $100. They are definitely low end skates. She only skates once a week in Rec league. I only got her new skates because I thought it would possibly help her skating. The old skates were from 2004 now a days skates seem to be much lighter.

Go to a pro shop and tell them the issues she's having. I'm sure they can punch them out.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Go to a pro shop and tell them the issues she's having. I'm sure they can punch them out.

We don't have a pro shop here unfortunately. So I just YouTube a how to video. I may just try to do it myself. The worse thing that can happen is I ruin the skates that hurt her feet and she goes back to the old ones. Thanks for the suggestion I'd never heard of punching out skates before.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Hey all! I'm sorry I know this has been probably asked a million times and I skimmed through the thread but there is a whole lot of info. Does anyone have any tips for breaking in new skates faster? I bought my wife new skates and she says the pain is awful. She didn't have this problem with her old skates of the same size. I'm assuming that's because the old ones were used and already broken in. Mainly she says the skates feel to narrow and she gets blisters on the side of her feet. We baked them at home, only choice where we live, and it didn't help much.

I mean...do they fit?

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
We don't have a pro shop here unfortunately. So I just YouTube a how to video. I may just try to do it myself. The worse thing that can happen is I ruin the skates that hurt her feet and she goes back to the old ones. Thanks for the suggestion I'd never heard of punching out skates before.

You're welcome and good luck. :)

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I bought the same size as the other ones she was wearing. According to the sizing charts after conversions and everything the skates are half a size bigger than her shoes.

A half size bigger than her shoes? No wonder she's getting pain. That would be way too large and would throw everything off. The arch of the boot would be in the wrong spot, the forefoot would be behind where it's supposed to be and likely in a narrower part of the boot ect.

Usually skates fit about 1.5 to 2 sizes below shoe size, but that's not an exact rule. That's only a general guide because each foot is different and some people where their shoes tighter than others. A half size bigger than shoe size is definitely too big though and the only fix to that is to buy a pair of skates that fit properly and are the right size. With growing kids you can have up to a standard bic pen or number 2 pencil width of room down the back when the toes are pushed all the way to the cap, but no more than that. For feet that are full grown the ideal fit is to have a skate that's as snug as possible without pain where your toes are brushing the cap when standing.

All that and more is covered in the skate guide on the first page. Read that and then go to a good shop with a knowledgeable fitter and get some skates that are the right size/fit.

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
A half size bigger than her shoes? No wonder she's getting pain. That would be way too large and would throw everything off. The arch of the boot would be in the wrong spot, the forefoot would be behind where it's supposed to be and likely in a narrower part of the boot ect.

Usually skates fit about 1.5 to 2 sizes below shoe size, but that's not an exact rule. That's only a general guide because each foot is different and some people where their shoes tighter than others. A half size bigger than shoe size is definitely too big though and the only fix to that is to buy a pair of skates that fit properly and are the right size. With growing kids you can have up to a standard bic pen or number 2 pencil width of room down the back when the toes are pushed all the way to the cap, but no more than that. For feet that are full grown the ideal fit is to have a skate that's as snug as possible without pain where your toes are brushing the cap when standing.

All that and more is covered in the skate guide on the first page. Read that and then go to a good shop with a knowledgeable fitter and get some skates that are the right size/fit.
I don't mean the skates sizing is a half size bigger I mean after converting skate sizing into shoe sizing. In conversion her shoe size is 9 and the skates she's wearing is 9.5 after conversion. (That's all in women's sizing) I never thought half size would cause so much issues. After conversions I wear 1.5 size bigger than I wear my shoes. Unfortunately a trip to a good Pro shop would be a very long trip for us. Might just have to put her back in the old skates and wait till we go on an out of state vacation. Thanks for the help!

althoma1

Nov 21, 2013
I don't mean the skates sizing is a half size bigger I mean after converting skate sizing into shoe sizing. In conversion her shoe size is 9 and the skates she's wearing is 9.5 after conversion. (That's all in women's sizing) I never thought half size would cause so much issues. After conversions I wear 1.5 size bigger than I wear my shoes. Unfortunately a trip to a good Pro shop would be a very long trip for us. Might just have to put her back in the old skates and wait till we go on an out of state vacation. Thanks for the help!

I see. That doesn't necessarily mean they're only a half size too big - they could be a full size or more too big. Shoe size isn't the best way to determine skate size as some people wear their shoes tighter than others and, like skates, different brands of shoes are sized differently.

Personally, I wear an 8EE skate, 10W dress shoes, 10 sandals and usually 10.5 running shoes. So I'm dropping down 2 full sizes or 2.5 vs. running shoes and my toes barely feather the caps when standing and just come off when in a skating position. Some people drop down even further.

If you can't get to a good shop then the next best option is to measure her feet like in this video: http://www.hockeytutorial.com/uncategorized/ice-hockey-skate-sizing-chart-width-and-length/

You can then use the chart on the same page as a general guide (keep in mind that it was made in 2011; so some sizing for some brands has changed) as well as post the numbers here for general sizing advice. Trying skates on is the ideal, but working with actual foot measurements is much better than guessing best on shoe size.

My feet are 10.6 inches long...the chart suggests someone with that length of foot should take a size 8 skate in most brands (although in some brands I can fit into a 7.5 and in others I need an 8.5) and that is what I use. I did not base my skate purchase on that chart, but actually went to stores and tried them on, but it does appear the chart is fairly accurate based on my measurements. It should at least be able to tell you if the length is within a half size or way off.

ki11joy

Aug 28, 2007
I got new skates today, went from the Mission Fuel 95 AG to the CCM JetSpeed 290 for the discounted $339.99 USD price. Didn't even think to look at the new CCM line which included the FT380. This is apparently based on the 290 with some features of the 300 and is priced at $399.99 new. I was originally looking at the outgoing Bauer Vapors, but they didn't have my size in the X800 or X700, so the most direct comparison was with the JetSpeed 290. I didn't think the FT380 would be priced so similarly (there weren't any price tags on the display models). I thought I had done my research but evidently I didn't do enough.

Did I screw up by not even considering the new JetSpeed line? Should I try and exchange the 290 for the FT380? Can I even do that after baking?

EDIT: Exchanged the JetSpeed 290 for the JetSpeed FT380. The original store didn't have the FT380 so I went to another location of the same retailer and discovered that I was not only sized incorrectly, but given incorrect instructions after baking. I walked out more comfortable with the skate fit, more confident about my decision, and much happier with the experience. I paid a little more for the newer model, but the trickle-down features from the JetSpeed 300 at that price point and the better employee service made the expense worth it. Can't wait to hit the ice with these.

Last edited:

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
I bought the CCM Jetspeed FT1's today. They felt good out of the box and so much better after being baked. The heel lock and fit is unreal. Best heel lock I've ever witnessed. Better than the 2015 model. $999.99 plux tax, though. You can return them within 90 days if you don't like them, too. These skates are unreal.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Any recommendations for someone with flat feet?

I'm in a pair of Bauer Supremes and by the end of the first period the pain is pretty distracting. Close to numb by the third. And after the game I have to wait a few minutes after removing them before I can stand or put on shoes. Feels like the tendons running along the bottom of my feet are on fire. And I'm well past the period where they should have broken in and gradually become comfortable.

The rep at Total Hockey recommended the CCM Ribcore line, but they didn't have the right size for me to try on. Years ago I had worn the Reebok skates with the pumps, of which the Ribcore seems to be the spiritual successor, so I was wondering if the general shape has been preserved or if anyone might have other recommendations. Thanks!

*I'd only be looking to spend $200-300 USD, don't need anything fancy for beer league.*

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
What footbed are you using now? I would suggest trying out Superfeet or Bauer Speed Plate's if you haven't already.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
What footbed are you using now? I would suggest trying out Superfeet or Bauer Speed Plate's if you haven't already.

Just the generic insole (footbed the same thing?) that came in the skates. Some of the insoles I looked at were $40-50, whereas a skate upgrade wouldn't cost me much more after selling the Supremes. The rep was very knowledgeable and didn't seem to think a new insole would solve my problem, so I was reluctant to take the risk. I really liked my old Reeboks before the bottom began to tear away, so if the new Ribcores are anything like those I'd probably prefer to make the switch.

gswift

Mar 27, 2013
Just the generic insole (footbed the same thing?) that came in the skates. Some of the insoles I looked at were $40-50, whereas a skate upgrade wouldn't cost me much more after selling the Supremes. The rep was very knowledgeable and didn't seem to think a new insole would solve my problem, so I was reluctant to take the risk. I really liked my old Reeboks before the bottom began to tear away, so if the new Ribcores are anything like those I'd probably prefer to make the switch.
Without knowing which Ribcores you were previously in, it's hard to say. You should read the 1st page of this thread for a good description of changes...

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
I bought the CCM Jetspeed FT1's today. They felt good out of the box and so much better after being baked. The heel lock and fit is unreal. Best heel lock I've ever witnessed. Better than the 2015 model. $999.99 plux tax, though. You can return them within 90 days if you don't like them, too. These skates are unreal.

I wish I could afford that :help:

I'll get it when its on sale for $200 in 2020

arielr

May 3, 2017
question regarding skates

i got into hockey last year and now have the means to get my first pair of skates. i went to my lhs today and tried on a few pairs. ive had my eyes on the supremes for awhile but unfortuantly my rink didn't have any that i could try on. i tried on some vapor's and i found that i did like the snug fit in the box but wish it was a little wider in the ankle? wondering if maybe supremes would help with this? i know i want to stick with bauer ccm's dont feel comfortable for me at all. any and all advice/commets would be great ty

manictech

Apr 9, 2012
Tucson,AZ
Just wanted to share what I ended up doing with my wife's skates who was experiencing foot pain. After getting some replies here and going through the thread it sounding like punching them out was going to be the best choice. With no pro shop we has to DIY.I had her put lip stick on her feet on the spots that were giving her issues. She then put her skate on wiggled around so the lip stick was left on the inside of the boot. I heated up the points for a few minutes and then kneaded the boot with the handle of my screw driver and thumb. She says they feel much better now. Thanks for the advice from everyone here!

Elias Pettersson

I'm not a troll
Jan 22, 2014
i got into hockey last year and now have the means to get my first pair of skates. i went to my lhs today and tried on a few pairs. ive had my eyes on the supremes for awhile but unfortuantly my rink didn't have any that i could try on. i tried on some vapor's and i found that i did like the snug fit in the box but wish it was a little wider in the ankle? wondering if maybe supremes would help with this? i know i want to stick with bauer ccm's dont feel comfortable for me at all. any and all advice/commets would be great ty

Vapor is the most narrow line. Supreme is in the middle. Nexus is wide volume.

Honestly though, I would throw out all concepts of brands and lines and just go to your hockey store and try on as many skates as you can and get the most comfortable one. Skate fit is so important that you shouldn't compromise even a little bit. Nothing worse than buying skates and realizing that they hurt your feet in the middle of a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad